Goodbye Jesus

The Mormons Are Coming

Arctic

Well the local Mormons came for a visit,

despite it being wickedly cold,

I always enjoy learning other peoples take on religion and just social with them,

so we talked for a good 10 minutes , asking me the normal entry questions,

they seem to just deflect any of my criticism or say how god spoke to them personally but at the same time acknowledging that they never heard a physical voice,

but anyway I don't know a whole lot about Mormons, being raised as Baptist/Pentecostal xian,

they gave me there Mormon bible and I read a few pages and it looks worse then the bible am used to,

just was wondering if anyone had any dealings with the Mormons and your take on this religion.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Well the local Mormons came for a visit,

despite it being wickedly cold,

I always enjoy learning other peoples take on religion and just social with them,

so we talked for a good 10 minutes , asking me the normal entry questions,

they seem to just deflect any of my criticism or say how god spoke to them personally but at the same time acknowledging that they never heard a physical voice,

but anyway I don't know a whole lot about Mormons, being raised as Baptist/Pentecostal xian,

they gave me there Mormon bible and I read a few pages and it looks worse then the bible am used to,

just was wondering if anyone had any dealings with the Mormons and your take on this religion.

The weirdness is similar to Scientology, but couched in terms of revelation to Joseph Smith.

It is an effective meme and a good example of how a religion can be believed even though the precepts are absolutely unbelievable.

This site listing the top 10 weird beliefs of the Mormons (with scriptural documentation) might interest you. Lousy site, but it's informative.

wow, thanks for that list,

other worlds, other gods

pretty crazy stuff

but no coffee that just about counts me out,

I could just see myself having a mental brake down struggling over lust for folgers,

when they mentioned that jesus came to amercas and how late there book was made, red flags started going off lol

Did you read the story of how the Book of Mormon was "translated" from the golden plates? That should set off red flags. You could also watch the Southpark episode about the Mormons, it's accurate in that mater.

Did you read the story of how the Book of Mormon was "translated" from the golden plates? That should set off red flags. You could also watch the Southpark episode about the Mormons, it's accurate in that mater.

Bingo! It is an accurate summation of Mormonism disguised as humor.

My link

There is the southpark episode about Mormonism. Its super funny.

Yes, red flags went up about Mormons in my own personal spirituality search. The first was no coffee or tea, the second was definitely "Jesus popped into American to talk with the Natives, and some jerk named Joe Smith." Then I found out about the magic underwear. That's a hoot and a half.

How about that Mormon holy underwear? It's such a fashion statement!

Mormonunderwear.jpg

Mormons believe some of the most fucked-up shit I've evr heard of. I like Mormons, though. They are friendly, decent, intelligent, and well-groomed.

wow, thanks for that list,

other worlds, other gods

pretty crazy stuff

but no coffee that just about counts me out,

I could just see myself having a mental brake down struggling over lust for folgers,

when they mentioned that jesus came to amercas and how late there book was made, red flags started going off lol

I was a Mormon for two years (1976-1978) and the fact that the Mormon’s believed we could become gods ourselves actually made more sense to me and was appealing. Eternity is a very very long time, certainly long enough to learn how to become a god and start a planet of your own. I thought it made more sense the praising The Big Three for eternity, that would get dull.

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb...

My link

Thanks for the link. The South Park guys should go into the educational film business.

Thank you for the link Midnight. The Mormon episode is spot on and hilarious at the same time. Dum, dum, dum, dum dum.

Though I have heard of it, I had never seen any episodes of South Park before.

Thank you for the link Midnight. The Mormon episode is spot on and hilarious at the same time. Dum, dum, dum, dum dum.

Though I have heard of it, I had never seen any episodes of South Park before.

Why miss Deva, you've missed out! Some of the best life lessons were learned with Cartman and the gang!

Yes, Par4, I am now busily trying to fill in the gaps in my poor education.

The damn sect. People raised to believe bullshit. "Our religion doesn't allow baptising children,so I was baptised at age 7."(I actually heard that one)

Mormons believe some of the most fucked-up shit I've evr heard of. I like Mormons, though. They are friendly, decent, intelligent, and well-groomed.

That's one of the insidious parts of religion: it seems so perfectly normal from within, yet so bat-shit crazy after some critical thought.Wendytwitch.gif

My link

I laughed and almost puked at the same time.

I was a Mormon for two years (1976-1978) and the fact that the Mormon’s believed we could become gods ourselves actually made more sense to me and was appealing. Eternity is a very very long time, certainly long enough to learn how to become a god and start a planet of your own. I thought it made more sense the praising The Big Three for eternity, that would get dull.

IBF, also know as Mrs. B., YOU are a god!!!!!!! :kiss:

Guest Net Eng

Yes, Par4, I am now busily trying to fill in the gaps in my poor education.

I'm with Par on this. South Park is a must for a well rounded education. :grin:

I have some experience with Mormons; they usually are really nice people. I've needled one of my friends though about some of their beliefs; especially historical stuff that has no archeological evidence. It's interesting to observe how religious people just sort of "fade out" when you bring up the tricky stuff.

As usual, only "men" have the gift of prophecy, apparently. Women were given the wonderful gift of "child-bearing".

Yeah, I want my own planet. Where I will rule...yeah, with a rod of iron. Worship me and my kingdom !!! Righteous.

I absolutely love South Park. It used to strictly puerile and full of sophomoric humor, but now it is full of socio-political commentary mixed with puerile jokes. They've done their take on other religions like Scientology.

Glad there are so many Southpark fans here. I love the show. The Scientology episode is also funny.

Also if you watch the show, Mormonism is actually the correct religion which makes it all funnier.

Is the Southpark episode about the bleeding Virgin Mary statue still up? That one was hilarious. I hope they weren't pressured to take it down by the Catholics.

I'm surrounded by Mormons. I have to look at their temple every time I go to Twin Falls. I worked with a group of them and got to hear constantly about missions, pregnancy, getting sealed in the temple, how many kids each one had, more missions.

Drove me fucking crazy.