Goodbye Jesus

Damn those Ignorant Masses!

Eponymic

We have this new receptionist where I work, and she's frustrating the hell out of me. :angry:

I have the feeling that in no small measure it's connected to the fact that she's very Christian. And because of that training she never learned anything but how to be a subservient pet of Christ.

For one, she's in her late 30's/early 40's and obviously has no really skill set or career other than having been a mother since she's working as an entry level receptionist at this point in her career. Being a mother is fine & all, but it's another thing if you're just being a non-evolving mother who isn't forwarding themselves and probably not doing the best for forwarding their children because they stopped learning & moving forward by age 18-20.

Well, back to the job.

What's killing me is she sucks at her job. She's got a lively enough personality, that's fine, but she has no skills otherwise. At the bare minimum a receptionist should be able to type at least 35-40 wpm. In reality they should type 45-60+ wpm. But this woman can barely hit 30 wpm, if that! :wacko:

I have to sit there as I dictate invoices to her and be tortured by her inability to hear what I'm saying properly, make spelling & clerical mistakes galore, and then correct her & repeat instructions constantly because she can never do something right the first time. She constantly leaves her desk area & ends up leaving the phone unattended as a result, she can't multi-task at all, she can barely handle it when more than one call comes in at a time, and she isn't good at handling pressure situations either.

Granted, she's only been here two weeks now, but our last receptionist was 18, and she was doing two to three times the work that this gal is doing at this point of time.

Sure it's nice to have a receptionist who's bubbly & happy, but I'd much rather have someone WHO KNOWS HOW TO DO THE FUCKING JOB!!!

This is part of the torture of dealing with an under educated Christian at work.

Ignorance in action is what it is really. Just another fine example of why Christianity sucks.

AUGH!!!! :banghead::vent:

Sounds like a nightmare.

Do you have to dictate to her? Seems like more trouble than it's worth, but that may be intentional on her part. Trust those christian females to be passive aggressive whenever possible.

They love to be helpless.....and get paid to do as little as possible.

Guest RichStPete

Does her boss know she's incompetant? Can she be fired?.. I had a girl who worked for me that was a JW, she was the laziest most incompetant person i've ever met.. I did let her go...

She probably feels guilty for working at all..having been a stay at home mom, I'll bet.

But..in the business world, you must have skills. If you don't have them, go get them, for crying out loud!

Does her boss know she's incompetant?  Can she be fired?.. I had a girl who worked for me that was a JW, she was the laziest most incompetant person i've ever met.. I did let her go...

We had a JW at our office that force fed herself from the Halloween Jack-o-lantern all through the month of October. She never bought any candy to refill it like everyone else did. When it was time to take down the decorations, she exclaimed “I ain’t touchin’ that devil stuff!” One of my co-workers who was normally quiet and reserved yelled at her, “You’ve been cramming candy into that lard-ass of your all month. Get the hell up here and help me.” I was in shock that she was so forward. People in the office actually clapped for her. It was great. The JW quit a few weeks later and complained that her faith was ridiculed. What a hypocrite!

Does her boss know she's incompetant?  Can she be fired?.. I had a girl who worked for me that was a JW, she was the laziest most incompetant person i've ever met.. I did let her go...

I'm hoping they are realizing it too. I haven't talked to anyone about it yet.

That, or maybe a miracle will happen, and she'll actually learn her job.

She constantly leaves her desk area & ends up leaving the phone unattended as a result

That alone would be enough of a reason in my job (IT support) to get fired on the spot. You just can't ruin your reputation as a good service provider any faster than letting a customer's call disappear into Nirvana unanswered. :banghead:

Well, maybe such a person would be able to continue working for my employer for some time, considering how extremely tolerant the bosses are with... well... less diligent persons at work. But the average German employer... :blink:

"What's killing me is she sucks at her job. She's got a lively enough personality, that's fine, but she has no skills otherwise. At the bare minimum a receptionist should be able to type at least 35-40 wpm. In reality they should type 45-60+ wpm. But this woman can barely hit 30 wpm, if that! "

Me too! I'm canadian and am already stealing an american's job by working for a US state department, so I'd be happy (okay maybe not thrilled about stealing) but willing to take this one too!

On my last typing test I scored 93 wpm, no mistakes. And since it's always the same test, I suspect the next one will be a higher wpm average. I also have a pleasant speaking voice.

On my last typing test I scored 93 wpm, no mistakes. And since it's always the same test, I suspect the next one will be a higher wpm average. I also have a pleasant speaking voice.

:eek: I don't think I can talk that fast.

As a former fundy mom who has spent my life raising my children and supporting my husband I have some sympathy for this woman without knowing her. If she is incompetant then she should be fired. But, being a stay at home mom is the hardest unpaid job in the world, and in many ways it can fry your brain.

When I separated from my husband and was on my own I found that my skills are varied but not specific enough to make a living. I am a jack of all trades and master of none, and it sucks because the sacrfices that I made in order to stay home and raise children seem like they should be repaid in some way. Frustratingly the world doesn't work that way.

Jeez. If I'd been that incompetent at any of my temp jobs, I'd probably still be living with my parents.

Why didn't they have "must type at a minimum of 35 WPM" in the job requirements? How long has she been there? A week? A month? If it's been longer than a month and she can't do it, IMHO, she should be let go. I believe in giving people a chance, and most places give new hires a month or two in order to see if they fit the job, get along with their coworkers, etc. I certainly would've been fired from my past jobs if I couldn't type and answer the phone. And I was Christian at the time, although not fundy.