Goodbye Jesus

Anyone else have family stuck in Houston?

spamandham

My parents and sister (with family) tried to get out of the path of Rita, and ended up turning back since they didn't think they'd make it out before Rita hit. Anyone else dealing with this latest huricane crap?

Guest God's Prosecutor

Yes. I tried to book a hotel room in Austin, San Antonio, or Dallas on Tuesday afternoon, but we were too late. Mrs. Prosecutor and I decided instead to just start driving west on I-10 as soon as possible, which would have been right after work on Thursday. Worst case scenario we would have to live in our van down by the river-walk for a couple of days. We woke up on Thursday morning to the news that all freeways out of town had turned into 100 mile long parking lots, so that was the end of that evacuation "plan."

Our subdivision is not prone to flooding, but it came darned close when Alison came in 2001. Mrs. Prosecutor cannot swim (or walk for that matter) so she started calling local hotels. She found an opening about 5 miles from our house, so she booked it for Friday through Sunday. They even said that we could bring our cat. Our only concern at that point was finding parking above ground level. I can park at a multi-level garage about a mile away and hoof it back, but I'm hoping to find something closer.

Unfortunately, that deal may have fallen through now. The hotel called a couple of hours later and "asked" if she would cancel her reservation, though it seems that the only acceptable answer in their view was, "yes." They said that they are allowing current guests to stay, but will not accept new guests and noone will be at the front desk. Mrs. Prosecutor said that she would have to ask them to make an exception because it is at this point our safest option. He said, "Okay, bye," and hung up before she could say anything else, so we don't know if that was an, "okay, we will give you your room," or an, "okay, I don't care, bitch." We will head over there around noon tomorrow to find out.

If they won't give us a room we will try to set up camp in the lobby if it seems safe enough. I doubt the police would cooperate in helping them throw a woman in a wheelchair and her elderly cat out into the storm, but if things go bad we have a plan B. Mrs. Prosecutor has a plush corner office in a hospital in the medical center. We can camp out under her desk, if need be. It flooded BADLY during Alison, but extreme measures have been taken to prevent that from happening again.

So... enjoy the show, folks. Let me know what happens on BSG tomorrow.

Most of my family is down there. My mother's parents moved up to Wisconsin when my mom was 3, and she and her three siblings and their kids are the only ones up here. My other aunts, uncles, cousins, and the like are all down in the Houston area. The aunt we usually stay with when we visit isn't leaving, just boarding up the windows; her two daughters evac'd a bit further north. Everyone else, I don't know.

No family, but I have friend stuck. She tried to get out Wednesday, with her elderly grandmother.

Twelve hours and 3/4 tank of gas later..she was still there. Grandmother is now in the hospital and she's camped in the waiting room..what a mess.

My nephew his wife and infant daughter fled NO for Houston before Katrina hit. They left NO with what they could stuff in a Honda Civic with much of the space being taken up by baby things. Now they are stuck in traffic heading North trying to get out of that mess. From what I hear they are planning on coming back to ORegon.

I evacuated from a suburb of Houston 30 miles north of Galveston.

Yes, there was a lot of traffic on I-45. There was also a lot of traffic on all the other major highways.

Fortunately, my family and I thought to take out a map and figure out an alternate route. After inching our way through I-45 for about an hour, we cut through other communities, weaved in and out of rural country roads, and made it to Dallas in only 6 and a half hours without hitting any more traffic jams. We were able to get a very nice hotel room with a microwave and fridge, in a hotel with a pool, jacuzzi and workout room.

It pays to think.

Yes. I tried to book a hotel room in Austin, San Antonio, or Dallas on Tuesday afternoon, but we were too late.

I couldn't find a really good hotel, but I was able to find an "out-of-the-way" Motel 6 -- it was nicer than most, but I would have slept under a ledge after 31 hours on the highway!!! Found it on the internet Tuesday afternoon, made the reservations, and headed out on Wednesday afternoon. If I were breeding material, this would be something to tell the grandkids!!! LOL!

Back at home at last, and lovin' it! It felt like the friggin' Trail of Tears -- without the Yankee muskets on our asses.

Well I'm at a refugee center in San Antonio..... Hehe its no picnic..... and it doesn't get easier. I have fellow refugees in here that say they liked it better when they were leaving on the streets.

Well I'm glad the two of you (aexpo and BH) are ok. BH, if it isn't too personal to discuss, what are you doing in the refugee center? Did you come from NO?

Well I'm glad the two of you (aexpo and BH) are ok.  BH, if it isn't too personal to discuss, what are you doing in the refugee center?  Did you come from NO?

There's a thread here..

I just saw this on the news, the shelter there. Boy..what a place!