Goodbye Jesus

Exodus

PandaPirate

Most people think Moses wrote Exodus. If so, then why does he not refer to himself in the first person?

Also, why does God give the Ten Commandments and then turn right around and command the Israelites to "get their swords and kill their brothers..."

I have no problem with Jesus, but his father is psycho.

• Super Moderator
I have no problem with Jesus, but his father is psycho.

"I and the Father are one." ( John 10:30)

Hey Panda! Haven't seen you around for a while. It seems you may have found some discrepancies in the Bible. I wonder if anyone else has ever found any!

I thought there were three of them...

Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

• Super Moderator

Oh noes! Another Mystery of the Bible!!!

Most people think Moses wrote Exodus. If so, then why does he not refer to himself in the first person?

Also, why does God give the Ten Commandments and then turn right around and command the Israelites to "get their swords and kill their brothers..."

I'll give a couple of quick answers...

Josephus, in Wars, refers to himself as "Josephus" and not in the first person. But I'm still pretty certain that it's no longer widely accepted that Moses wrote Exodus.

The 10 commandments are given later. The story is kind of odd isn't it? Moses goes up the mountain. Gets the tablets. Comes down the mountain. Sees the cow and breaks the tablets. Yet he manages to write in the story what was on the broken tablets as if he memorized it or something. Sounds fine so far I guess. Then he goes back up. Gets another set and comes back. He then writes down what these say, because they are identical (he says so), and they're almost entirely different. He then calls this second set the 10 commandments. Then in Deuteronomy he repeats the stuff from the first tablets again, the broken ones, because he somehow memorized them really well.

But the rules, the whole not killing thing, are on the broken tablets, which we could say means the rules aren't in effect during that time. They are the covenant between the two after all and the breaking tablets could mean the agreement is broken. The new tablets mean it is renewed. It's kind of odd too since no one actually got to hear the rules and agree before they broke them and were punished. Anyhow, the Levites needed a reason to be "special" and this gives them that reason. They were the only ones willing to kill their own people because they liked YHWH, there brand new god, so much. They got a little reward of being the priest clan forever and ever. Not bad for doing a little slice and dice on 3000 of your own group. You might even say they performed a human sacrifice of 3000 people to YHWH that day. No one likes to say that but I think it says that. When you kill in the name of your god, at its holy site and it rewards you for it that sounds like a human sacrifice.

mwc

Reading the Bible makes me crazy. Why am I reading the Bible? Because I want to know what it says before I get into it with one of those crazy fundamentalists.

The first five books (Torah) was written by a hodge-podge of writers.

The Bible With Sources Revealed is supposed to be a good book on the authorship subject. I plan to buy and read it at some point.

Guest Babylonian Dream

The reason I know that not only Moses didn't write the Torah, but nor did anyone in Israel, Judah nor Judea, besides their lack of knowledge about the people in the area and their beliefs, they have ideas and knowledge only available in major cities at the time. I'm not talking major cities like Jerusalem nor Damascus, I mean the New York City, Shanghai and other giant cities of the day like Alexandria, Ctesiphon, Amarna or Asshur (though I know its neither Amarna nor Asshur, I read all their texts). My guess is that some jew in Alexandria or Ctesiphon or some major city threw it together before ending up back in the hellenistic province of Judea.

The writer compiled it based on ancient texts. I'm guessing somewhere in mesopotamia (specifically because of the aramaic in the texts).