Goodbye Jesus

Guilt

movingon

So, I'm looking for advice on getting over guilt. Books, whatever you have. I'd love to get into some type of therapy but unfortunately I'm broke and have no insurance right now anyway. It was literally keeping me up last night, guilt about not believing in God anymore and not following Him. I don't believe He's there or that he cares or i would consider going back to religion just to appease the guilt, but honestly, its the last thing I want to do, I'm just not sure how to break free from it. The guilt affects every part of my life from sleep schedules, to relationships. I don't do things I want to at times because it's "wrong" from the christian perspective and even though I'm trying to leave that behind, I still feel the guilt from it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hope you all are having a good holiday season!

So, I'm looking for advice on getting over guilt. Books, whatever you have. I'd love to get into some type of therapy but unfortunately I'm broke and have no insurance right now anyway. It was literally keeping me up last night, guilt about not believing in God anymore and not following Him. I don't believe He's there or that he cares or i would consider going back to religion just to appease the guilt, but honestly, its the last thing I want to do, I'm just not sure how to break free from it. The guilt affects every part of my life from sleep schedules, to relationships. I don't do things I want to at times because it's "wrong" from the christian perspective and even though I'm trying to leave that behind, I still feel the guilt from it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bear in mind that I may not know what I'm talking about and so this diagnosis may be totally wrong, but it sounds to me like you have a case of scrupulosity — a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder characterized by strong feelings of guilt related to religion.

Anyway, I suggest you Google "scrupulosity" to see if it fits and, if so, check out amazon.com for some books on it. Good luck!

Guest I Love Dog

Making people feel guilty if they don't believe is all part of the plan of Christianity.

I suggest that don't worry about the guilt at this stage, just read enough literature or visit many of the excellent Web sites that will dispel the myth of god and religion for you. Your guilt will then disappear.

I suggest getting the book Jesus Never Existed. It's a fantastic read and shows just what a huge confidence trick has been pulled over a third of the World's population. The book isn't expensive, but just about all of the info is on the Web site, anyway.

Another of my favorite sites is Evil Bible. where you can read all the nastiest bits from the bible, all the inconsistencies and the rubbish.

I promise you that it won't take you too long to lose your feelings of guilt because even just those two sites will brng feelings of anger towards those that indoctrinated you and caused you to lose a huge part of your life to delusion in its highest art form.

Go in peace and lose that guilt. You don't deserve to have it.

Just remember, that guilt is what is used to keep you in Christianity in the first place, so it's going to remain for a bit until you come to grips with where you are. "I love dog" has it right. And Education is the key. Don't be overwhelmed by the ignorance of the bible writers. Remember that they knew no better.

Thanks for the advice guys. There is so much information out there from both sides of the arguement that it is a bit overwhelming. Hope all is well!