Goodbye Jesus

Local Christian Businesses

bird28

I live in the boonies, but there is a small little country store a mile away. I guess it gets enough business to keep afloat. But some of the stuff they display in their store I don't like. Stuff like the Ten Commandments, In God we Trust stickers, anti-Obama propaganda taped next to the cash register, stuff like that. Ehh, the deer heads and gun displays don't offend them as much, but maybe it's still over the top. I guess they are not extreme fundies because they sell tobacco and alcohol but still... And this is Michigan...

Anyway, they are convenient and stuff and my relatives send me down there a lot, but I feel bad buying stuff from them. Plus they have a dog in the store which is kinda gross...

Anyone else encounter junk like this? :shrug:

Not me, but I wouldn't have a problem with purchasing something from a Christian business. If they sold something I liked, I'd buy it. In fact, not long ago, I purchased the newest As I Lay Dying CD from the Christian bookstore because I like their music. I don't think it does anyone any good to boycott a Christian business just because you're not a Christian. Let's leave the immaturity to the Christians! LOL! And besides, they might be selling Christian merchandise because it sells. Doesn't mean they live it, or even believe it.

• Super Moderator

What the hell you got against dogs?

What the hell you got against dogs?

Oh, I thought she said "...they have a god in the store which is kinda gross..."

I don't think it's a matter of "should" or "should not." I do find it rather off-putting when somebody makes it their mission to proselytize to me, nor do I find it endearing when a business, which may or may not be otherwise scrupulous tries to gain a competitive advantage by flaunting its xianity. All things being equal I would give my business to a company that did not resort to these tactics or broadcast their delusions from their own soapbox. That being said, there are so many factors that go in to choosing which business to use: pricing, convenience, their track record of how they treat their customers, whether they are honest or engage in scams, whether they are prone to pulling crap to try to keep their customers' money when there is a legitimate grievance, or to milk extra profit using questionable tactics... At most a fish on their sign or even a religious theme (the "God, guts, and guns" variety usually goes hand in hand with tobacco and often with alcohol) is just another factor that goes into the mix. (One example: does their track record support that they are flaunting their xianity to mislead prospective customers into thinking they act with integrity?). At the least their little fish falls well below the threshold as a deciding factor when there are blatant pros and cons in play and a limited number of available companies.

I think the real question here is, is it a Christian dog?

"Cleanliness is next to godliness, so I just spent two and a half hours cleaning my anus. It's so clean, it squeaks. You could eat off my anus.

Now, let me give you a kiss!"

It's not really something I take into account. I'm into beading and crochet and if I boycotted every craft shop that was plastered with bible quote "art," I'd miss out on most of the good deals :)

As long as they're helpful, pleasant, and honest, I'm always happy to support local merchants; my DH is one of them!

I avoid the fish if there's a choice. If not, then I'll tolerate anything outside direct evangelizing.

Here in Las Vegas we don't really have that problem.

Then again, the Mormons own half of everything. But it's kind of like they don't want you to know it.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy from them. But I wouldn't boycott them either. If the store has what I need/want at a resonable price, I'll buy it.

I've seen the Christian stores around where I live. Their prices are usually higher than other stores so, I don't shop at them. I don't know what the benefit would be to shop at one unless you want to support one just for being a Christian store. Bounce a check at one and I bet they send you through a collection service like the heathen retailers.

Local Christian Businesses should an exchristian support them?

NO!

Fundie sis used a Xian bakery for her wedding cakes specifically CUZ they were Xian, and didn't even taste test the stuff, trusting that these good dog-fearing bakers would make a righteous good wedding tower, groom's spice cake, and petit fours for the rehearsel.

Stuff was practically inedible but no one wanted to criticize cuz they were good church-goin' folk who made that crap.

• Super Moderator

I support local businesses. I'll buy goods and services locally, even if I pay a small premium to do that.

I buy from establishments owned by Christians, Muslims, Lesbians, African Americans, gay men, and other less well identified folks.

The only people I wouldn't patronize would be dog haters.

I support local businesses. I'll buy goods and services locally, even if I pay a small premium to do that.

I buy from establishments owned by Christians, Muslims, Lesbians, African Americans, gay men, and other less well identified folks.

The only people I wouldn't patronize would be dog haters.

I don't care about the religion of the people who run the business. I just ignore the shops that claim they are a 'Christian business.' They have little signs in their windows, like cars with 'baby on board.'

If they are good at what they do, you patronise them. If there is someone else around in the area who is better, then you patronise them.

If it is the corner store, you might make your decision based on price, opening hours and range of stock.

You never know what underlying beliefs other businesses might have.

'Nuff said!

I happen to have known more than one person that put the little fish on their business card to rope in more suckers business. I've also known a number of these people that said they can charge more, offer worse service and get away with more shit in general as a result because, all things being equal, people will think they're "better" than their un-fished competition just because. So I started avoided these businesses years and years ago if I could. Even while xian. Now I know that the "jesus" fish, anywhere, is just best avoided. ;)

mwc

I try to shop locally. Hell, I even have coffee every morning in a restaurant/antique store that is blatantly christian and runs foxnews all day long. But they are good, hard working people. I meet my friends there and have a great time.

Besides, around here, I would be limited to exclusively WalMart if I boycotted stores owned by fundies. :lmao:

I don't have much a problem with Christians owned stores around here as the people who own and manage stores around here are usually Hindu, or other Eastern religions, around here, especially the Vietnamese hairdresser I go to who puts up a Buddhist altar in her shop at certain times of the year. There is one Chinese food restaurant around here that plays Christian music over their intercom,but they still put up Buddhist altars at certain times of the year with offerings in front of them.

However I've been pressured by Christian relatives to shop at certain Christian stores such as Forever 21 when in reality the friends I have now, no matter what their religion is,refuse to shop there due to the cheaply made sweatshop clothes and high prices. As my Catholic boyfriend said "Oh so when did it say in the Bible " 'Thal Shall only shop for clothes at Forever 21'? So I guess I'm going to Hell when I die as I shop at the wrong clothing store!"

They also have a Tea Party sign in front of their store too. Isn't it kinda really radical or something?

I'm not going to boycott a store due to the religion of the owners. I don't bother gracing christian bookstores anymore, but that's because there's nothing there I would want, just like I wouldn't go into an islamic bookstore.

If you were going to try to boycott every business owned by a religious person (because, honestly, if you are doing this due to their religion, all religions should be included) you'll probably play hell trying to find a place to shop.

Now, if there is a store that just gives me the creeps, then I would avoid it, but where I live, that's more likely to be a store with a heavy black vibe that pretty much tells the rest of us to stay away without overtly saying so. Outside of fears or finding a place just gross, I make no effort to avoid a business that has what I need - and have been known to deal with those things if there weren't any other reasonable places to get what I wanted!

Besides, you're in Michigan - what isn't owned by a christian of one shade or another?!? :HaHa: