Goodbye Jesus

Amish Not The Only Group Of Idiots....

Vixentrox

Guest I Love Dog

.....bring on the Orthodox Jews. Argueing over using an elevator or a hot plate on the Sabbat? Freaking idiots for their evil barbarian god.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33482768/ns/us_news-faith//

Not using electrical items on the Sabbath? Does that include jaws of life, fibrillators, emergency life-saving apparatus, etc.? How ridiculous can religion get in its pursuit of control of its believers?

I thought the Jews banging their heads against an old temple wall was bad enough but.....!

.....bring on the Orthodox Jews. Argueing over using an elevator or a hot plate on the Sabbat? Freaking idiots for their evil barbarian god.

Not using electrical items on the Sabbath? Does that include jaws of life, fibrillators, emergency life-saving apparatus, etc.? How ridiculous can religion get in its pursuit of control of its believers?

I thought the Jews banging their heads against an old temple wall was bad enough but.....!

I love how in Religious, Bill Maher went to Israel where they make these Shabbat elevators and other devices to use on Saturday. One of them was a wheelchair that used compressed air to propel it so no "work" was done. After the host so graciously explains how the chair works, Maher asks the question everyone should be asking...

"Don't you think you should be asking god why he made you crippled in the first place rather than bending over backwards to follow his silly laws?"

*or at least something like that, I can't remember his exact words*

Jewish law, or halacha, forbids the use of electrical items on the Sabbath. But for decades rabbis have allowed special elevators that automatically stop at every floor without the riders pushing any buttons, permitting Orthodox Jews to ride them and live in high-rise buildings.

Haha, so even before they couldn't do the "work" of pushing a friggin' button!

So now, instead of using the elevator, they have to lug stuff up several flights of stairs. How is that NOT work?

Damn, the insanity can be mind-boggling, can't it?

Why isn't breathing and walking considered work too? Shouldn't a fundamentalist orthodox Jew hold his breath during sabbath?

Not working sure takes a lot of work.

Haha, so even before they couldn't do the "work" of pushing a friggin' button!

So now, instead of using the elevator, they have to lug stuff up several flights of stairs. How is that NOT work?

Damn, the insanity can be mind-boggling, can't it?

I love how the "work" they restrict on the Sabbath ends up making more work for them than if they had just let them have their electricity. Where in the bible does it even forbid electricity anyway? I wasn't aware that elevators existed in BC. Kind of makes you sympathize with St Paul, doesn't it?

It says you can't light a fire on the sabbath and they interpret that to include electricity. Insane? Yes but they enjoy being weird it sets them apart from the sinful.

I love how in Religious, Bill Maher went to Israel where they make these Shabbat elevators and other devices to use on Saturday. One of them was a wheelchair that used compressed air to propel it so no "work" was done. After the host so graciously explains how the chair works, Maher asks the question everyone should be asking...

"Don't you think you should be asking god why he made you crippled in the first place rather than bending over backwards to follow his silly laws?"

I think he also mentioned how these laws having become nothing but an obstacle to work around. They may not technically be breaking the laws, but they aren't following whatever the original intention was.

That's funny, and too true.

Maybe some good will come out of this, and it'll lead some orthodox jews to change to Conservative or Reform Judaism. Better yet, maybe they'll deconvert altogether.