Goodbye Jesus

My Dad just found out.....

trashy

Somehow he found my web site, which I thought was anonymous. And there it is, "How I Became an Atheist"......

I *so* wanted to avoid this whole issue. I guess that was stupid. Now he can spend the remaining years of his life worrying about his son going to hell for eternity. Great, JUST great.

:Doh::ugh:

Ouch.

I am so sorry Trashy. This is tough, and I really have no words to say. ::hugs::

I *so* wanted to avoid this whole issue.  I guess that was stupid.  Now he can spend the remaining years of his life worrying about his son going to hell for eternity.  Great, JUST great.

:Doh:   :ugh:

You can even things out if you explain to him that you have to worry about him wasting his "one and only" life. And No, I'm not being sarcastic. If we as non-believers do not express our concern for our loved one's beliefs, then they will always have the upper hand when ladling out guilt. :shrug:

Big owie. :vent:

So....how is it going so far? And can you tell us more about him? This is a tough one. :ugh:

*Sends hugs*

How did your dad find your website? Was it bookmarked? A lot of times, websites aren't anonymous even when we think they are. Basically, if you put it on the internet, it's public. So that's why I avoid posting things like my snail mail address, phone number, etc. on my personal website. I also have a separate e-mail addy for it.

Somehow he found my web site, which I thought was anonymous.  And there it is, "How I Became an Atheist"......

I *so* wanted to avoid this whole issue.  I guess that was stupid.  Now he can spend the remaining years of his life worrying about his son going to hell for eternity.  Great, JUST great.

:Doh:   :ugh:

Was gonna happen amigo..

All the skullsweat in world won't change him, nor his opinion of his version of daLard.

He isn't going to like it, and may not like you for a bit, suspect that he'll think you are in a *rebellious stage* and "get over it"..

My Calvinist mentor even after a decade of walking away from his OSAS meeting hall still thinks that "nivek will return to his senses"..

Never easy on best of daze..

That amigo is why ExC is here..

kL

*Sends hugs*

How did your dad find your website?  Was it bookmarked?  A lot of times, websites aren't anonymous even when we think they are.  Basically, if you put it on the internet, it's public.  So that's why I avoid posting things like my snail mail address, phone number, etc. on my personal website.  I also have a separate e-mail addy for it.

That's the part that bugs me the most. I have no identifying info there. gmail account instead of my personal domain name. Plus I didn't think he was searching for any such thing. I have a suspicion that someone tipped him off about it, probably a 'caring' sister or brother in the lard. He claims he found a link off of our family genealogy page but that page's logs don't show any such thing.

You can even things out if you explain to him that you have to worry about him wasting his "one and only" life. And No, I'm not being sarcastic. If we as non-believers do not express our concern for our loved one's beliefs, then they will always have the upper hand when ladling out guilt.  :shrug:

He's not one to play the martyr. He's in his mid-70's and is in his 45th (or so) year of full-time 'ministry' - frankly I didn't have any desire for him to change anything. I also didn't want him to worry about me. I can see so much great value in his life. Every time someone got married or had a baby or was in an accident or found out about a terminal illness he was one of the first people to get a call. He has been an intimate part of SO many people's lives! He has performed valuable services. I don't see much to feel bad for, yet he now thinks that I have somehow invalidated all that.

Oh well, at least it'll prevent boredom in the near future. :shrug:

Sorry about that trashy. I understand wanting to let family believe what they want for their own happiness etc. But I always worry that if I'm not honest with my family about the things that are important in my life then I am cheating them of the real me.

Maybe this will open communication in a positve manner? At least I hope it does for you.

PR

Trasy, is this on a free site like Geocities or do you own your own URL? If you own a URL, anyone can find you through the whois database.

But you're probably right, most likely someone else found it and ratted you out. That happens a lot on people's blogs, and they get fired from work for complaining about the boss or something.