Goodbye Jesus

Fire!

Citsonga

I should be in bed, but we just had a little bit of "excitement" at my house. There was a fire in the back room of the house (an added-on room with a sliding glass door that used to be the back door of the house), which my oldest daughter had recently started using for a bedroom. I had just gone to bed about a half hour earlier but was awoken by yells of "FIRE!" and smoke detectors going off.

I found that my daughter's mattress was on fire, so I ran and grabbed an extinguisher, but the fire was getting too big to get close enough to. I quickly closed the glass door, and thankfully the fire died down pretty quickly. In retrospect, I wish I had thought to shut the door when I first saw the fire (which surely would have reduced the damage) instead of frantically wanting to extinguish it, but at least I had the sense to shut it before it got any bigger.

In the meantime, my wife called 911 and the fire department was here FAST! (Gotta hand it to them for being ready!) The house was filled with smoke, but thankfully the fire had snuffed out and we all got out safely (the dogs too!). The room and some of my daughter's belongings are toast, but thankfully nobody was hurt (other than a minor burn on my wrist) and we have insurance.

I'll refrain from posting suspicions on the cause of the fire until the fire marshal investigates it.

Anyway, now I'm sure many will be thanking almighty gawd for protecting us. Yeah, he was almighty enough for me to shut the door, for my wife to call 911, for us all to grab the dogs and get out, and for the firemen to clear out the smoke and pull the charred debris from the house, but not almighty enough to prevent the fire in the first place, nor even almighty enough to prompt me/us to shut the door quicker?

But, alas, we're ok....

Damn! I'm glad you and your family are ok Citsonga.

I'm glad everyone's okay! (Including the dogs.)

If you'd just thought to gather the family (and pets) together, and get on your knees in prayer that the demon of fire be driven from your house in the name of JEEZUS everything would have been provided by the lard.

Seriously, glad everyone is ok. I've been through a couple moderate incidences and it's tough to think, let alone be rational, in those conditions.

• Super Moderator

Glad disaster was averted. There but for the grace of God . . .

Glad you and your family are OK! Quick thinking on your part probably stopped it from becoming a disaster.

If God was so mighty, he wouldn't have let the fire start in the first place. Thus negating any need to thank him for anything, and relegating him to the sidelines. Or philosophically rendering him completely out of existence.

Glad disaster was averted. There but for the grace of God . . .

Yet another case where the, "grace of God," and the grace of oxygen deprivation achieve the same result! This might explain a great many things...

Yet another case where the, "grace of God," and the grace of oxygen deprivation achieve the same result! This might explain a great many things...

Not so. "Pneuma" would be the wind or "spirit" so actually *having* old "god" around would have probably caused the fire to grow into an inferno. It's his unbelief that scared off "god" keeping him from getting a good foothold and causing a catastrophe.

mwc

Thanks everyone. We should be ok. A guy from our insurance provider was here a little while ago and said that an adjuster should be coming Monday, and hopefully the cleanup can be started by Tuesday. Most of the house is still livable, but the smoke smell is pretty strong, so we're going to be spending a few nights away.

The fire marshal hasn't been here yet, so the exact cause hasn't been determined yet. I have a suspicion, but I still don't want to say too much until after things settle down a bit and I have another talk with my daughter about it and the marshal checks it out.

Thanks again for all the non-prayers and the moral support!

I realized today that, of all the rooms in this house, that room was the best one to have to deal with a fire in. Since it was an added on room, the sliding glass door entrance to the room used to be an outside door and therefore sealed well when closed, and the door leading out through the sun room was a fire door. No other room in this house would have been as air-tight by closing the door as that room. We are definitely fortunate, considering how much worse the fire could have been.

That room will have to be completely redone, and some adjacent rooms will need painted. Practically the whole house will need cleaned up from the smoke residue. Thankfully the insurance will be handling that stuff.

I'm running on less than two hours of sleep (yes, I did actually go to work today!). Ironically, I believe last night was the only night this week I'd gotten to bed before 10pm, but I obviously couldn't stay there too long!

Not so. "Pneuma" would be the wind or "spirit" so actually *having* old "god" around would have probably caused the fire to grow into an inferno. It's his unbelief that scared off "god" keeping him from getting a good foothold and causing a catastrophe.

mwc

But Rhua was, "breath," so it would have been already depleted of oxygen by god.

Exegesis fight! Bring it, mofo! :HaHa: (What defines a true exegetics fight is that the abstruseness of the arguments is in inverse proportion to the significance of the topic.)

Glad to hear all that, Citsonga. For a bad situation, it sounds like it's as good as it can be.

Get some sleep, brother.