Goodbye Jesus

Gay Hating Atheists

Tabula Rasa

Hey guys. I'd always assumed that all atheists were tolerant of,or accepted gay people. Then I stumbled across this video on Youtube.

He talks about encountering hostility from some atheists when they find out he's gay.

Atheism isn't a cure for being an asshole, or at least not necessarily.

Yeah, don't make the mistake of thinking all atheists are intelligent, open minded people. As with theists, some of them are miserable assholes.

People can like, or hate, anyone or anything they have a mind to. What's the surprise? The only thing atheism does is not allow people to say that a "god" wants them to do it and use that same "god" excuse as a giant hammer to force others to go along with them.

mwc

• Super Moderator

Atheists aren't perfect, just unforgiven.

BILL FOR

1 MONITOR

1 CUP COFFEE

Removing religion doesn't solve our problems and disagreements, but it does force people to take responsibility for their opinions. Humans will tend to fear anything they don't understand, gays or otherwise.

Generally experience with these unknowns will led to a better understanding of them, though this is easier to accomplish when one doesn't think his understanding comes from the creator of everything.

Well I'm an atheist and I think gays are queer! So there .. Nana Nana!

:woohoo:

That surprises me! So sad! One reason I turned away from church is because of their intolerance for LGBT people.

To be queer is soooo gay.

;)

Now Hobosexuals, they're of the debil!! :twitch:

Like others have said, not all atheists are tolerant of anything. It only takes a little bit of intolerance to spread to everyone that will listen to it. Shallow people have shallow minds.

If you exclude all those goddamn Mormons, who usually won't fuck with you unless you're in Utah or something, the Wild West is the most godless region of the United States. There are a handful of fundie hotspots such as Colorado Springs, but for the most part, church attendance/religiosity statistics for the Wild West are rock fucking bottom.

Here is the great paradox of the Wild West: they are as godless as the Pacific Northwest or even Europe, but they're also as dick-swinging reactionary and anti-intellectual as the worst of the Bible Belt South. The Matthew Shepard incident happened in Montana, not Alabama, but Montana is about as godless as Norway.

These cowboys, I'm telling ya. They'll go to church maybe for funerals and gripe about the preacher's bullshit, they'll express a respectful yet somewhat incredulous indifference towards questions of religion, they'll get liquored up and chase whores and strippers around from one end of Las Vegas (where I live) to the other...

...but if they find out that you're a "faggot"... well, to quote one cowboy I was drinking with once, "somebody's gonna end up dead in the desert."

There you go.

Also, Eastern Europe is, as a whole, more godless than even Western Europe. The Czech Republic, for example, is perhaps the most atheistic nation on the face of the earth. This largely stems from the legacy of Communism.

But if you're openly gay in a place like Serbia or the Ukraine or even Moscow from what I'm told, your chances are fairly high of getting your teeth kicked in. In Serbia, there is exactly one gay bar in all of Belgrade, and you practically have to enter it through an underground passageway from across the street to avoid getting put in the hospital.

There's a fair amount of homophobia in Italy these days, and Italy has the lowest "religiosity" score for all of Europe. Granted, the majority of Italians would call themselves Catholic just by reflex (because there it's like being a fish in water), but the vast majority of them don't give a shit and just do whatever they want. It's residual Catholic baggage, you could say, that influences their prejudices. You can snort coke off an underage hooker's tits and get away with it even if you're the Prime Minister (not joking), but if you're taking it up the butt from another dude you're bound to get some grief.

I've come across at least two homophobic atheists on the Internet once and both of them tried to rationalize their hatred by using the natural argument. They tried to argue sex's natural use is for procreation and so they claimed gay sex is unnatural. Bigotry exists in all groups of people and there's even bigoted gays, unfortunately.

I got a similar surprise the first time I ran into atheist misogynists. I was just so used to associating religion and sexism that I forgot that nonreligious people can be assholes too, as others have said.

LOL!! Very nice.... can I steal that and use it elsewhere?