Goodbye Jesus

Missionary To Atheist

StevoMuso

51F1xVa-uML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Might as well front-run it a bit. I'm definitely going to order it.

Hey Franko47 I should employ you as my marketing manager - thanks bro.

While we are front-running here is what Dan Barker said about my book:

"Courage to Doubt is a brave, eloquent and well-reasoned plea for the freedom of conscience and the drive for knowledge—real, testable, logical knowledge."

Pretty cool huh?

I guess this IS my testimony page so it's okay to plug the book on this thread. But don't worry guys, I will refrain from mentioning it on the rest of the forum - I don't want to take liberties with the hospitality you've all shown me in the short time I've been here and I most certainly did not join in order to get free advertising.

BTW: the front cover photo is from a shoot I did about 5 years ago for CD covers, posters and other musical-marketing needs. The long hair is gone :HappyCry: but I thought you guys may want to know about the purple tree in the background. It's a Jakaranda tree and Pretoria (capital of SA) is known as the Jakaranda City. These trees lose their leaves in winter and in spring they get covered in these purple flowers for only one month before the leaves come out. The whole city goes purple for a month - really stunning.

First, how much did you pay Dan Barker to write those words? Just kidding.

Second, I have a house on a street called "Jacaranda." Concidence? I think not. It's an omen.

First, how much did you pay Dan Barker to write those words? Just kidding.

Second, I have a house on a street called "Jacaranda." Concidence? I think not. It's an omen.

In all seriousness, Dan has actually been a wonderful support. I took those words from the Foreword he wrote for daBook but you know, of all the famous authors and prominent atheists I tried to contact, he has been the most fantastic support. I wrote to Michael Shermer and Richard Dawkins as well as Dan Barker concerning the Foreword, and Dan was the only one to reply in a positive way (I even sent a copy to Michael Shermer so he could review it and he friggen LOST it "on his desk somewhere"). Over the year it took to publish, Dan has been in constant email and Skype contact with me, sent me some Freethought material for free (US Dollars are very expensive in SA) and been an AMAZING support in spite of his hectic schedule. If there are any Americans on this forum I would strongly recommend supporting FFRF (Freedom From Religion Foundation) because they have been the only ones supporting atheists like myself in isolated countries (Dan tells me Brazilian atheists are also finding it tough).

Shyone - cool street name (and refreshing to see the English spelling i.e. the "c" instead of the "k". Do you have any Jacaranda trees in your street? Oh yes ... and I LOOOVE the omen chirp ... felt like saying "music please maestro": do do doo do, do do dooo do CHING CHING CHING .... :HaHa:

Shyone - cool street name (and refreshing to see the English spelling i.e. the "c" instead of the "k". Do you have any Jacaranda trees in your street? Oh yes ... and I LOOOVE the omen chirp ... felt like saying "music please maestro": do do doo do, do do dooo do CHING CHING CHING .... :HaHa:

That part of the world has lots of different types of tropical plants, but I don't think there are really any Jacaranda trees. I'm not sure I would even know one if I saw one.

That part of the world has lots of different types of tropical plants, but I don't think there are really any Jacaranda trees. I'm not sure I would even know one if I saw one.

Here is the Wiki link. The "Large Jacaranda in full bloom" photo is exactly what they look like in Pretoria. Imagine an entire city with these purple trees on both sides of every single street for miles in all directions. It's really spectacular.

The best picture I could find is here.

Here is the Wiki link. The "Large Jacaranda in full bloom" photo is exactly what they look like in Pretoria. Imagine an entire city with these purple trees on both sides of every single street for miles in all directions. It's really spectacular.

Beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen one.

Beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen one.

They are truly stunning. And after a month all the flowers fall off and make a purple carpet on the ground. If you walk/ride a bike or car over them, they kind of "pop" very softly. I've grown up surrounded by them and perhaps lost a bit of the appreciation. Aaah, I guess familiarity breeds familiarity (hehe).

Just a note to all of you here at ExC who have bought my book. When I published I was hoping to make a contribution to Free-thought around the world, and your support in this project is deeply appreciated. So .... thanks to you all.

Thankyou for sharing your story. I have had some experience with the effects of neurochemistry myself, as I have a problem with low levels of serotonin and endorphins in my brain. When they are low I am like a different person from when they are high. My whole perspective on life changes.

I agree that a lot of what is seen as God acting is simply misunderstanding the natural. For example I used to think God was speaking to me when I suddenly had a realisation about something or a helpful thought that seemed to not be connected with what I was previously thinking about. But after I left Christianity I discovered it still happened, and realised it was just my clever old brain coming up with things. Same with worship, my husband is still a Christian and guitarist for the worship team at his church, and when he plays worship music in the house I can sing along and get the same feelings I used to as a Christian. I still enjoy that sometimes, my Christian days are far enough in the past now that it doesn't confuse me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Valk0010

Having been born into an atheist family and professionally trained as a scientist, being an atheist seemed very normal to me. Isn't everyone atheist? Believing in God was so strange. But now being a Christian, South Africa you describe sounds real attractive! LOL

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your great testimony.

Piss of man, I don't care that your a christian, but you violate forum rules by posting here, and also even if it wasn't against the rules it is really offensive

Having been born into an atheist family and professionally trained as a scientist, being an atheist seemed very normal to me. Isn't everyone atheist? Believing in God was so strange. But now being a Christian, South Africa you describe sounds real attractive! LOL

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your great testimony.

Piss of man, I don't care that your a christian, but you violate forum rules by posting here, and also even if it wasn't against the rules it is really offensive

I concur.

Forgive me for also mentioning something I've wondered about. I wonder if the Europeans that are largely secular are actually gullible fools waiting for the right inspiration to become blathering idiots about some superstition or other.

Being an Ex-Christian is not the same as being an atheist (not only because some ex-christians follow other types of religious beliefs). Leaving Christianity usually requires investigation, introspection and a willingness to examine ones beliefs. At least for me and most others it was. For some, leaving Christianity was for emotional reasons or other superficial reasons without any foundation. If someone hears an unkind word and leaves, it might not take more than a kind word to get them back.

Are we getting more secular as a species only to turn around and adopt some new and dangerous superstition? Are the secular Europeans likely to become Muslims or Scientologists? Or Raelians? Or will they be like JayL and just decide to follow the crowd?

God forbid! (It's just an expression).

Great to see my thread come alive again - cool.

I know it's against the rules for believers to post here but I don't mind JayL's comment about finding SA attractive to the credulous. I will reply by saying that once JayL gets here, he will be able to choose between many delusions including Christianity. If he gets bored with his blood-sacrifice sky-God religion, he can go for some of the others that abound in South Africa like ancestral worship (plenty of sacrificing there) or, one of the biggest churches, the Zionist Christian Church which claims their leader, Edward Likganyane is Christ incarnate for black people, or perhaps he will prefer one of the churches that follows John the Baptist or the apostle Paul.

South Africa abounds with mass ignorance and credulity and so I guess JayL will feel right at home here.