Goodbye Jesus

Stupid Things Done As A Christian

Non-Redneck

Actually believing that these Christian people were in touch with "the Truth".

Wow.

I think the most stupid thing I did was try to be a fundy baptist. My bullshit-meter kept going off, and I ignored it. I just wanted to accepted by my schoolmates. So I went to church lock-ins (wow, stupid crap goes on there), youth groups, and depended heavily on the acceptance of a bunch of rich, stuck up, hypocritical lip-service christian kids. All that still makes me feel like a dolt, even if most of it was just teenage angst. All teens want their schoolmates to like them, I suppose. I just happened to be at a fundy school where all the rich kids sneered at my car (which I wasn't expecting to get, so was elated I HAD A CAR) because, it was, ew, American. And not an SUV. Like, ew!

I also attempted suicide because I thought, because of the bullshit-meter, I'd never be a "good christian" and deserved a short trip to hell instead of a long one. I was right about not being a "good christian", but the whole reasoning of THAT'S why I needed to die - retarded.

So I went to church lock-ins (wow, stupid crap goes on there)...

I forgot about those. I only went to a couple, but they were highly uncomfortable.

Oh my, I did some stupid shit when I was a believer. A lot of it was just stupid shit from being a very young, inexperienced, naive, sheltered human being with no street smarts and no experience of the real world - fuckups that didn't have anything to do with religion.

Some of the religious stuff though was just dumb. Some of the stuff I believed for awhile there, and actually passed on when I tried to witness to people, jeez. I was actually a YEC for a short time, and actually thought for awhile that evolution was "just a theory." Sheesh.

Plus I bought all the stupid humiliating bullshit about women, and bought the belief that the only path to feminine fulfillment lay in finding a man, marrying him, pumping out 2 or 3 of his kids, and spending my life reveling in the joys of stay-at-home motherhood. Most of the pressure to do all that wasn't religious, it came from generations of family social conservatism. But when religion entered the picture, then it wasn't just my family that wanted me to marry and reproduce, it was god, too.

So I ended up marrying the first guy who showed any serious interest, and I stayed with him in a loveless nightmare of a marriage for 4 years too long because I believed it was what god wanted me to do.

It's little consolation that I wised up, ditched that spouse, ditched religion, and struck out on my own. The very fact that I got involved in all that shit is one huge long brown smear of shame and embarrassment on my life. I cringe every time I think of it.