Goodbye Jesus

Does The Church Really Deserve This?

Googledotman

Today I saw that one of my old preachers got a room redesign for Extreme makeover home edition. I feel pretty shitty about this, especially because the show portrayed him as a saint who was a second father to a lot of impoverished children. While I am in no way impoverished I was shocked to find that he had got the home makeover of a lifetime considering some advice he gave me.

Several years ago, I came out to him as a homosexual. He immediately suggested anti-gay therapy, including NARTH. Now to see him have the house of a lifetime even though he can spit out hatred aganist gays disgusts me. I am a little frustrated, and feel sorry for the gay child who will see Tripp (my old pastor) as blessed, and his sexuality a burden.

I am a little pissed off that they were so giving to a man who spews hate from the pulpit and just needed to vent.

Today I saw that one of my old preachers got a room redesign for Extreme makeover home edition. I feel pretty shitty about this, especially because the show portrayed him as a saint who was a second father to a lot of impoverished children. While I am in no way impoverished I was shocked to find that he had got the home makeover of a lifetime considering some advice he gave me.

Several years ago, I came out to him as a homosexual. He immediately suggested anti-gay therapy, including NARTH. Now to see him have the house of a lifetime even though he can spit out hatred aganist gays disgusts me. I am a little frustrated, and feel sorry for the gay child who will see Tripp (my old pastor) as blessed, and his sexuality a burden.

I am a little pissed off that they were so giving to a man who spews hate from the pulpit and just needed to vent.

Overall, most people in the US, even "nonreligious" ones, see religion as a good thing. That aside, people that live up to principles that seem noble are held out as examples (particularly adopting or helping lots of other children).

The picture presented is idealized. You knew the man and what he stood for, but I doubt the average viewer had a clue. Like Jesus, only the good side was presented.

Googledotman,

Write a letter to the producers and complain. It won't change anything, but at least they get to know that they're supporting homophobes. For each complaining viewer, 9 other viewers have the same opinion.

Yeah that is disappointing.

Wonder if he will be able to keep it? Some folks that live near me lost their home after being on that show. They couldn't afford to pay the bills, and got reamed on taxes.

Of course being a preacher he could just ask for a money miracle to cover any bills he gets. lol

Wonder if he will be able to keep it? Some folks that live near me lost their home after being on that show. They couldn't afford to pay the bills, and got reamed on taxes.

Really? That sux.

Did you mean that they lost it because of expenses they incurred from the renovations? That would be really terrible.

They don't do those shows for free. You can only hope that the church members will keep an even tighter clutch on their pocket books due to the economy and not bail him out of his vanities.

Did you mean that they lost it because of expenses they incurred from the renovations? That would be really terrible.

Not from the renovations, from paying to heat a giant house, and electricity for all that house and a huge riding arena type barn etc.... I somehow don't think the story here is unique, I am guessing this has happened a few times. Too lazy to google right now.

Forgot to mention another expense ... taxes. The home and land of course went up in value exponentially.

Not from the renovations, from paying to heat a giant house, and electricity for all that house and a huge riding arena type barn etc.... I somehow don't think the story here is unique, I am guessing this has happened a few times. Too lazy to google right now.

Forgot to mention another expense ... taxes. The home and land of course went up in value exponentially.

So, not directly, but still indirectly.

Shows like that seem to have good intentions, but I think sometimes they raise questions about exploitation. Yeah, the family gets a great house and the network gets to make entertaining T.V., but if they lose everything after the cameras are gone, well...a family losing their home is hardly worth millions of viewers' fleeting (and empty) sense of vicarious charity. You know? I guess I take issue with grandiose public displays of generosity, especially when the media is involved (like Oprah giving away all of those cars). Not to be a cranky cynic or anything...