Goodbye Jesus

Got Any Advice, For Getting A Social Life

Guest Valk0010

Guest Valkyrie0010

Now that I am out of religion, I don't have to worry about such rules. But a problem I have had for along time is not having any idea house to get out of the how and get a real social life.

Got any advice?

But a problem I have had for along time is not having any idea house to get out of the how and get a real social life.

Got any advice?

I have enjoyed meeting people through things like the local hiking club and other groups like that. The more you meet people the more you can find people you'd like to get to know closer and hang out with outside of the club setting.

I've done a few things - first, I joined a local German Shepherd rescue which got me out of the house and helping in ways that many can't/won't. Of course, I have met a number of people, although most of our relationships still center around the rescue.

I also joined two meetup groups where I have attended some functions. The first was a local group just for people in my town looking to meet other local residents (kind of a commuter city so not a lot of easy places to meet people locally). I've enjoyed meeting some of the people there, and I think with more time some of them could turn into friendships. I also joined a relatively local freethinkers group, but my second meeting is coming up next weekend, so I haven't had a chance to see if much comes of that yet.

Other places I've met people are at school (classes are a great way to get to know people - even an evening class at the local community college can get you involved) you just have to be brave enough to actually introduce yourself to your classmates and talk to them :)

I also find that since we don't have "insta-meetings" (ie a regularly scheduled church service we are all supposed to attend) that I have to put in a little more effort, however, the relationships I do develop seem a lot more meaningful as well.

What are your interests? Pretty much regardless of what you are into, there is a group of people locally somewhere that are meeting to celebrate and share their experiences. That is where I would start.

Do you have any friends at all? Perhaps contact them and start arranging to do things together. Friendship is a two way street with your direction being the most important.

Having said that, maintaining a lot of friendships is a lot of work.

Now that I am out of religion, I don't have to worry about such rules. But a problem I have had for along time is not having any idea house to get out of the how and get a real social life.

Got any advice?

If you're not completely opposed to "church" try the Unitarians. They should have a number of social groups, outdoor activities, book clubs, etc ... they tend to be well-read and openminded, and you are unlikely to encounter dogmatic Christians. Service attendance is strictly optional.