Goodbye Jesus

Ugh....what the fu--!!!!

Asimov

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4227974.stm

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard...declared it a national day of prayer??? How is that not a ringing endorsement of religion. Why not declare it a national day of the American Resolve to keep fighting or some other sappy bullshit like that...god! friggin idiots!!

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Then we should demand a day of Atheism!

Then we should demand a day of Atheism!

How about a day of un-prayer? Or wait, learning about logic? I think this country could use that.

Yeah, a day of rationality and reason!

I have invisible leprechauns that live in my garage, so i'll be spending the day carrying on lengthy conversations with them about how they can help the hurricane victims. Better to do that then something like send real supplies :HaHa:

The Invisible Pink Unicorn is *much* more powerful than your invisible leprechauns. ;)

And of course, the Flying Spaghetti Monster trumps both your leprechauns and the Invisible Pink Unicorn. ;)

I move that we eat noodles with big fat meatballs and lots of red wine on every day o' prayer.

Oh, man. The shrub is so full of it. I've been listening to NPR and WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) for the past week for news about NO, and hearing the shrub preen about how "the entire country always turns to prayer during times of trouble" made me want to howl. Excuse me, but thanks very fucking much you sactimonious hypocrite for acting as if the entirety of America is full of nothing but weepy Christians. Of course, how different is it from his designation of 9/11 as "Patriot Day," when it has nothing to really do with patriotism at all, but a national attack? Shit, Pearl Harbor didn't even get a fucking holiday, and that has more to do with patriotism than a few planes smashing into the towers. The shrub seems to grab any and all opportunities to make himself look good.

I also find the idea of a national "day of prayer" repugnant. It seems to me to be passing the buck for the failure of planning and response by turning it into an "act of God." In some way it seems to me to belittle the practical efforts and compassion of so many American people, many of whom will not be religious!

But from my cultural distance I do not understand what would have been an appropriate response for the USA. Would Bush have been equally criticised if he had done nothing to mark the nation's shock and mourning?

In Europe a common response to national tragedy is to a have a minute or two of official silence. At the designated time it is announced over the radio and public address systems in stations, work places and shops etc, and people stop what they are doing and stand silently as a mark of respect.

This has the benefit of giving people a way to express their feeling and respect without attaching any particular religious meaning to it. Each individual can attach whatever meaning is appropriate to them.

Does the USA have any similar custom?

And of course, the Flying Spaghetti Monster trumps both your leprechauns and the Invisible Pink Unicorn. ;)

I move that we eat noodles with big fat meatballs and lots of red wine on every day o' prayer.

:lmao:

Sure, but you need to cook spaghetti in the right way. Else the Spaghetti Monster won't help you.

Therefore buy my new book, on how to get your Spaghetti prayers answered.

Special price for ex-christian. Order today, only $ 299,-

:grin::grin::grin:

Bah! I spread chocolate all over your false gods! All hail the Chocolate Goddess! May Her dark chocolate flow and sweeten forever! Repent of this your sins, and maybe Her cocoa will spread and protect you from the cauliflowers of persecution! :lmao:

Bah!  I spread chocolate all over your false gods!

Verily, verily I say to you, the invisible leprechauns are jealous invisible leprechauns, and they'll smite you with a furious vengeance for your blasphemey :nono: That is if Amethyst's all-powerful, all-knowing invisible pink unicorn doesn't get to you first :wicked:

Yeah, rather sickening really. Oh well, I'm sure the faithful that have had everything destroyed will still be thankful to thier god that he didn't kill them.

Ok question. Please don't get mad but I just don't get the anger over this. There is nothing that the christians can do. The ones who are going to give have already, and if it makes them feel better to pray then let them. I will sit here and laugh at them, but I feel no anger because they are handling this the only way that they can.

I declare September 16th a national day of praying that Bush & his cabinet all either wise up or get Chlamydia.

Ok question. Please don't get mad but I just  don't get the anger over this. There is nothing that the christians can do. The ones who are going to give have already, and if it makes them feel better to pray then let them. I will sit here and laugh at them, but I feel no anger because they are handling this the only way that they can.

Yes, good point!

I'm not sure where other people are coming from, what with me not being American or a committed ex-C! :scratch:

I think there is a world of difference between someone who sincerely prays out of compassion because they genuinely think it makes a difference (whether it actually does or not), and someone who says they'll pray out of show. You may think the former is misguided and wish that they may be delivered from their misconceptions. But surely they are to be respected for their compassion, especially when that also is shown in practical ways?

Personally I think that Christians can (and will) pray if they want to without making it a national day of prayer and being in everybody's face about it. The sermon on the mount says don't make a show of your piety before people but pray in private.

So, are people objecting because they don't like the fact that sincere caring people might actually pray about this? I would find this difficult to understand.

Or are they objecting because they think Bush is insincere, or is being insulting and presumptious in assuming that the only "proper" Americans and caring people are the praying Christians? This I can understand.

Or are they objecting because they think Bush is insincere, or is being insulting and presumptious in assuming that the only "proper" Americans and caring people are the praying Christians? This I can understand.

I'd say this is the problem - that Bush would call specifically for a day of prayer (and you know damn well he doesn't mean for a day of Islamic prayer, or Buddist prayer), rather than calling for something a little more encompassing and a little less smack in the face of the non-christian denominations, something like a day of reflection, 2 minutes silence, etc.

Bah! I spread chocolate all over your false gods! All hail the Chocolate Goddess! May Her dark chocolate flow and sweeten forever! Repent of this your sins, and maybe Her cocoa will spread and protect you from the cauliflowers of persecution!

Almond! Almond! :notworthy:

Ok question. Please don't get mad but I just  don't get the anger over this. There is nothing that the christians can do. The ones who are going to give have already, and if it makes them feel better to pray then let them. I will sit here and laugh at them, but I feel no anger because they are handling this the only way that they can.

Um, because a person in government, who is supposed to represent THE people, not THE Christians is endorsing a specific religion to the exclusion of all other groups.

Bah!  I spread chocolate all over your false gods!  All hail the Chocolate Goddess!  May Her dark chocolate flow and sweeten forever!  Repent of this your sins, and maybe Her cocoa will spread and protect you from the cauliflowers of persecution!  :lmao:

What? Did someone just call me?

:lmao:

Verily, verily I say to you, the invisible leprechauns are jealous invisible leprechauns, and they'll smite you with a furious vengeance for your blasphemey  :nono:   That is if Amethyst's all-powerful, all-knowing invisible pink unicorn doesn't get to you first  :wicked:

HEATHENS! I, being a Fundamentalist Chocolate Goddess worshipper, now declare a Yee-had against all infidels! Having prayed all day with my head bowed towards Hershey's, Pennsylvania, I am now filled with Chocolatey Goodness and call upon all True servants of the GoC (Goddess of Chocolate) to assault the worshippers of IPU and IL and their temples, smearing you with copious amounts of melted chocolate and pelting you with roasted almonds! Thus will the world be cleansed of un-chocolatey-ness.

Hallelujah! All praise Her tastiness! :lmao:

I declare September 16th a national day of praying that Bush & his cabinet all either wise up or get Chlamydia.

Hey! What a minute! "Chlamydia"? Why should THEY have all the fun? (Not that HAVING the clap is fun, just the PROCESS of GETTING it! :woohoo: )

Guest queen annie
Yeah, a day of rationality and reason!

I think that would call for some initial intensive training--how about every Monday for a year or two? Mondays are the best choice--for the purpose of incorporating some subliminal 'deconditioning' for the benefit of the churchians.

Um, because a person in government, who is supposed to represent THE people, not THE Christians is endorsing a specific religion to the exclusion of all other groups.

Agreed Asimov

But! The majority of people pray, christian or not. Christians are not the only one who prays. Ok I admit that a moment of silence would have been more appropriate. BUt I am not angry about it.