Goodbye Jesus

Christians Are 2Nd Kiva Group To Loan $1 Million

TexasFreethinker

Kiva is a non-profit organization that helps individuals make small interest-free loans to poor people around the world. Lenders can join "lending teams" based on their interests, etc.

Kiva just announced that the group of lenders named Kiva Christians recently reached the $1 million in loans, which is a great achievement.

However, another group named Atheists, Agnostics, Skeptics, Freethinkers, Secular Humanists and the Non-Religious reached that milestone first back in 2009 and is currently up to $1,818,850 in loans.

Not every christian belongs to the christian group, just as every atheist doesn't necessarily belong to the atheist group, but I thought this was a nice rebuke to those christians who like to claim that atheists are not charitable.

I encourage anyone who has the ability to make a loan thru Kiva. The minimum loan amount is $25, so you don't have to be wealthy to participate.

/Devil's Advocate.

This discrepancy could probably be explained by educational differences. Education is probably positively correlated with knowledge about some semi-obscure cutting edge non-profit scheme such as Kiva. Christians, particularly fundies, are less educated.

/Devil's Advocate.

This discrepancy could probably be explained by educational differences. Education is probably positively correlated with knowledge about some semi-obscure cutting edge non-profit scheme such as Kiva. Christians, particularly fundies, are less educated.

I don't know... Kiva has been on Oprah, so at least some of the less educated christians have been made aware :wicked: