Goodbye Jesus

Systematic Theology -Let Me Rant About This Fundie Book

Mutate

Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem. The book is a foot thick, weighs a pound and costs $40.

Despite the huge size the entire arguement of the book can be summed up with "the bible is inerrant because it says so in the bible".

circular logic, arguments to emotion, numerous places where he just gives up with no arguemnt at all, beyond, "just read the passage and see how it makes you feel and theres the proof". A scholarly book but every chapter ends with a hymn for you to sing while thinking about what you read! On the part about predestination he actually says, don't think about it too much in a brooding way or some such.

there is no mention of historical context or the situation and beliefs of the bible authors - the text of the bible itself is the only source.

The chapter on free will and how every decision we make is decreed and chosen by God - But we are still responsible and should be punished for our choices - even though God decided we would make that choice - is so wooly and bizzare it made me moan with frustration. He just says, its like were in a play and God's the writer, so if Macbeth killed someone both Macbeth and shakespeare are responsible. Then he just ends by saying "but then humans arent fictional characters in plays so its a difficult question".

I guess its good for the layman, i breezed through a quarter of it this morning despite its huge size. (i borrowed a copy from family). And to be fair, he does give space and description to other non Calvinist/Reformed/evangelical views and explains their arguements well enough. So well in fact that I can't believe he takes the opposite view, as when he then refutes those arguements with his own, his are so much weaker I dont get why he chose them. And it honestly seems neither does he in places.

another review on Amazon said that he found the book persuaded him of points of view the author was trying to debunk, as his "set up to knock them down" descriptions of Catholic and Arminian theology are always more sensible sounding than his own rebuttals.

also to be fair his section on the canon and why he doesnt think the gnostic gospels and apochypha should be read was fair enough and well reasoned.

I wouldn't care so much, but my whole family swear by this book and recommend it to everyone as an apologetic to persuade them.

He just says, its like were in a play and God's the writer, so if Macbeth killed someone both Macbeth and shakespeare are responsible. Then he just ends by saying "but then humans arent fictional characters in plays so its a difficult question".

Actually, only Shakespeare is responsible.

And, by analogy, God.