Goodbye Jesus

A Faure Weird Experience

Shyone

Today I received a CD in the mail sent from an old classmate from high school (1967-1971). It was a recording of my high school choir singing Requiem by Gabriel Faure' (a French Impressionist composer). I was in the choir that made the recording.

I listened to the music, and I heard my own voice (mixed with the rest of the choir) singing a Latin mass for the dead.

I believed back then. I was an acolyte, and Junior Choir director for my church.

Along with those memories came others. It was so weird. It was like a timecapsule of myself singing to my later self.

I should be happy, right?

I should be happy, right?

No.

That was then, this is now. Your world has changed so much since then, when you saw as though through a glass darkly.

Now you look back with nostalgia, but happiness is probably not possible given the context.

I get the same feeling when I look through old stories I wrote as a child, talking about my hopes and dreams and fantasies and fears. I get nostalgic, but not happy. I remember what I felt like at the time, but I'm not that person anymore.

Actually, Shyone, I've always liked Faure's Requiem Mass. I'm not a big classical music buff, but I like some of the Spanish and French composers.

Actually, Shyone, I've always liked Faure's Requiem Mass. I'm not a big classical music buff, but I like some of the Spanish and French composers.

Oh, I do love it. It's gorgeous; perhaps one of my favorite pieces of music. I bought a recording a long time ago to listen to, and I still have that, but somehow hearing my highschool choir, and myself, sing it seems different. We had an excellent Chorale, and the recording is high quality and made in a Presbyterian church with a fantastic pipe organ, so the music part of it is seductive.

I never thought I would ever hear that recording again.