Goodbye Jesus

But If You Read It In Context?

dagnarus

How exactly do liberal Christians interpret parts of the bible such as the slaughter of the Amelikites such that they are not abhorrent? Even if you take the story as being completely figurative, and not historical, it still gives a message of hate.

I remember my church interpreted the genocides in the bible as being an allegory for when we become christians we should be merciless in destroying our fleshly nature (They believed it was both an allegory and a literal historic event). Do liberal theologians interpret it in a similar way?

I love the context argument.

I'll take the Christian to passages where God orders Israel to kill children, rip open mothers and smash the fetuses on rocks and stuff.

Then, I just ask them to put it in context for me. ie, what context is it acceptable and good to kill pregnant mothers and fetuses?

Always fun to put the Christian in the position of defending the murder of babies!

I'll take the Christian to passages where God orders Israel to kill children, rip open mothers and smash the fetuses on rocks and stuff.

Then, I just ask them to put it in context for me. ie, what context is it acceptable and good to kill pregnant mothers and fetuses?

Always fun to put the Christian in the position of defending the murder of babies!

It's all gravy! Didn't you know that doing that will save that child from it's life that would certainly lead it to hell! And the mother clearly wasn't a virgin, so she had to die. We only "preserve" the virgins....

Such a morally corrupt ideology, this right here is exactly the stuff that got me on the road to deconversion.

Could be like Kathlene and just claim she doesn't know why. A bury head in sand approach.

It's all gravy! Didn't you know that doing that will save that child from it's life that would certainly lead it to hell! And the mother clearly wasn't a virgin, so she had to die. We only "preserve" the virgins....

Such a morally corrupt ideology, this right here is exactly the stuff that got me on the road to deconversion.

At which point I counter by posing the question why don't christians support abortion on demand? If 10/10 fetuses go to heaven, then Christian mothers should always abort if they truly love their children.

If broad is the road which leads to destruction, why leave it to chance?

I hear quiet often, that the OT is no longer a duty to xians, because jesus fulfilled the law when he died. They do not even bother to talk about the context. "Fuck of, this shit is OT. We as xians have grown out of these shoes."

I hear quiet often, that the OT is no longer a duty to xians, because jesus fulfilled the law when he died. They do not even bother to talk about the context. "Fuck of, this shit is OT. We as xians have grown out of these shoes."

Except they haven't. They still hold on to tithing -- Old Testament. They still hold on to the idea that homosexuality is immoral -- Old Testament. They still hold on to the 10 (or is it 15?) commandments -- Old Testament.