Goodbye Jesus

Lyin' For Jeebus!

Skepticaldude541

Here's the story. Read the comments too. It's ok to lie since it is supposedly for the greater good.

This is ridiculous. If her parents will do this now, wait 'til the couple gets married ...

Well, it does have precedent based on Jesus. He did lie in John 7:8 when he told his disciples he would not go to Jerusalem, then went. Though keep in mind that lying is actually not prohibited according to the Bible. The ten commandments says "you will not bear false witness" which is a type of lying, however I cannot remember any place in the Bible where which Yahweh actually prohibits lying in general.

After all, doesn't Yahweh himself deceive? "O LORD, you deceived me, and I was deceived" (Jeremiah 20:7)

Agreed NonRN. Jesus lied all the time, telling his disciples they could wither fig trees, throw mountains into the sea, raise the dead, drink poison, etc...

They're just emulating him and being more christ-like.

however I cannot remember any place in the Bible where which Yahweh actually prohibits lying in general.

I'm assuming you mean in the OT because in Revelation it's pretty clear that lying is a no-no (liars don't make the cut). In places in the OT lying almost seemed to be a virtue.

mwc

I think a lot of believers getitin their head that non-believers "don't count" and you don't have to be honest with them. I actually think that they don't see our humanity, which is sad. You would think a religion that uses so much "compassion," "love," and "mercy" language would have a better handle on dealing with people of all varieties as people.

I was just listening to a sermon on the radio this morning on the way to work. The topic was basically, "waiting patiently for Jebus to come back".

The guy claimed that the first mention of the messiah is Gen 3:15. So of course, the first thing I did when I got here was look it up.

Gen. 3:15

And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

W?! T?! F?!

I was already thinking, "What is there in Gen. 3 that relates to Jebus?" and I found that.

Evidently, ANYTHING that might be a little confusing or abiguous is a revelation of the coming of the Holey One.

Sheesh!

I was just listening to a sermon on the radio this morning on the way to work. The topic was basically, "waiting patiently for Jebus to come back".

The guy claimed that the first mention of the messiah is Gen 3:15. So of course, the first thing I did when I got here was look it up.

Gen. 3:15

And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

W?! T?! F?!

I was already thinking, "What is there in Gen. 3 that relates to Jebus?" and I found that.

Evidently, ANYTHING that might be a little confusing or abiguous is a revelation of the coming of the Holey One.

Sheesh!

Actually, that is fault of the religious Jews. That is their interpretation, the Christians just adapted it. The ancient Jewish Rabbis have some really messed interpretations of things in the Hebrew Bible.

Actually, that is fault of the religious Jews. That is their interpretation, the Christians just adapted it. The ancient Jewish Rabbis have some really messed interpretations of things in the Hebrew Bible.

I hope this doesn't come across as confrontational, but please explain.

I haven't heard that before and that's not what I'm getting from the text at all. I can't see how anyone could take that for a messianic prophesy.

In context: (KJV)

Gen. 3:13-16

13 And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

17And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

This is god speaking. First to Eve (v. 13), then to the snake (vs. 14,15), then to Eve again (v. 16) and finally to Adam (v. 17). The bolded verse is directed at the snake.

I'm looking at an RSV study bible that has in the footnotes,

Vs,14 & 15 The curse contains an old explanation of why the serpent crawls rather than walks and why men are instinctively hostile towards it.

That's how I read it too. Again, I don't see any prophesy at all in that, much less one of the son of god. I just don't see any justification for that radio preacher to say this is the first mention of Jesus in the bible.