Goodbye Jesus

Morality And Magnets

Shyone

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125304448&ps=cprs

Scientists have found a surprising link between magnets and morality. A person's moral judgments can be changed almost instantly by delivering a magnetic pulse to an area of the brain near the right ear, according to a study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Interesting article. The implications are clear, that morality is a decision making process that derives from neural transmissions.

I will post another article on a similar subject relating to logic and emotions and their competition in the brain affected by injuries to pathways to the Amygdala. I hope to include a little of my own analysis because the connection between recognition and religion is not as clear as the physical nature of morality.

The Holy Spirit is a supernatural magnet.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125304448&ps=cprs

Scientists have found a surprising link between magnets and morality. A person's moral judgments can be changed almost instantly by delivering a magnetic pulse to an area of the brain near the right ear, according to a study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Interesting article. The implications are clear, that morality is a decision making process that derives from neural transmissions.

I will post another article on a similar subject relating to logic and emotions and their competition in the brain affected by injuries to pathways to the Amygdala. I hope to include a little of my own analysis because the connection between recognition and religion is not as clear as the physical nature of morality.

I did a sermon one time on magnets....combined force when aligned, etc. Kind of interesting. My audience looked at me like wtf, but there you are.

No. What IS clear is that's where the Holy Spirit lives and the magnet apparently scares it off until you ask for forgiveness and it returns to its nest in your brain.

Magnets must have something to do with "sin" and the "devil." But you science types won't investigate that now will you? You just want to shut off morality for your sexy parties and make the baby jesus cry.

mwc

No. What IS clear is that's where the Holy Spirit lives and the magnet apparently scares it off until you ask for forgiveness and it returns to its nest in your brain.

Magnets must have something to do with "sin" and the "devil." But you science types won't investigate that now will you? You just want to shut off morality for your sexy parties and make the baby jesus cry.

mwc

And the kitties that die. Don't forget the kitties.LeslieHappyCry.gif

mwc

And the kitties that die. Don't forget the kitties.LeslieHappyCry.gif

Now you're hitting below the belt.

I retract my unsupported assertion that magnets can affect morality.

I wonder, though, if placing a magnet at the right place on a girl's head would allow me to persuade her to, um.

Oh, nevermind.

This just in:

Dateline Charlotte NC 3/30/10

The former Rod of God Ministriesin beautiful Charlotte will henceforth be know as the Bar Magnet of God Ministries. The Holy Right Reverend declined to elaborate, just kept muttering "damn science."

Film at 11

The word Magistrate will now be changed to Magnetistrate.

Guest Net Eng

Nah, it just means the "God sized hole" is in your head. :grin:

So, if I place a Q-Ray bracelet near my ear, I will suddenly get the urge to give guns human rights? :P

I think this further explains why "god" lives way up in outer space and doesn't show itself. Since the earth is shielded by a very large magnetic field this "god" is unable to penetrate it and come around. Magnets=sin. So he had to turn into a human for a little while since we can tolerate the field. Once "freed" from his human body he was expelled from the earth back into space. Once the magnetic field shuts down then "god" will invade. I guess the bible is true because when that happens all hell will break loose and our asses are pretty much done for.

mwc

Interesting paper. Apparently what happens is the person's ability to evaluate a person's intent when determining if an action is acceptable or not is degraded. The example given in the paper is a four-square grid where a person administers a substance to her friend either believing it's harmless when it is, believing it's harmless when it is toxic, believing it's toxic when it's harmless, or believing it's toxic when it is toxic. When people's brains were zapped results were skewed so that attempting to poison someone and failing was considered less morally wrong, possibly because they were applying more weight to the outcome (potential poisoning victim is fine) than to the intent. The differences for the other categories were not significantly different. It is somewhat inconsistent that there was no significant difference in pre-zap/post-zap evaluation of the negative outcome categories (victim dies due to accidental poisoning or is murdered). My guess is that people might figure that when someone dies that's much more serious than when someone might have died but didn't, so the impact on the evaluation is less. As I read the conclusion, that's pretty much what they think as well:

One possibility is that moral judgments typically reflect a weighted function of any morally relevant information that is available at the time. On the basis of this view, when information concerning the agent’s belief is unavailable or degraded, the resultingmoral judgment simply reflects a higher weighting of other morally relevant factors (e.g., outcome). Alternatively, following TMS to theRTPJ,moral judgments might bemade via an abnormal processing route that does not take belief into account. On either account, when belief information is degraded or unavailable,moral judgments are shifted toward other morally relevant factors (e.g., outcome). For intentional harms and nonharms, however, the outcome suggests the same moral judgment as the intention. Thus, we suggest that TMS to the RTPJ disrupted the processing of negative beliefs for both intentional harms and attempted harms, but the current design allowed us to detect this effect only in the case of attempted harms, in which the neutral outcomes did not afford harsh moral judgments on their own

They do have some additional analysis, so it's worth a read if you can get access.

I wonder, though, if placing a magnet at the right place on a girl's head would allow me to persuade her to, um.

Here you go. Just put your couch between a couple of these babies. (Notice the, "flexible positioning," part! That could be useful.)

Rare-earth Dual switch flexible positioning magnet from Strong-Hand and Lifton Magnets

I heard this on NPR radio the other day, really very fascinating. Taking morality into a physical real and away from the mysterious soul etc.... lol :wicked: