Goodbye Jesus

I'm Going Soft

GraphicsGuy

Lately there has been this sly integration of my former Christian beliefs into my personal values and/or philosophy of living. I still do not like Christianity, but I am slowly beginning to see the value of the Bible as a literary work. I am seeing some of the good in words attributed to Jesus. I am seeing how some of these things shaped my thinking and made me who I am today.

Mind you, there are a lot of things that shaped my thinking and made me who I am today.

Christianity definitely is not the truth, but it could be considered a truth. In a pure form it definitely could work for some.

I am not a Christian and I do not like [Western] Evangelical Christianity. It is a twisted version of what Christianity should be about.

I am not an Atheist, but there are certain days that I ascribe to this view.

I am not an Agnostic, but there are certain days when this view is easier to accept.

I still do not need any particular "purpose" in life. I do not need a "reason" to be here. However, I do want to enjoy this life and I do receive enjoyment from thinking on the "possibilities" of existence.

I am me and I will always be me. I doubt that I will ever claim the title of "Christian" ever again, but as the years roll on I wonder if my personal beliefs will look more and more "Christian"...from a certain point of view, that is...

I think all this is natural, Mark. I grew up with the sense of family teachings (we weren't that religious, went to church now and again) about Christian compassion, forgiveness, generosity, and so on. Although my dad was ex-military and a bit of a redneck, he was very much against racism and not respecting women.

A lot of this is just the development of modern liberal, humanistic, and Judeo-Christian "ethics" that have formed the matrix of our modern western culture. Very often I will meet people who at first think that I am a Christian.

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was about something else.....LOL

Jesus and Christianity has little pearls of wisdom perhaps, but nothing really new that you couldn't find elsewhere or come up with on your own.

I think Christianity has a lot of good to offer. I'm not a hater, and I certainly don't go around trying to deconvert people. But neither do I believe in any god or god-men who rise from the dead under the cover of a really big stone. When I left the faith, I swung from one end of the pendulum to the other. Slowly, I'm finding my middle ground. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Jesus and Christianity has little pearls of wisdom perhaps, but nothing really new that you couldn't find elsewhere or come up with on your own.

Exactly. I think that the OP needs a dose of the Tao Te Ching for balance.

Lots of books and philosophies have pearls of wisdom, and it is our bias to think that Christianity has them all. We are also trained to look for the pearls and overlook the fecal material that surrounds them.

• Super Moderator

There are practical and useful gems to be found in the Bible, Shakespeare's works, The Old Man and the Sea, Of Human Bondage, Gone With the Wind and Star Wars. The Christian religion, not so much.

Don't confuse the ancient philosophies and myths repeated in the Bible with any of the religions the book spawned.

I am me and I will always be me. I doubt that I will ever claim the title of "Christian" ever again, but as the years roll on I wonder if my personal beliefs will look more and more "Christian"...from a certain point of view, that is...

You aren't the only one, I find myself to be a bit of a cultural Christian myself. I'll never be what I was before, because I certainly had my reasons for leaving that. But it is a big religion, and I suppose it should come as no surprise that I don't find as much of it objectionable as I once would have wanted to. It took me a few years to take a look at anything Christian or theological, I just didn't care then. But now I find certain things both interesting and illuminating, the works of Thomas Aquinas for instance. It is a good thing I think, I find myself better able to relate and appreciate the mostly Christian people around me.

It seems to me you are finding some peace with yourself, Mark, and I think that is a great thing. I think that modern Christianity differs from the way it was understood prior to the 19th century. I recently read a book "The Case for God" by Karen Armstrong. It was a useful book and you might enjoy reading it. She points out how the Christian theology of today is not the Christian Theology of centuries ago. There are different ways to understand Christianity. For example, the Eastern Orthodox Church never accepted the idea of original sin.

Certainly Jesus is depicted as showing compassion for the poor and diseased people. He is pictured as not living in luxury himself. I like how he was interested in women and showed a very progressive view for his day. All this is laudable. Where love and compassion for others is emphasized I don't have a problem. Of course this was reversed by Paul and the other early Christian church leaders who seemed to have forgotten what Jesus said and did.

Anyway Mark, you know I have been around here for a long time and read many of your posts. It looks like you are in a good place right now.

The usefulness of Jesus' ideas, like all the philosophers, are up for debate and discussion. I know a lot of my 'qualities' were formed by the christian religion, but there are also weaknesses there. I may be humble and turn the other cheek, this can avoid pointless conflict, but can I be sure that does not lead to passive-aggression and pent up anger? Also I think the philosophers that did not claim to be Gods probably have more overall insight into the human condition. The scholars of Greece and Alexandria were far wiser in my opinion, and it is a great tragedy of our species that their words have been mostly lost.

Exactly. I think that the OP needs a dose of the Tao Te Ching for balance.

For the sake of clarification, I will point out that I am well aware of this. Balance is what I am attempting to achieve in my life. I have to start somewhere and the Bible is what I know (very well I might add). I am finding that Biblical references are showing up in my writing quite often (essay-writing for school) since a LOT of English literature has Christian/Catholic influence. Some stories don't even make sense if you don't understand said references.

Anyway, I am just saying that I understand your point. I will get there eventually.

Anyway Mark, you know I have been around here for a long time and read many of your posts. It looks like you are in a good place right now.

I feel like I am. Thanks, Deva. :)

I see where you are coming from, and no matter what, finding that inner peace with what you think is critical IMO.

Like Shy, however, I would highly recommend trying on some other "religious" texts. If you're not into reading a full blown text, I'd highly recommend "Eastern Wisdom, Modern Life" which gives a basic run down on the Buddhist/Zen outlook in western and modern terminology. That or take a course on eastern religion and philosophy. You will find that much - if not everything - that you find valuable about "christianity" far out dates that particular religion.

Just don't come on here claiming pearls of wisdom in xianity and think we will play nice. I for one think the entire religion is soaked in shit and anything good that can be found in it can be found without all the baggage in numerous other places. I don't care who you are or what your experience with the religion is, you are better off with out it.