Goodbye Jesus

God-Almost Human

PandaPirate

God: Almost Human

The modern version of God as an invisible, omnipotent, omnipresent perfect being evolved sometime later in Bible history. The old version was anthropomorphic, meaning human like.

Emotions

Emotional reactions arise out of unforeseen events. A prescient, omnipotent god would be free of emotion or indecisiveness.

Indecisive

The LORD said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do, (Gen. 18:17)

Jealous

Did he not himself say to me, ‘She is my sister’? And she herself said, ‘He is my brother.’ In the integrity of my heart and the innocence of my hands I have done this.” (Gen. 20:5)

(for you shall worship no other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God), (Ex. 34:14)

For the LORD your God is a devouring fire, a jealous God. (Deut. 4:24)

you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, (Deut. 5:9)

for the LORD your God in the midst of you is a jealous God; lest the anger of the LORD your God be kindled against you, and he destroy you from off the face of the earth. (Deut 6:15)

The LORD would not pardon him, but rather the anger of the LORD and his jealousy would smoke against that man, and the curses written in this book would settle upon him, and the LORD would blot out his name from under heaven. (Deut. 29:20)

But Joshua said to the people, “You cannot serve the LORD; for he is a holy God; he is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions or your sins. (Joshua 24:19)

For they provoked him to anger with their high places; they moved him to jealousy with their graven images. (Psalms 78:58)

How long, O LORD? Wilt thou be angry for ever? Will thy jealous wrath burn like fire? (Psalms 79:5)

And I will judge you as women who break wedlock and shed blood are judged, and bring upon you the blood of wrath and jealousy. (Ezek. 16:38)

therefore thus says the Lord GOD: I speak in my hot jealousy against the rest of the nations, and against all Edom, who gave my land to themselves as a possession with wholehearted joy and utter contempt, that they might possess it and plunder it. (Ezek. 36:5-6)

For in my jealousy and in my blazing wrath I declare, On that day there shall be a great shaking in the land of Israel; (Ezek. 38:19)

The LORD is a jealous God and avenging, the LORD is avenging and wrathful; the LORD takes vengeance on his adversaries and keeps wrath for his enemies. (Nah. 1:2)

Thus says the LORD of hosts: I am jealous for Zion with great jealousy, and I am jealous for her with great wrath. (Zech. 8:2)

Changes Mind

Then the LORD said, “I have pardoned, according to your word; (Num. 14:20)

God told Balaam not to go, then changed his mind and told him to go. When Balaam went, God became angry and sent an angel to stop him.

God said to Balaam, “You shall not go with them; you shall not curse the people, for they are blessed.”

But Balaam answered and said to the servants of Balak, “Though Balak were to give me his house full of silver and gold, I could not go beyond the command of the LORD my God, to do less or more.

Pray, now, tarry here this night also, that I may know what more the LORD will say to me.”

And God came to Balaam at night and said to him, “If the men have come to call you, rise, go with them; but only what I bid you, that shall you do.”

So Balaam rose in the morning, and saddled his ass, and went with the princes of Moab.

But God’s anger was kindled because he went; and the angel of the LORD took his stand in the way as his adversary. Now he was riding on the ass, and his two servants were with him. (Num. 22:12, 18-22)

God told the sick Hezekiah he was going to die. Seeing his tears, God healed him.

In those days Hezekiah became sick and was at the point of death. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came to him, and said to him, “Thus says the LORD, ‘Set your house in order; for you shall die, you shall not recover.’”

And before Isaiah had gone out of the middle court, the word of the LORD came to him:

“Turn back, and say to Hezekiah the prince of my people, Thus says the LORD, the God of David your father: I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; behold, I will heal you; on the third day you shall go up to the house of the LORD.

And I will add fifteen years to your life. I will deliver you and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria, and I will defend this city for my own sake and for my servant David’s sake.” (2 Kings 20:1, 4-6)

Repents

And the LORD was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.

So the LORD said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the ground, man and beast and creeping things and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.” (Gen. 6:6-7)

And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do to his people. (Ex. 32:14)

“I repent that I have made Saul king; for he has turned back from following me, and has not performed my commandments.” And Samuel was angry; and he cried to the LORD all night. (1 Sam. 15:11)

You have rejected me, says the LORD, you keep going backward; so I have stretched out my hand against you and destroyed you;— I am weary of relenting. (Jer. 15:6)

Angry

None of the devoted things shall cleave to your hand; that the LORD may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and show you mercy, and have compassion on you, and multiply you, as he swore to your fathers, (Deut. 13:17)

Therefore the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he sold them into the hand of Cushan-rishathaim king of Mesopotamia; and the people of Israel served Cushan-rishathaim eight years. (Judg. 3:8)

Again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, “Go, number Israel and Judah.” (2 Sam. 24:1)

And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he gave them continually into the hand of Hazael king of Syria and into the hand of Ben-hadad the son of Hazael. (2 Kings 13:3)

You will make them as a blazing oven when you appear. The LORD will swallow them up in his wrath; and fire will consume them.(Ps. 21:9)

Powers

God started out as an anthropomorphic tribal deity before he was elevated to the infallible God of the universe.

Not Omnipotent

And the LORD was with Judah, and he took possession of the hill country, but he could not drive out the inhabitants of the plain, because they had chariots of iron. (Judges 1:19)

Not Omnipresent

Then Cain went away from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, east of Eden. (Gen. 4:16)

And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the sons of men had built. (Gen. 11:5)

And Moses said, “Thus says the LORD: About midnight I will go forth in the midst of Egypt; (Ex. 11:4)

And he said, “Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD.” And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and broke in pieces the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake;

and after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice. (1 Kings 19:11-12)

therefore, behold, I will surely lift you up and cast you away from my presence, you and the city which I gave to you and your fathers. (Jer. 23:39)

Then the men were exceedingly afraid, and said to him, “What is this that you have done!” For the men knew that he was fleeing from the presence of the LORD, because he had told them. (Jon. 1:10)

Thus says the LORD: I will return to Zion, and will dwell in the midst of Jerusalem, and Jerusalem shall be called the faithful city, and the mountain of the LORD of hosts, the holy mountain. (Zech. 8:3)

Not Omniscient

But the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?” (Gen. 3:9)

but for Cain and his offering he had no regard. So Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell.

The LORD said to Cain, “Why are you angry, and why has your countenance fallen?

If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is couching at the door; its desire is for you, but you must master it.” (Gen. 4:5-6)

Then the LORD said to Cain, “Where is Abel your brother?” He said, “I do not know; am I my brother’s keeper?” (Gen. 4:9)

I will go down to see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry which has come to me; and if not, I will know.” (Gen. 18:21)

And you shall remember all the way which the LORD your God has led you these forty years in the wilderness, that he might humble you, testing you to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep his commandments, or not. (Deut. 8:2)

you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or to that dreamer of dreams; for the LORD your God is testing you, to know whether you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul. (Deut. 13:3)

The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there are any that act wisely, that seek after God. (Ps. 13:2)

Son of man, speak to the elders of Israel, and say to them, Thus says the Lord GOD, Is it to inquire of me that you come? (Ezek. 20:3)

They made kings, but not through me. They set up princes, but without my knowledge. With their silver and gold they made idols for their own destruction. (Hos. 8:4)

Body Parts

The early understanding of God was anthropomorphic. This contradicts modern claims that God is omnipresent.

Face

Thus the LORD used to speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. (Gen. 33:11)

The Lord spoke with you face to face at the mountain, out of the midst of the fire, (Deut. 5:4)

Beard

In that day the Lord will shave with a razor which is hired beyond the River--with the king of Assyria--the head and the hair of the feet, and it will sweep away the beard also. (Isa. 7:20)

Sight

And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the sons of men had built. (Gen. 11:5)

and you said, 'Behold, the LORD our God has shown us his glory and greatness, and we have heard his voice out of the midst of the fire; we have this day seen God speak with man and man still live. (Deut. 5:24)

But," he said, "you cannot see my face; for man shall not see me and live." (Gen. 33:20)

Speaks

While the man was standing beside me, I heard one speaking to me out of the temple;

and he said to me, "Son of man, this is the place of my throne and the place of the soles of my feet, where I will dwell in the midst of the people of Israel for ever.. (Ezek. 43:6-7)

And the LORD said to me, "Son of man, mark well, see with your eyes, and hear with your ears all that I shall tell you concerning all the ordinances of the temple of the LORD and all its laws; and mark well those who may be admitted to the temple and all those who are to be excluded from the sanctuary. (Ezek. 44:5)

and lo, a voice from heaven, saying, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased." (Matt. 3:17)

Smell

Then Noah built an altar to the Lord, and took of every clean animal and of every clean bird, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

And when the Lord smelled the pleasing odor. (Gen. 8:20-21)

Breathes

the breath of the LORD, like a stream of brimstone, kindles it. (Isa. 30:33)

Body

And Jacob was left alone; and a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day.

When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and Jacob's thigh was put out of joint as he wrestled with him.

So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel, saying, "For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life is preserved." (Gen. 32:24, 25, 30)

I saw the LORD standing beside the altar, and he said: (Amos 9:1)

Clothing

and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden girdle round his breast;

his head and his hair were white as white wool, white as snow; his eyes were like a flame of fire,

his feet were like burnished bronze, refined as in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of many waters;

in his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth issued a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength. (Rev. 1:13-16)

Back

And the Lord said, "Behold, there is a place by me where you shall stand upon the rock;

and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by;

then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back; but my face shall not be seen." (Gen. 33:21-33)

Legs

And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden. (Gen. 3:8)

Behold, I will stand before you there on the rock at Horeb; and you shall strike the rock, and water shall come out of it, that the people may drink." And Moses did so, in the sight of the elders of Israel. (Ex. 17:6)

I saw the LORD standing beside the altar, and he said: (Amos 9:1)

But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God;

and he said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing at the right hand of God." (Acts 7:55-56)

Hands

And the Lord said, "Behold, there is a place by me where you shall stand upon the rock;

and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by;

then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back; but my face shall not be seen." (Gen. 33:21-33)

And he gave to Moses, when he had made an end of speaking with him upon Mount Sinai, the two tables of the testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God. (Ex. 31:18)

God: Almost Human

The modern version of God as an invisible, omnipotent, omnipresent perfect being evolved sometime later in Bible history. The old version was anthropomorphic, meaning human like.

Emotions

Emotional reactions arise out of unforeseen events. A prescient, omnipotent god would be free of emotion or indecisiveness.

Indecisive

The LORD said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do, (Gen. 18:17)

Jealous

Did he not himself say to me, ‘She is my sister’? And she herself said, ‘He is my brother.’ In the integrity of my heart and the innocence of my hands I have done this.” (Gen. 20:5)

Brilliant! Excellent analysis.

I suggest that if you post this on a blog that you emphasize the characteristics to make them stand out more (which I have taken the liberty to do in the above quote).

Thank you for sharing this.