Goodbye Jesus

Arghhhhh!

RJT

I was so enjoying participating in the discussions here, but now I fear that Jesus doesn't want me to. I use the internet regularly and it all works fine. But for reasons that only God knows every time I sign in to Ex-Chrisitian.net my whole system slows down to being almost frozen. I mean, I almost have to retrim my fingernails between page changes! It's totally prohibitive, which explains my absence for these past weeks (not that anyone has been pining for my input.) But today I'm biting the bullet and taking the time necessary to at least sign in and wish you all a...what? A merry Xmas? Christmas? Holiday? WHATEVER! May it be merry...whatever that means for you :) Oh, here's a link that a former Jehovah's Witness, a friend of mine, sent me. Interesting comments. http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/186399/1/Do-Atheists-Celebrate-Christmas.

Are you operating something more than a Compaq Computer or an older HP? If so, you may want to upgrade your machine. Pages draw slower also depending on the number of people on the internet. With this being xmas, the load will be enormous. Try later at night, like I do. I do most of my surfing after 9pm. It ain't Iesus keeping you from surfing.

I have similar issues sometimes when I use the older of our two computers. It's a G3 Powermac, one of the old green ones, with only a 300 mHz processor - so it's slower than smeg. I help it along by using the simplest skin available for forums, putting an adblocker on my browser, turning off java, trying not to run many programs at once... it's a bit primitive, but I can't always use the newer computer.

So I feel your pain.

When I changed the seasonal background to the comfy background, the shit got so slow it was like running through knee-deep mud. When I switched it back to the pretty candles, everything started running like shit from a goose. Still, I have to go back to the main page to switch forums. Annoying.

When I changed the seasonal background to the comfy background, the shit got so slow it was like running through knee-deep mud. When I switched it back to the pretty candles, everything started running like shit from a goose. Still, I have to go back to the main page to switch forums. Annoying.

It was the other way round for me, but yeah, somehow the skin you choose for the forums does seem to matter in some cases.

Thanks for your suggestions, friends! I hadn't thought of changing the skin. I went to the Lo-Fi skin, which seems to be the simplest and least demanding for the system, and things are moving a LOT more quickly now. Whew! In reply to the question about my sysem: it's a fairly modern computer running Windows XP. All other sites on the Net work just fine. It was only this site that bogged down as soon as I signed in. Weird! But not if the skins have this slowing effect. Anyway, thanks for getting back to me and for your help. Maybe I'll have some time today to get caught up a bit on some of the "hotter" threads :) Happy Holidays! RJT

Yeah! I was on the "Comfy" skin as well, and it was HORRIBLE! I switched to the Lo-Fi setting and all is running smoothly. Whew! RJT

Thanks for your suggestions, friends! I hadn't thought of changing the skin. I went to the Lo-Fi skin, which seems to be the simplest and least demanding for the system, and things are moving a LOT more quickly now. Whew! In reply to the question about my sysem: it's a fairly modern computer running Windows XP. All other sites on the Net work just fine. It was only this site that bogged down as soon as I signed in. Weird! But not if the skins have this slowing effect. Anyway, thanks for getting back to me and for your help. Maybe I'll have some time today to get caught up a bit on some of the "hotter" threads :) Happy Holidays! RJT

Glad it sped up for you. There are a lot of reasons why graphics draw slowly: browser capability and programming skill are just two of them.