Goodbye Jesus

The Quick Response

Arctic

I live in a area where everyone is a xian.

I have gotten into many situations where a person I have not seen in awhile runs into me somewhere like walmart or the local mall,

and often times the conversion starts by them asking what church I go to and soon after awhile I tell them I left the faith,

and many times they ask me why, and I have had difficulty explaining it because the reasons where so many on so many levels,

so am just asking everyone, what are some ways you explain to a believer why your no longer xian in a time sensitive situation?

There's no such thing as explaining to a Christian why you left the faith in a time-sensitive manner. I'd personally point them to an online testimony where they can read your story. However, having said that, just tonight I ran into the same situation you are asking about. I simply said I left the Christian faith, but "not out of anger or rebellion". I then left it at that. Going any further usually leads to a deeper conversation.

Guest I Love Dog

I would explain, quite honestly, that there are so many areas of Christianity about which you have doubts that to continue going to church or professing that you're a Christian would be hypocritical and until you have researched fully what you previously believed in you are happy within yourself, and that is the important thing.

A great site(and an even better book) is Jesus Never Existed http://jesusneverexisted.com

I wish you the best of luck.

Well I'm not sure that I can recommend a quick phrase for you Arctic. I travel incognito and under the radar. But if I were to begin being more vocal about my heathen nature and someone were to ask me why I left Christianity I would say...

I woke up.

High-profile groups doing damage control in bad PR situations now carefully start their response by stating a confident positive that reflects their actual position/view. This is due to new understandings about human psychology in charged situations.

They avoid negative statements that repeat whatever point they are trying to counter for this reason: when you say, "It's not because...", it's likely whatever you say next will be EXACTLY what their mind will take with them as your reason. This is human psychology.

Phanta

I think I might just shrug my shoulders with a smile and say, "It just didn't make sense to me anymore." If they ask why, I might add..."to worship a god who demands human sacrifice (Jesus) or threatens people with eternal torture."

I think I might just shrug my shoulders with a smile and say, "It just didn't make sense to me anymore." If they ask why, I might add..."to worship a god who demands human sacrifice (Jesus) or threatens people with eternal torture."

I like this response. It's concise, accurate for most of us, and is appropriately barbed so that those who need to stick their noses in too deep will get stung.

High-profile groups doing damage control in bad PR situations now carefully start their response by stating a confident positive that reflects their actual position/view. This is due to new understandings about human psychology in charged situations.

They avoid negative statements that repeat whatever point they are trying to counter for this reason: when you say, "It's not because...", it's likely whatever you say next will be EXACTLY what their mind will take with them as your reason. This is human psychology.

Phanta

Yeah, I guess that makes sense! I'm probably seen as an angry, rebellious god-hater. Oops....didn't mean to get that across!

• Super Moderator

Nah, I don't believe that stuff anymore. To explain why would take hours. But thanks for asking.

I chose to walk my own path. Organized religions aren't my thing. I'd rather not upset you. I decided to search for truth no matter where it leads, and currently it has led me to where I am. If you want to understand why someone might leave a church, there are plenty of great books that detail it better than I could.

Nice one, Florduh!

Phanta

Yeah, I guess that makes sense! I'm probably seen as an angry, rebellious god-hater. Oops....didn't mean to get that across!

It's a little counterintuitive, isn't it? But that's what the research is bearing out.

Phanta

I'm very wary and mistrustful of people asking me why I went apostate; too many of them have ulterior motives when they ask about it. So if I'm asked my first response is usually "Why do you want to know?"

If their answer satisfies me I'll say it's a long story better told another time.

If their answer doesn't satisfy me, I'll say it's a long story I'd rather not go into.

I usually just say, "It wasn't good for me," and leave it at that.

I like this one, too. ;)

My soft response, because I like the person might be along the lines of, "I'm just following a personal spiritual and philosophical path, now. It's not like I'm a against your beliefs or anything, but I prefer to keep any relationship with God or the Truth kind of private and to myself these days....thanks for asking"

This doesn't commit you to an exact position, or allow the other party to barrage you with annoying counter-questions.

As far as concise responses go, like I told the Jehovah's Witness guy the other day, "I believe that truth and reality can be established through rational thinking, existential proof, and good sound logic....fairy tales are for kids.....sorry...."

Trust me, it's a real conversation ender.