Goodbye Jesus

Would the world be better...

Ouroboros

When I was Christian, I had the notion that Christianity would create world peace and harmony, only if everyone would turn to Jesus and become Christians.

Today, I'm of a different opinion, since there's so many demoninations of Christians, so even if everyone were Christian, which kind would they have to be? Would it really stop any wars?

Thoughts... especially from Christians on this site...

Wouldn't change a thing in my opinion. Like you said, even if everyone was "christian" in name, I think you would see denominational warfare break out fairly quickly as different points of "revealed" theology create divisions between the groups.

It could never work, because you could never have an agreed upon set of rules & morals due to all of the contradictions & duplicity of the Bible.

Xtians never agree with each other. All that would happen is sectarian warfare and bloodshed with everyone thinking they have god on thier side.

If everyone was Amish, World War 3 would be fought with sticks and stones.

If everyone was Amish, World War 3 would be fought with sticks and stones.

Now that would be a fun fight to watch. :begood:

If everyone in the world was Christian, they'd still find reasons to fight. There are so many Christian sects, and so many of them are just as crazy as Islamic extremists that they'd find reasons to war with each other.

Both sides would declare alliance with Jesus while accusing each other of blasphemy. On the bright side, I wouldn't have to live in such a world, because in a world in which everyone is Christian, I'd obviously be dead.

Another good thing about an all-Christian world is that it would almost certainly be doomed. If they didn't kill each other in a matter of decades, then they'd almost certainly get wiped out when the next asteroid hits in eight hundred years or so.

You see, since nobody on an all-Christian planet wants to learn about a universe in which humans are not special, NASA will have been long abolished, and thus there would be no advanced warnings of incoming celestial bodies, nor would there be any means by which to deflect such an object even if they could see it coming.

You could almost see them trying to pray to make 1950 DA miss Earth. Or maybe they'll think it's part of the rapture and welcome it with open arms.

When I was Christian, I had the notion that Christianity would create world peace and harmony, only if everyone would turn to Jesus and become Christians.

Today, I'm of a different opinion, since there's so many demoninations of Christians, so even if everyone were Christian, which kind would they have to be? Would it really stop any wars?

Thoughts... especially from Christians on this site...

The bible even talks about those teaching a false christ.

Xianity is good for nothing other than motivating certain kinds of people. Motivate them to do what?

Christianity and Islam both will always be potentially dangerous, unless they undergo a big overhaul. But wait! That is imposible as those holy books are the word of a god and must not be altered. :dead:

Concerning the bellicose humanity as a whole –

Joke A:

In a history class, the teacher asked a student, “Do you like war?”

“No.”

“Why?”

“There were wars, and there was history.

Joke B:

Sometime approaching the millennium year 2000, a comedian said he would summarize the history of mankind of last 2000 years in half an hour. He explained, “How do I do that? I take out the wars.”

Look at history: humans have to fight each other, this is an irrefutable fact.

So Christian or not, matters not. Ponder on middle age history, weren’t the kingdoms Christian? They were fighting each other.

WWI, WWII, we have heard that the Axis and the united-front soldiers they called on truces via speakers, telecodes, or in-person, so both sides could celebrate Christmas Dec 24 25. If they celebrated Christmas, were they not Christians?

Even if the whole world are Christians, there won’t be peace.

Wouldn't change a thing in my opinion. Like you said, even if everyone was "christian" in name, I think you would see denominational warfare break out fairly quickly as different points of "revealed" theology create divisions between the groups. 

Agreed. Even if everyone converted to one sect, it wouldn't be long before it broke up again.

The history of the religion dictates that it will faction..Judaism factioned into Christianity and Islam. Roman Catholicism was united til 1400ish then there was the great schism. Then there was the potestant reformation..now it's a fucking mess. It's just the nature of the beast.

Concerning the bellicose humanity as a whole –

Joke A:

In a history class, the teacher asked a student, “Do you like war?”

“No.”

“Why?”

“There were wars, and there was history.

Joke B:

Sometime approaching the millennium year 2000, a comedian said he would summarize the history of mankind of last 2000 years in half an hour. He explained, “How do I do that? I take out the wars.”

Look at history: humans have to fight each other, this is an irrefutable fact.

So Christian or not, matters not. Ponder on middle age history, weren’t the kingdoms Christian? They were fighting each other.

WWI, WWII, we have heard that the Axis and the united-front soldiers they called on truces via speakers, telecodes, or in-person, so both sides could celebrate Christmas Dec 24 25. If they celebrated Christmas, were they not Christians?

Even if the whole world are Christians, there won’t be peace.

I do not believe most people who have been through war really like war. And since when did governments ever encourage people to think for themselves and question? Governments have done the opposite plenty of times.

Xianity got its BIG start by a government seeing it as a useful tool in keeping people in line, give unto caesar what is caesars, while valuing ignorance. That is what the bible is, is the valuing of ignorance and what god wants while obeying the caesar that rules your country. Heh, the bible is inconsistent and contradictory for a reason; so an "authority" can tell you what god wants. Like War for example.

Imagine a world where there was NO religion! Everyone was just judged by their actions and how they treated all life... love, compassion, mercy, integrity were the issues, instead of stupid labels miscommunicating the real nature of each person...

Maybe that 'killer asteroid' Neal says is coming in 800 years will be a reason to set aside our petty differences as to focus on a bigger problem. :eek: It's a shame that it may take the probability of our total demise to realize we are all in the same 'fox hole'. I think that we can find a way to save ourselves though... maybe not just from the asteroid, but from each other.

Imagine a world where there was NO religion! Everyone was just judged by their actions and how they treated all life... love, compassion, mercy, integrity were the issues, instead of stupid labels miscommunicating the real nature of each person...

Maybe that 'killer asteroid' Neal says is coming in 800 years will be a reason to set aside our petty differences as to focus on a bigger problem.  :eek: It's a shame that it may take the probability of our total demise to realize we are all in the same 'fox hole'. I think that we can find a way to save ourselves though... maybe not just from the asteroid, but from each other.

We must get real first. We must stop saying "god says" if we want to reduce much bigotry and prejudice in the world.

We must stop worshiping heaven like a herion addict worships dope. The here and now is what is most important and not blindly jumping through hoops to get into heaven. It is real easy to have your head in the sand when you are living to get into heaven.

Amanda

It's a shame that it may take the probability of our total demise to realize we are all in the same 'fox hole'. I think that we can find a way to save ourselves though... maybe not just from the asteroid, but from each other.

You are not alone in those sentiments. We should make war with the nasty part of mother nature and not with each other. Disease, famine, over population, natural disasters of both terrestrial and exraterrestrial causes. Prolonging life spans. Technology and respect for the environment is our salvation and not fables.

Maybe that 'killer asteroid' Neal says is coming in 800 years will be a reason to set aside our petty differences as to focus on a bigger problem.  :eek: It's a shame that it may take the probability of our total demise to realize we are all in the same 'fox hole'. I think that we can find a way to save ourselves though... maybe not just from the asteroid, but from each other.

We've given up our religion, shouldn't you?

We've given up our religion, shouldn't you?

Vixentrox... IMO, religion is NO solution! Perhaps spirituality is important... having many paths, defined many ways, same results?

You could almost see them trying to pray to make 1950 DA miss Earth.  Or maybe they'll think it's part of the rapture and welcome it with open arms.

That puts a very scary image in my mind. :eek:

I remember back when I realized how many types of christians there really were. I admit, for years, I had been the type of christian that just focused on the love of god and trying to be like jesus. I was a "nice" christian. Do unto others, etc.

It was about five years ago that I woke up and saw reality. I saw how many christians weren't really "nice" and they focused on the wrath instead of the love.

That was part of the downfall of my own spirituality. I could see mean people hiding behind the curtain of being a "jesus follower" and not acting that way at all. All they were doing was using relgion to act out thier own agenda which wasn't so nice. :Hmm:

How could one claim to be so spiritual, yet have so much hatred and intolerance for others inside? It was then that I realized that our world's problems would NOT be solved if everyone was a christian. :twitch:

I remember back when I realized how many types of christians there really were. I admit, for years, I had been the type of christian that just focused on the love of god and trying to be like jesus. I was a "nice" christian. Do unto others, etc.

I did that also. I gave 110% into my faith.

It was about five years ago that I woke up and saw reality. I saw how many christians weren't really "nice" and they focused on the wrath instead of the love.

That was part of the downfall of my own spirituality. I could see mean people hiding behind the curtain of being a "jesus follower" and not acting that way at all. All they were doing was using relgion to act out thier own agenda which wasn't so nice. :Hmm:

How could one claim to be so spiritual, yet have so much hatred and intolerance for others inside? It was then that I realized that our world's problems would NOT be solved if everyone was a christian. :twitch:

Happened to me too. I saw that one denomination refused to work or talk with another just because they didn't teach exactly the same in some extremely minor issues.

I did that also. I gave 110% into my faith.

Happened to me too. I saw that one denomination refused to work or talk with another just because they didn't teach exactly the same in some extremely minor issues.

Off course they are gonna fight. You can already see it now. Each denomination curses the other by saying that the other is "inferior form of christianity". Ireland was a good example of the feud between the "followers of christ".

The world would not be a "better" place primarily due to the fact that the Christian preconception of the human ideal as constituted by the various behavioural, perceptual and psychological ideologies imposed upon adherents by the bible are not only at times antithetical to natural human drives and behaviour, they are also extremely myopic and idealistic in their implication, which will inevitably lead to conflict as to their emphasis or full significance. This is how conflict between "churches" or "denominations" begins. Plus, we would have people being tried for imaginary crimes such as blasphemy or witchcraft, all of which largely depend upon the preconceptions and intentions of the accuser and/or victim. Also bear in mind that the very critical and creative capacities many of us on this sight seem to regard as the single most sacred aspect of our human natures will be effectively castrated; able to function only within very definite restrictions and parameters as established by "the word from on high."

't would be Hell on earth.

Try this article John Calvin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and scroll down to Reformed Geneva.

It may give and idea what a Christian society could be like.