Goodbye Jesus

I Finally Met Another One

Kyle

For those of you who don't know me, I am a closet atheist in the deep south. I'm in the closet because of my job, and I'm also an elected official in a small community.

So, much to my relief, I met what could be the only other atheist in this town :lmao: I've known the guy for several years, and he is not from around here originally. He and I have shared some comments that made me suspicious of his belief system. So today I just asked him.

Me: I've got a personal question for you. I know you took your name off of the prayer rotation at "xyz" civic club citing separation of church and state. You and I have discussed certain faith-based activities of "xyz" club. So I'm just gonna ask... what are your beliefs?

He: Are you sure you want to know?

Me: Try me. You might be suprised.

He: I'm an atheist.

Me: We may be the only two in town

Then we had a good laugh. Then we spent about a half hour comiserating the traditions where we live.

While it is a relief to actually have someone to talk to, it is very sad. It's sad that we live in an area that our livelihood and reputation could be smeared due to our beliefs. When in reality, guys like us do the right things for the right reasons. On the flip side, I have no desire to move. I have deep roots here, and other than the religion, it is a great place to live. So I just deal with it...for now

I just thought I would share my relief with my ex-c fam. Take care

:3:

• Super Moderator

There are more of us than one might guess. If you're out in the open, they do show up. Unfortunately, many feel bullied into pretending to be something other than they are. Some can't even make a living if they are forthright and honest about themselves. It's a shame.

At least you found one!

For those of you who don't know me, I am a closet atheist in the deep south. I'm in the closet because of my job, and I'm also an elected official in a small community.

So, much to my relief, I met what could be the only other atheist in this town :lmao: I've known the guy for several years, and he is not from around here originally. He and I have shared some comments that made me suspicious of his belief system. So today I just asked him.

Me: I've got a personal question for you. I know you took your name off of the prayer rotation at "xyz" civic club citing separation of church and state. You and I have discussed certain faith-based activities of "xyz" club. So I'm just gonna ask... what are your beliefs?

He: Are you sure you want to know?

Me: Try me. You might be suprised.

He: I'm an atheist.

Me: We may be the only two in town

Then we had a good laugh. Then we spent about a half hour comiserating the traditions where we live.

While it is a relief to actually have someone to talk to, it is very sad. It's sad that we live in an area that our livelihood and reputation could be smeared due to our beliefs. When in reality, guys like us do the right things for the right reasons. On the flip side, I have no desire to move. I have deep roots here, and other than the religion, it is a great place to live. So I just deal with it...for now

I just thought I would share my relief with my ex-c fam. Take care

If you live in Nebraska, you have my vote.

There are more of us than one might guess. If you're out in the open, they do show up. Unfortunately, many feel bullied into pretending to be something other than they are. Some can't even make a living if they are forthright and honest about themselves. It's a shame.

At least you found one!

I can truly empathize with people who are gay. The conversation in the OP could just as easily been about sexual orientation.

If you live in Nebraska, you have my vote.

Thanks man. But this may be my first and last stint in politics. I've got two more years til I have to decide whether or not I will run again.

At least you found one!

This ^^ is true.

I'm pleased for you that you've found another atheist, but honestly, I just can't believe that some of you actually have to *hide* who you are just to get along in your communities. I mean, obviously I know that is case I just can't *believe* that that is the case!

I'm pleased for you that you've found another atheist, but honestly, I just can't believe that some of you actually have to *hide* who you are just to get along in your communities. I mean, obviously I know that is case I just can't *believe* that that is the case!

Being an atheist in the USA is death for a politician's career if you live in the bible belt where most of the sanctimonious hypocrites live. American Christians are nuts. There is no other way to explain them other than that. There are so many intelligent people who would make a difference in our country if it were not for the religious Christian extremists that use their church money to influence politics in this country. When Pres. Obama was running for office, the Christians were trying their best to discriminate against him by claiming he was either Muslim or an atheist, never mind the fact the guy was baptized in the Church of Christ! Over here it is supposed to be unlawful to ask politicians their religion, our Constitution has no test for it for those running for office. But that does not stop Christians from influencing voters and elections. The mega churches over here use their money to punish politicians who are not Christian or are atheists by spreading religious propaganda that is untruthful. That is there way of claiming god did not want the politician in office, if he loses as the result of their hate-campaigns. This is why some politicians ignore religious comments and accusations.

I found a local freethinker's group, but ended up butting heads with one of the more respected people there and now I think my name is mud. When I look back, it was all over a trivial matter and I wish it hadn't happened, but am glad it did at the same time. It was a good test of character for both of us. The real "us" came out through it all. Anyway, I'm not going to the group anymore, but for several reasons. Back to square one!

Being an atheist in the USA is death for a politician's career if you live in the bible belt where most of the sanctimonious hypocrites live. American Christians are nuts. There is no other way to explain them other than that. There are so many intelligent people who would make a difference in our country if it were not for the religious Christian extremists that use their church money to influence politics in this country. When Pres. Obama was running for office, the Christians were trying their best to discriminate against him by claiming he was either Muslim or an atheist, never mind the fact the guy was baptized in the Church of Christ! Over here it is supposed to be unlawful to ask politicians their religion, our Constitution has no test for it for those running for office. But that does not stop Christians from influencing voters and elections. The mega churches over here use their money to punish politicians who are not Christian or are atheists by spreading religious propaganda that is untruthful. That is there way of claiming god did not want the politician in office, if he loses as the result of their hate-campaigns. This is why some politicians ignore religious comments and accusations.

Such truth there. But it's not just the politicians. I'm a banker by trade. I manager a branch of a community bank. There is a large percentage of people who would immediately stop doing business with me. I'm fairly certain that there might even be small protests (I'm not kidding) It's like the fucking Twilight Zone.

• Super Moderator

Heathen money-changer!

Its a great feeling to meet "others." Last year I was in a celebratory lunch as part of a research program I was in, family, faculty and students attending. There was a minute for prayer where everyone lowered their heads. I didn't and when I looked around the room I saw two other people doing the same. We all exchanged looks and grinned. :grin: