Goodbye Jesus

Hey Guys!

Reason

Is there anyone on here that has ever worked in the "Bus Ministry?" I know some of you on here are from IF Baptist backgrounds like me. I would love to hear some of your stories. The IFB Bus "Ministry" is a nightmare of EPIC proportions. If you have worked in it before, you know what I mean.

Did any of you guys on here work in it during your "saved" days?

Moved from Ex-Testimonies to Ex-Christian Life section.

Is there anyone on here that has ever worked in the "Bus Ministry?" I know some of you on here are from IF Baptist backgrounds like me. I would love to hear some of your stories. The IFB Bus "Ministry" is a nightmare of EPIC proportions. If you have worked in it before, you know what I mean.

Did any of you guys on here work in it during your "saved" days?

Could you give some of us who are not familiar with this an overview? Why is it a nightmare?

My parents are the "bus ministry" at their church, which is a whithering cult-like place under the hand of a would-be dictator. The only reason this church manages to get over 20 people on the best of Sundays is because they bus in poor kids from the "projects". On Saturdays my parents drive a church bus into that part of town to see who's coming, then pick up 20 or so kids the next morning. The parents get a little peace and quiet, and the church provides babysitting while trying to turn the kids into good little Pentecostals. Given that no one from previous "bus ministries" (from my youth) has stuck around, I doubt any of them will stay this time, either.

They have to leave pretty early, and spend a lot of time trying to discipline the kids. The kids are black, the church is white, and both live in a town famous for race hatred, so I imagine it's fairly awkward.

Thanks! Yeah, pretty much my story when I was in "Bible College" many years ago. Although I was a "PreacherBoy", so my experience was a little more radical. These churches mercilessly work these people to death, (literally, in some cases). And fill their baptistries with kids who have no idea what they're doing and pray a prayer. This is how you see churches that have "10,000 saved last week". A good percentage of it is with kids like this. It's ashame. But, my hat is off to them for knowing to start them young. Most people "get saved" when they're young, so they know how critical it is to brainwash the kids as quickly as possible.

As non-believers, we have to counter this as try to reach kids young, too. I know we aren't supposed to proselytize, but we have to do something to try and keep the next generation from being damaged like some of us have.

When I was a kid we went to a rather small church that also had a "projects" bus ministry going. There was only one guy running it and I was his assistant. My parents gave me no choice in the matter, and I missed so many good college football games since we always visited on Saturday. I guess all my horror stories of it are personal complaints since I absolutely hated it. Especially since many of the kids we visited went to my school which was right down the street from me and they were bused to.

I do have one horror story from it, but it's a bit off topic from what you are aiming at. The guy I helped fell hard for this lady that had three kids that went to our church. They were both in their late 30's and single, and they started having a relationship. I guess I was too young to be given the specifics (I was 12), but either they were having sex or there was the appearance that they might be (that old flee from the appearance of evil thing). That's the only time I've ever seen biblical new testament "church discipline". The pastor told him to leave her or formally marry her, then the pastor and two others men of the church went and delivered the same message when he didn't. After this they held a church-wide meeting afterward and told him he was no longer welcome at the church until he removed the open sin from his life. This was a fundamental independent baptist church. Mmmmm, childhood memories.

Oh yeah, I guess I should state that I worked with this guy every Saturday for at least a year, so I knew him well and respected the man quite a bit.

Saw the same thing here when I was a Teen. That Church didn't have a Bus "Ministry", but one of the members was messing with another man's wife and the dear Pastor had him stand up and apologize to everyone for it. It amazes me the control that these men have over the lives of their congregation. The Baptists DESPISE the Catholics and "preach against" the control that the Priests have. WTF??? They have as much or more control over their congregants than THEY do. It's disgusting.