Goodbye Jesus

Do You Wish There Was A God?

Guest Babylonian Dream

I wish there was a God that smiled down upon me as I drank booze and smoked weed, and maybe gave me a little "assistance" when I'm trying to get laid.

Instead of "God is my copilot", "God is my wingman"? :58:

In a way it would be nice for there to be an omnipotent and omnibenevolent supreme being. Our world doesn't fit with that concept, though, so we can only take what we get.

Do I wish there was a god? Hells ya! I wish I would never have to part with my loved ones. I wish I could meet famous people of the past (present and future also). I wish I could live in a perfect heaven for all eternity and never die. I wish for a bazillion bux! But wishing for things doesn't make them come true.

Yeah, a God I could respect.

A God I could respect wouldn't be omnipotent. Because if an omnipotent god lets all this fucked up shit happen....

One of the few things I miss about the xtian days is the thought of final justice. Back when I was young and there was news of a rapist/killer/some threatning criminal who got away with a light sentence or was unconvicted, my paternal grandmother used to say that "god is patient, he'll wait as long as he needs to judge. So will the devil."

I liked the thought of some final justice not found on earth.

But go figure, wishful thinking.

I haven't watched the video (we have friends over and they're playing Left for Dead 2, so I wouldn't be able to hear it if I tried), but wanted to chime in for the pagans. It depends on how you define "god".

If you mean a judeo-christian style omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent god, then absolutely not.

Some of my reasons:

Personal experience: My belief in a god like that nearly ruined my life, and almost led me to suicide ("dying would be better than falling from grace").

God's evil deeds in the bible: I could never excuse a god that would slaughter innocents for the crime of one king (see the story of David and Bathsheba and the plagues of Eqypt story in the bible).

God's modern day evil deeds: I could never excuse a god who would allow child molesters to go unpunished, yet allows, or even causes, the Haiti earthquake.

Personal vendetta: I could never forgive a god who would arbitrarily forbid me from loving another adult human being, let alone allow me as a young child to go through what I did.

The nature of an individual can only be determined by outsiders by their actions. Looking at all the information we have on god's actions, I think Hitler just might be a better person than this kind of a god if he does in fact exist. To trust that in spite of his actions, he's a morally upright being, is like the battered wife who says "but he's really a nice guy when he isn't drinking!" I kind of expect a being more powerful than I to be more moral than I myself am, and I know for a fact I would not have allowed things like (above) to happen, or at least not outright CAUSE them. By everything we read in the bible, Satan is more moral than god (especially because Satan is mentioned so much less than God).

HOWEVER:

I am pagan, I do have gods. Sure, they're symbolic, at most they'd have to be like aliens-similar to human beings, just more advanced. To me, it doesn't really matter if they're real or not (the chance of my gods being real is ridiculously small), because the symbolic aspect is very much true, and that's enough for me. It offers me a great way to view what I know is real around me, and offers me great suggestions on how to live my life. So...in that sense, I don't see what's wrong with gods.

One of the few things I miss about the xtian days is the thought of final justice. Back when I was young and there was news of a rapist/killer/some threatning criminal who got away with a light sentence or was unconvicted, my paternal grandmother used to say that "god is patient, he'll wait as long as he needs to judge. So will the devil."

I liked the thought of some final justice not found on earth.

But go figure, wishful thinking.

LOL

I'm sorry, that was one of the things that turned me off of christianity. The idea of Jeffrey Dohmer going to Heaven (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFzp7l8LJo8), but people like my grandmother going to hell... Yeah, I can't say I'd agree on final justice. I do agree with you that final justice REALLY appeals to me, but I was never even offered a form of christianity that said works determine where you go. All that ever mattered was whether or not you weaseled your way out of punishment with prayer.

I wish there was a God.

I wish there was a God that was cool as fuck.

I wish there was a God that smiled down upon me as I drank booze and smoked weed, and maybe gave me a little "assistance" when I'm trying to get laid.

I wish there was a God that had an afterlife prepared for us where we could all go and party forever, and where the criteria for getting "in" are all but non-existent. Maybe neo-Nazis and other such assholes would be spanked for 10,000 years as a form of "rehabilitation", and particularly nasty characters like Hitler would be cast into oblivion... but the vast bulk of humanity would get to party forever in the afterlife.

Sounds pretty goddamn good?

Indeed it sounds goddam fucking good.

Even with all the evil fuckers that have come and gone and exist nowadays, I'd want this God to give even the worst a purgatory for them to rehabilitate. No matter how long it took, they'd eventually repent and reform. He (or) she could outwait them.

On the other hand, as a sort of half assed deist,(I think there's something out there, just don't know what it is) I hope there is a god, even if it means there's no afterlife, and there's no help coming from above.

I know you atheist folks are going to give me a textual beating for this, but it just helps for me to think that there is some sort of creator(Yeah, yeah I know first cause sucks)or there is some sort of "Ground of Being" that all of existence originates from.

And honestly, I do wish there was some sort of afterlife, as long as it's pleasant, but I'm trying to come to terms with the idea that, more than likely, when I breathe my last, that I'll be nothing more than a lump of dead meat.