Goodbye Jesus

Lotus Tattoo Design

Ancey

Well, for the past while, I'd been thinking about the possibility of getting a tattoo. And I'm not incredibly brash about it, so I'm going to wait about two months before going near a needle gun. (this will give me the time to donate blood twice. Once I have a tattoo, I must wait a full year before donating blood again) And I'm still only considering it as a possibility. But I'm doing research.

But, last night, I think I settled on a subject matter I feel is suitable.

A symbolic Lotus Flower.

100_1676.jpg

I looked into the symbolism behind a Lotus- it's a symbol of purity (which is actually a tribute to my name) and of overcoming obstacles. I did go through some rough periods in my life, and I think it's suitable to use it. It also appeals a bit to my Buddhist tendencies without being overtly religious. Flowers, overall, are also a very feminine tattoo.

For those here who know Buddhism, do notice that there are eight parts to the flower (5 petals, two leaves, one stem) and eight circles in the design. Small tribute.

I did literally stumble over the concept late last night, and drew the design around midnight. I edited it to the near-final version this morning. Sadly, my black ink in my printer is gone, so this printed version above is brown, not the final black.

I kept it simple- and the design is about 2.5 inches long and a bit less than that in width. The image above is just bad lighting, it's printed on a piece of paper and I expect it to be the final design.

And like I said, I'm going to wait two months. I might eventually trash this design for another, but I do really like it. It's simple yet rather elegant and personally symbolic. It's position is ideally on the shoulder blade.

Well, I'm an old lady who doesn't much get with this modern tattoo thing generally, but this one looks good. Its small, its on your shoulder, so if need be you can cover it. I like it.

Of course it may have something to do with the fact that I'm Buddhist lol.

Well, I'm an old lady who doesn't much get with this modern tattoo thing generally, but this one looks good. Its small, its on your shoulder, so if need be you can cover it. I like it.

Of course it may have something to do with the fact that I'm Buddhist lol.

:)

Call it the 'trying to be different/artsy' or something like that. haha. I'll admit it now, I think a tattoo I design myself is something unique, even if permanent.

I'm happy to appeal to the Buddhist side of me a bit, and also to the side that enjoys the aesthetics of Eastern Culture, and the symbolism of a lotus. It's also not really religious, so if I change my mind about Buddhism, it won't be annoying to have. My cousin will likely be stoked though if I got it (he's a Buddhist, a few years younger than me. But he wants to get a large Buddha tattoo. heehee.)

It's also hopefully in a place that won't stretch much, and isn't incredibly painful (apparently) and not getting a huge tattoo either.

I'm waiting a long time before getting it, though. One: to save the money up first, two: to think about it and acknowledge it will be essentially permanent... Though I do have a few friends who have already gotten tattoos, even at 14 or 15. I'm 18 now, so I am old enough to get one legally by myself.

Ancey, you seem like a very thoughtful person. If I were you I would look on it as something permanent but also it could be something like a rite of passage to remind you of where you are right now. So if many years from now you get away from Buddhism or don't like it, it might still hold some fond memories.

• Super Moderator

Do what I did. Wait until you're in your 60s before getting a tattoo. That way you won't have time to get tired of it, it won't have time to fade, and it won't have very much farther to sag.

FWIW, tattooed chicks are hot. Tattooed grandmas act younger than their pristine counterparts. Tramp stamps are a no-no.

Enjoy!

Ancey, you seem like a very thoughtful person. If I were you I would look on it as something permanent but also it could be something like a rite of passage to remind you of where you are right now. So if many years from now you get away from Buddhism or don't like it, it might still hold some fond memories.

Thanks Deva, for the kind words.

I'm not heavily Buddhist to begin with (I'm overall very non-religious) but Buddhism seems to be the only religion I really respect, and is one of the most logical and reasonable of all the religions I've encountered. Actions are more important than beliefs, the beliefs expect good conduct, and yet don't punish for not actually following one particular doctrine. But Buddhism has been a positive influence on me, and is overall a positive religion (and seems to me less a religion than a philosophy of life.)

And as I've said, the Lotus has personal symbolism to me now, too. It is a symbol of purity, and the word 'pure' is in relation to my name. And the overcoming obstacles and rising out of the mud also hits home a little bit. And it's compounded by the fact that I designed it myself. Even if this design isn't used, I'll likely stick to a lotus flower as my first tattoo.

Do what I did. Wait until you're in your 60s before getting a tattoo. That way you won't have time to get tired of it, it won't have time to fade, and it won't have very much farther to sag.

FWIW, tattooed chicks are hot. Tattooed grandmas act younger than their pristine counterparts. Tramp stamps are a no-no.

Enjoy!

Hahahaha. XD I don't wanna wait another 48 years, but I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I'll get a large tattoo when I'm 60. This is a tiny tattoo. really tiny. The photo makes it looks huge.

And yes... No tramp stamps for me... it's a bit too white-trashy for my taste. (Some people might be able to get away with it with the right tattoo, but not everyone)

Got my first at 45, my second six months ago at 49. I love 'em. Might get another one yet :)

I got mine in my late 40s - a stunning dragon down my right arm. I absolutely LOVE my dragon, and if I had the money (it's VERY expensive in SA) I would get more. Tattoos are SO cool - so go for it.

Beautiful, I love the design.

I think it's lovely, kudos for designing your own too!

I have two tattoos, and I thought about both for a good while (though one of them came to me in a dream). I'm a fan, I already have a couple more in planning. I'd love to get one honoring Tom Robbins' book Jitterbug Perfume. As I see it in my head now, it would be the word "Erleichda!" (a supposedly ancient Bohemian word meaning "lighten up!") surrounded by honey bees and jasmine flowers. If one has read the book, it's easier to understand. But I'm digging the idea. Alas, I am poor, so I can't run off and get it.

Small is preferable when you're young, and it's your first. I think you're on the right track with this one. But be warned, they're addicting!