Goodbye Jesus

You're Not Helping!

lunaticheathen

I'm sure this is something that's been mentioned before, but I got hit in the face with it AGAIN today. Not the first time something like this has happened, but it really, really insulted me.

This old woman is a bagger in the grocery store I work at. Granted, I hate my job anyway, but this lady really gets under my skin. She can't put her lipstick on right, and has to end every other proclamation with "Praise the Lord" or "In Jesus' name." Mind you, this is a bit odd for New Orleans, but not totally foreign, especially for her age group.

Anyway, today. She was bagging for me, and noticed I was visibly very very tired, and in pain. I explained I have migraines, muscle issues, and often am in too much pain to really sleep well, and the stress of the job doesn't help. And we are PACKED, since it's right before a Saint's game, and everyone must get 3 cases of beer (lifting all that was a JOY, I'll tell you </sarcasm>). Well, she left me in the middle of a HUGE order, because it was the end of her shift, and said "I'll pray for you, hun."

Now...I just had to think, that really, the BIGGER help at that moment, would have been for her to stay a little fucking late and HELP ME WITH THIS PILE OF GROCERIES! I understand wanting to get the hell out of work when it's quitting time, but this woman hardly ever works anyway, probably doesn't have to, and what the hell does she have to do that's so damn important, that she can't take two fucking minutes to help me with something that causes me PHYSICAL HARM to do??? No! She's going to PRAY FOR ME! I feel so much BETTER!

head/desk

Guest Valkyrie0010

It's hypocritical, yes.

Might work quotemine the verses in the bible about giving who asks of you and giving a drink in the name of Jesus

might make her feel shorty and help

A common response by many christians who don't actually want to get off their ass and do anything about a situation - praying about it makes them feel like they are doing something without actually doing a damn thing.

A common response by many christians who don't actually want to get off their ass and do anything about a situation - praying about it makes them feel like they are doing something without actually doing a damn thing.

Absolutely. Put a few bucks in the plate, pray a little, pat a few backs.

Once in the eighties I was sitting in church one morning when the preacher was going on about helping. A woman sitting next to me, and a good friend, grabbed my shirt sleeve and said, "come with me!" She was a rather quirky person and very impulsive. What else to do? I slipped out of the pew and followed her out the back of the church. Geeze what looks we got! I was dying of curiosity.

"Where we going," I ask, as she ushered me out the doors.

"We're going to get that family down the street in the van!" She took off in her red dress and heals down the sidewalk. "We drive by those people every Sunday with the "work for food" sign and nobody has brought them in to church or done anything for them!" I felt guilty bigtime, I had done the same. I could have married that girl if I had not been married though. ha. She is the exception. And guess what? She was always the person getting sideways glances and bad stares because she dressed a little wild, lots of red, and was given to speaking her mind. She eventually quit coming to church like most zealots.

That church was loaded with lard ass "I'll pray for you" types. Every congregation I've ever been in always was. The wouldn't know compassion if it bit'm.

I've done my time in grocery and convenience stores. Hope you find something you can be happier with soon.

Ted

It's all a matter of exegeses. The Bible tells the Christian to go another mile beyond what's asked, and to give your coat also when asked for your shirt.

It says absolutely nothing about bagging groceries.

You just have to have the anointing of the Holy Spirit to know how to read the Scriptures correctly.

Ted, great story. I'd prefer a few weirdo christians who actually DO what they believe when it comes to charity, than a boatload of lardass "I'll pray for you" types.

Loren, I wasn't really thinking of what the bible would say about her behavior, only that she offered, essentially, no help in my very painful situation. I kind of wanted to rip her head off. I'm just sick of "I'll pray for you" either being "I don't REALLY feel like helping", or "I don't like your view on this issue, fuck you, hell-bound creep."

Guest I Love Dog

I run a store/post office and one particularly religious lady, a staunch member of the Catholic church, on leaving always says to me "god bless you*, or "may god bless you". I'm never sure what to say in reply, so I just let it slide. I suppose it makes her feel good to say it and it doesn't hurt me!

Dog, a "blessing" is slightly different from someone seeing an immediate problem that they could help, but don't because it's inconvenient, and choose to let you know they're "praying" for you, as if that's supposed to make it fuckin ok. That's more my situation. While I don't like getting "blessings" in the name of Abraham's god, since I consider him a jerk, that's more well-meaning than saying "I could help, but I'll think about you instead, and not do a damn thing" - or, the as in some other times I got "prayed for", an exercise in self-aggrandizing, shoving piety and belief in my face as a way to gain some idea of moral high-ground in a debate.

Basically, the vase majority of people who say they're going to "pray for" me, I want to tell them to go fuck themselves.

This is my take on "I'll pray for you"

Saying this puts people in a power position. They are "lucky" enough to be on a talking basis with god (unlike you, who needs the prayer) so therefore, it makes them feel special (ie... "I am going to heaven and I am god's special, chosen child and you aren't") and superior to you.

I am with you, I think the term is offensive and implies that we really give a shit if someone is praying. The more "christian" thing to do would be to offer to stay and help you since you were not feeling well.

:-) L.

Definitely an offensive thing for someone to say.

Next time someone tells you they will pray for you, tell them you'll think for them.

lulu, yes, that's definitely a facet of it - a glaring one.

necro, HAH! Tempting.... :HaHa: