Goodbye Jesus

Christopher Hitchens: The New Commandments

Mriana

I thought you all might enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_lM61aDyPg

I got a few good chuckles from him towards the end when he made a new set of Commandments. The cell phone one was really good. Do you know how many times I've been on the bus and thought, "Do you really think we all want to hear this?"

Anyway, enjoy and comments would be interesting.

BTW, there really are two different 10 Commandments- a Catholic version and a Protestant version.

Ha, love the cell phone one. He sort of slips that in amongst the more serious ideas.

Once Hitchens gets you in his iron trap of rational reflection and commentary, the entire world of mythical religion begins to look so brainless. I love watching his lectures and debates.

I've always been intrigued by the fact that there is no "Thou shalt not rape a woman" in there.

Speaks volumes about priorities in a male-dominated culture, doesn't it? Not worth mentioning, I guess.

Or "Thou shalt attempt to negotiate with an enemy or foreign interest before resorting to the sword"

Or "Thou shalt not threaten people into worshiping me through violence"

Or "Wash your fucking hands before eating-you'll live longer"

Or "Thou shalt not enslave another human being, regardless of skin color or where they come from"

Or "Thou shalt study the world and all it's processes so that one can understand and use my creation wisely and benefit each other..."

Or "Thou shalt ask for evidence before believing the claims of men who just want to control you"

Why is it that we can come up with ridiculously better commandment ideas than these ancient tribal warrior dudes ? And like, these people couldn't come up with these on their own ? Every culture in history has pretty well been against stealing, murder, and spreading lies to hurt other people.

That was surprisingly inspirational! I'd put it on my Facebook, but then I'd lose half my friends list.

Why is it that we can come up with ridiculously better commandment ideas than these ancient tribal warrior dudes ? And like, these people couldn't come up with these on their own ? Every culture in history has pretty well been against stealing, murder, and spreading lies to hurt other people.

Because we've evolved?

That was surprisingly inspirational! I'd put it on my Facebook, but then I'd lose half my friends list.

I think I put it there. Most of the people on my friend's lists are atheists, so I wouldn't lose many if any if I posted it. :lol: I think I did too, post it that is.

I posted it on mine. I doubt anyone on my friends list will even watch it, but now I have the link archived there for personal reference later.

I don't think anyone watched it on my Facebook either.