Goodbye Jesus

The Nephilim

pandora

A coworker of mind (actually my boss) took me aside today and told me she had a job to do of a personal nature. I could not have been prepared for what she told me....

Anyways, so she writes down "nephilim" and "Genesis 6" on a post-it and hands it to me. She says that reading about them has changed her life and that she has spent 6 months studying them. She wants me to look into it and tell her what I think. WTF? Aren't they just supposedly half angel and half man? "Giants" or something like that?

I am so confused. Does she think they were aliens and that is why she is so fascinated? I have no clue. Anyone have any insights and suggestions as to what to tell her?

A coworker of mind (actually my boss) took me aside today and told me she had a job  Anyone have any insights and suggestions as to what to tell her?

She's a a nutbag?

My brother made a movie with nephilim in it. Perhaps she'd like a copy.

Guest queen annie

To hazard a guess, I'd say one of the three following possibilities:

1. she's stumbled upon some of that 'aliens-created-us-and-are-coming-back-soon' stuff that's been going around for a few years now--although originated with Stitchin's Twelfth Planet books http://www.sitchin.com/and more recently enlarged by David Icke http://www.davidicke.com/

2. she's into a new game http://www.io.com/~jwtlai/nephilim/main.php

3. she's into brit goth music http://www.spookhouse.net/angelynx/nephilim/neph.html

It isn't the latter two because she warned me if I did an internet search, don't look at those sites. LOL

She's a conservative (but very nice) Christian, so I don't think it's the alien thing, but who knows... I will ask her and find out.

Guest Challenger

The Nephilim were supposedly the biblical giants of old (Genesis 6:2).

Somehow they survived the Flood (Genesis 7) because they turned up in Numbers 13:33.

You can ask her how she thinks that was accomplished. Some people think the Nephilim were recreated following the Flood, but that's at best a shaky assumption.

There's an ancient Greek vase showing the myth of Hercules and Hesione fighting a monster with a head that looks like a fossilized megatherium or some such giant mammal of the age of the great mammals. A scholar near Princeton - can't remember her name right now - published a book that argues that fossil bones of dinosaurs or mammals visible on the surface gave ancient peoples their belief that in the past, humans of gigantic size, dragons, etc. walked around. The so-called bones of Orestes, which the Spartans stole from underground in a yard in Tegea, may have been fossilized mammalian bones. There are places in Syria, Turkey, Greek islands, and elsewhere where ancient people could have stumbled upon fossilized skeletons. So maybe the Hebrew stories of Nephilim had a similar origin.

From what I've heard, the Nephilim are the love children of lustful angels and humans. Now if you want the World of Darkness version: the Fallen Angels that sided with Lucifier, tried to create a superior being that had their power and change to grow and adapt like a human. But the plan backfired because their children (the Nephilim) also inherited the Fallen Angels' inner rage and many became corrupt. Eventually, the Nephilim were killed-off and the Fallen Angels were cast into Hell and became Demons.

There's an ancient Greek vase showing the myth of Hercules and Hesione fighting a monster with a head that looks like a fossilized megatherium or some such giant mammal of the age of the great mammals.  A scholar near Princeton - can't remember her name right now - published a book that argues that fossil bones of dinosaurs or  mammals visible on the surface gave ancient peoples their belief that in the past, humans of gigantic size, dragons, etc. walked around.  The so-called bones of Orestes, which the Spartans stole from underground in a yard in Tegea, may have been fossilized mammalian bones.  There are places in Syria, Turkey, Greek islands, and elsewhere where ancient people could have stumbled upon fossilized skeletons.  So maybe the Hebrew stories of Nephilim had a similar origin.

Wow! That's what I figured happened. I remember in a dinosaur book I read when I was a kid, a picture of a little girl finding a whole skeleton of some dinosaur sticking out of a cliff way back in the early 1900's or something. Early civilizations did alot of digging to build all their pyramids, temples and farms and such too, so it's not suprising at all that they find anything.

I Googled for the scholar lady, I think she's Adrienne Mayor. I'll have to check her books out someday. :grin:

Ah, Fields of the Nephilim. The goth cowboys of the 80's. Only liked one song of theirs, sadly....

....oh, wait. You're talking about the Biblical Nephilim. :Hmm: Weren't they angelic bastards?

Wow! That's what I figured happened. I remember  in a dinosaur book I read when I was a kid, a picture of a little girl finding a whole skeleton of some dinosaur sticking out of a cliff way back in the early 1900's or something. Early civilizations did alot of digging to build all their pyramids, temples and farms and such too, so it's not suprising at all that they find anything.

I Googled for the scholar lady, I think she's Adrienne Mayor. I'll have to check her books out someday.  :grin:

Yes, you nailed it, that's who I was trying to remember. The picture I remembered is on the book jacket displayed on the link you provided. Good job, TW!

sons of God lying with the daughters of Men, Giants.......I think she's hinting that you look like an angel and she wants to sleep with your giant ____!

but that's just me....

She's a a nutbag?

My brother made a movie with nephilim in it.  Perhaps she'd like a copy.

Battlefield Earth? Perhaps, scientology is the answer? :dumbo:

From what I've heard, the Nephilim are the love children of lustful angels and humans.  Now if you want the World of Darkness version: the Fallen Angels that sided with Lucifier, tried to create a superior being that had their power and change to grow and adapt like a human.  But the plan backfired because their children (the Nephilim) also inherited the Fallen Angels' inner rage and many became corrupt.  Eventually, the Nephilim were killed-off and the Fallen Angels were cast into Hell and became Demons.

Jesus, how can people take this fantasy plot seriously. If I believed that Lord of the Rings was a historical account, I'd be locked up. Well locked-up if I proposed a threat, but I have to question the sanity of anyone that holds a story like this true. Like in Dan Barker vs. Jason Gastrich on Gastrich's show. Dan called him out on it how absoletly ridiculous it was.

I would tell her that I know the Nephilim are real, because I have a giant in my pants!

Unless you're a girl, at which time I would tell her to 'come home with me' for Bible study, because 'my boyfriend has a giant in his pants!'

Seriously though, you know that God drowned everyone one except Noah and his fam in the flood... so howcome the same 'giants' showed up later, around the David and Goliath era?

Ask about that.

I am so confused.  Does she think they were aliens and that is why she is so fascinated?  I have no clue.  Anyone have any insights and suggestions as to what to tell her?

You should tell her you think the myth originated from this species

The real nephilim

To hazard a guess, I'd say one of the three following possibilities:

1.  she's stumbled upon some of that 'aliens-created-us-and-are-coming-back-soon' stuff that's been going around for a few years now--although originated with Stitchin's Twelfth Planet books http://www.sitchin.com/and more recently enlarged by David Icke http://www.davidicke.com/

2.  she's into a new game http://www.io.com/~jwtlai/nephilim/main.php

3.  she's into brit goth music  http://www.spookhouse.net/angelynx/nephilim/neph.html

Hey! I have that game!

A coworker of mind (actually my boss) took me aside today and told me she had a job to do of a personal nature.  I could not have been prepared for what she told me....

Anyways, so she writes down "nephilim" and "Genesis 6" on a post-it and hands it to me.  She says that reading about them has changed her life and that she has spent 6 months studying them.  She wants me to look into it and tell her what I think.  WTF?  Aren't they just supposedly half angel and half man?  "Giants" or something like that? 

I am so confused.  Does she think they were aliens and that is why she is so fascinated?  I have no clue.  Anyone have any insights and suggestions as to what to tell her?

The Nephilim story is so completely outrageous. It requires that either is DNA non-existent or the Angels actually are biological creatures with matching DNA with humans!!! Would that mean we have wings and can travel through the higher dimensions too, with our bodies???

That's one of the most frigging, stupid, stories in the Bible, that clearly proves that it's only a mythology and nothing else.

Cheese, those Xtians people believe anything!!!

:grin:   Dearest Han, is this "cheese" you begin your sentence with some kind of lingo used by Swedes or did you mean to put "Sheesh" or "Geesh" or something along those lines?

I'm in a typo/spelling error mood today.

Gold weather with cheese, you didn't know?

Plus, sometimes I say Cheese instead of Sheesh to my kids, to be funny.

Maybe it was subconsciously intentional... if such a thing exist... :)

• 2 weeks later...