Goodbye Jesus

Rich vs Poor

Mike D

As for the comment about being on welfare in America being rich compared to 3rd World nations.

Just for the record I never said people in America on welfare were rich compared to people in 3rd world countries I was just pointing out that they are better off. But.... if you were living in a dirty cardboard box in sub-Saharan Africa and sleeping on the floor with the rats wouldn't you think that a person who has things like housing, utilities, running water, indoor plumbing, maybe a tv, a bed to sleep in, etc that they might be living pretty high on the hog?

Honestly I think some people in America really have no clue what life is like for people in 3rd world countries all they can do is look at themselves and whine because they have it so "bad". I have it bad too you know, my landscaper didn't show up on Friday and I actually had to pull 3 whole weeds myself so my nazi homeowners association wouldn't fine me $100 a day. It was horrible I tell you, I had to bend over, it was hot outside and I was even subjected to a fly buzzing around my head for the 5 minutes I was outside! The conditions were awful, I can't even believe I survived it!! :Wendywhatever:

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

What is poor?

Insufficient food, basic clothing, or shelter for basic well being (some would add healthcare, but I'm not convinced of that).

Who is rich?

Anyone is who never worries about the basics.

This is a great topic, and something that I ponder often.

When I was a child growing up, I didn't have borthers and sisters. I had both my parents, still married, and we lived in an upper class suburb. Most would call us "rich". My parents both had good, professional jobs. However, life wasn't so great for me. My mother never really liked being a mom, and took her frustrations out on me physically. If I made a wrong move or said something wrong, I would be physically assaulted, and as a result, learned just to not say or do anything. I was a zombie in school. Never had but one or two friends, never got high marks, constantly harassed by the teachers for "not paying attention". (This was before ADHD diagnoses were too common). I was never allowed to really go to any friends' houses or to any activities outside of school. I was also verbally abused, which sometimes I feel is worse than physical abuse. Always made fun of, even by my own parents. I was skinny and malnurished, probably because stress made it hard to really eat a decent meal.

When I got out on my own after high school, I lived in a crowded apartment complex in a blue collar neighborhood, in a two bedroom apartment with three other girls. I worked for 7 dollars an hour full time and rode the bus to and from work. We ran errands by running accross the street to the available shops, and I rode the bus to church on Sundays. The apartment sometimes had roaches. There were a lot of "undesirable" people in our complex and in our neighborhood. We often heard fights outside, neighbors having sex, loud music, and so on. To someone else, this would be classified as "poor", but to me, I felt like I was in the lap of luxury, because I was out of an abusive situation at home.

The next place I lived was in an all black neighborhood, in an apartment by myself. I was one of the only few white people. Contrary to popular belief, I never heard "shooting". In fact, I knew and was friendly with all my black neighbors. This neighborhood was considered the "ghetto", but I didn't see it that way. Nothing was stolen from me, I Wasn't attacked. Never had problems there.

After marriage, I moved to a neighborhood more realistic for me. More white people, although most of the white people here are rednecks, and everyone else is Mexican. Our place is older, and near a shipping dock. It's not considered the "ghetto", but it's not some desperate housewife suburb, that's for sure. COL is very low here. It's considered "poor" enough here, that when I tell a bubbly minivan mommie that I live here, she cringes.

Most people would look at my life- where I have lived, the jobs that I have worked, how long it took me to go back to and finish school, and think that I was "poor". But I am not. I am a very rich, lucky blessed individual. That's because I have my health, a nice place to live, food, a loving family, hobbies, things to do. But most of all, I have my *self*. I own the essence of who I am. That, imo, is more valuable than any amount of money, and I should know first hand. I would rather have no money and have that sense of self, than to be rich and go back ot my life the way it was as a child. In fact, I'd rather die.

1. What is your definition of rich?

2. What is your definition of poor?

3. Is rich and poor relative? If not, is there some formula we can use to define who is rich and who is poor in absolute terms?

I have friends who, like my parents, have chosen the keeping up with the Jonses lifestyle. As a result, they have MEGA debt that they can't keep up with, even with salaries that are 2 or 3 times what my husband and I make. Scaling down is not an option for them, because they were raised that this is how it should be. As a result of my choices, I have tons of money saved. I have security and a future. My husband and I have living expenses so that if we both had to work for minimum wage, it would work. I can afford to travel, to give, to even quit my job and stay home with my child if I wanted to.

I don't have a definition of rich and poor. I think it's relative. I think our society's views of social classes are skewed. I laughed when I saw that post about how are black kids in the ghetto supposed to study when they have people "shooting at their windows all the time."

In reality, most of those whom we view as rich really have debts exceeding their assets.

1.  What is your definition of rich?

2.  What is your definition of poor?

3.  Is rich and poor relative?  If not, is there some formula we can use to define who is rich and who is poor in absolute terms?

My definition of rich and poor is very different to 99.9% of society. I only believe in the two classes. I believe the middle class was made up in a well thought out plan.. Well maybe I'll leave that one for another day.

1. Rich are those who have enough money not to work. Those who require no form of income because what they have is enough to provide for them for the rest of their lives.

2. Poor are those who do have to work to live.

3. This question is tricky and one that I cannot fully answer. Of course the rich and poor are dependent on each other. However where exactly the line lies is difficult to determine. Personally, I consider only a very small portion of the world to be rich.