Goodbye Jesus

Religious Abuse

bird28

I once met a fundie when I was still a believer, we worked at a grocery store together. He mentioned Noah's Ark as if he really believed it happened, and I was paralyzed with shock at the stupidity of it. I had always assumed the old testament was somewhat exaggerated or just metaphorical cause it didn't make any rational sense otherwise. I grew up in New England so I didn't get much exposure to blatant ignorance like that, which really tears down liberal Christianity because you tend to forget what you are supposed to actually believe, and when you see it's fundamentalist form it's really confusing because their version of Jesus does not mesh with yours.

So for fundies they are locked in a cage, but the spring is wound tight. If they can crack the lock the door swings open violently. For liberal christians, it's like floating in a sea of the abstract, and some find a raft of free-thinking and slowly dry their clothes and make it to land, and others keep treading water, confident that they'll be okay because Jesus loves them and the rest is irrelavent, and some get seduced by fundamentalism when they realize they don't know anything about their faith.

I also grew up in New England, in the cradle of liberal Christianity. I got involved with fundamentalists for a few years in my youth, and remember that same paralysis, that same shock. I thought they were an isolated group. Then a couple years ago I learned about the charismatics and Pentecostals in the area. Woah. Once again, the brain boggled.

What you described about the liberal Christian mindset and experience is very familiar to me. Excellent description for those who were immersed in fundamentalism.

Phanta

People who left liberal Christianity would probably have a hard time imagining some of the stuff ex-fundies might have to deal with.

Having had a bit of both, I affirm that. I grew up liberal, but had an injection of fundamentalism in there that has poisoned my brain, left me haunted. My sister, too, and others. I shudder when I see people choose to surround their precious children by it.

Liberal Christianity was nothing like it.

Phanta

Hell was the most horrible teaching that affected my life :(