Goodbye Jesus

Veggie-Tales!

sumluvlifilth

I grew up on Ren and Stempy.

Yes, but Ren and Stimpy isn't great programming for young children.

It was great. I loved Ren and Stimpy, but it had about the same moral, social, and educational value as Beavis and Butthead.

Not really something I'd say would be a great substitute for Veggitales, or even something that a child of the target age for Veggitales should really be watching.

It's not exactly 'adult' programming, unless you count the stuff they put on Spike a while back, but it's pretty much for older children and grown ups.

Don't get me wrong, Ren and Stimpy are totally awesome. I've got the entire series myself. It's just not the sort of thing that would work very well in this particular situation.

I doubt Ren and Stimpy would hurt the child, but I also think it's a bit too mature and way over the head of someone who is of the age to be watching Veggitales.

I don't think a kid would be equipped to understand the intricacy of such a belief system at that age. Veggie tales sugar coats it so kids can better digest it, if you've seen those children stupified bibles you know what I am talking about.

It is seriously fucked up when adult men and women expose their kids to such tripe, thinking kids actually need to take beliefs seriously at that age, what a load of horse shit. Its as if they trick kids into believing by drawing them in with fun stories and games, and telling them this jolly fellow named jesus loves them and shit, without of course telling them about all the nasty tid bits in the bible. Kind of like how they build up the beliefs of Santa and the tooth fairy, rewarding them with presents and money, telling them it was Santa and the Tooth Fairy that did it, people seem to think lying to kids about non existent things is cute and harmless, its fucking stupid if you ask me.

I think some of you are underestimating the ability for children think about and analyze what they've been taught. Kids grow out of dumb beliefs as long as they're not constantly reinforced. Case in point: Santa Claus. Very few kids have to be talked out of Santa Claus. They're usually content to believe in him until somewhere between ages 6 and 10.

Instead of telling your kids that they can't watch Veggie Tales, let them watch. If you raise them in an environment that is not constantly shoving Jesus down their throat, they will eventually lose their taste for it, anyway.

And if you're still worried about it, expose them to some other forms of gods. The single biggest inoculation from theism that I had as a kid was being aware of other forms of theism and how similar they are to Christianity. Heck, the Greek and Roman gods were also instrumental in making it impossible for me to ever be a theist, because people actually believed in them at one time, and they didn't have any better a reason to do so than the modern day Christians.

Let your kids be skeptics. Don't try to shield them from the nonsense. EXPOSE them to it. Your kids are smarter than you think they are. The moment they see that there are several of these religions and that not one is any better than the other, they'll immediately doubt ALL of them.

I certainly wouldn't let young children go to church. I might allow them to watch/read things along side me so we could discuss it, but I would never, ever let my children be alone with a Christian who's agenda is to brainwash my child into their religion. Unfortunately, your children have already gotten hooked on Christianity thanks to you and now you're just confusing them as someone else has said. Either they go to church and get to be good little Christian soldiers or they don't. Make up your mind.

I don't think a kid would be equipped to understand the intricacy of such a belief system at that age. Veggie tales sugar coats it so kids can better digest it, if you've seen those children stupified bibles you know what I am talking about.

It is seriously fucked up when adult men and women expose their kids to such tripe, thinking kids actually need to take beliefs seriously at that age, what a load of horse shit. Its as if they trick kids into believing by drawing them in with fun stories and games, and telling them this jolly fellow named jesus loves them and shit, without of course telling them about all the nasty tid bits in the bible. Kind of like how they build up the beliefs of Santa and the tooth fairy, rewarding them with presents and money, telling them it was Santa and the Tooth Fairy that did it, people seem to think lying to kids about non existent things is cute and harmless, its fucking stupid if you ask me.

I agree. I told my kids about Jesus- but I told my son the nasty, violent parts too. I laid it all out for him when I was a Christian, but I was because I thought our beliefs were a serious fucking matter! Remember, Christians are told that they and their children will go to hell if they don't accept christ. Therefore, I taught my children that what they believed was very serious, thus leading to this freakout over veggietales. Yes, I will admit that it is completely my fault for letting them continue to go to sunday school, because I was an idiot for not thinking that he didn't take any of it seriously. I was also an idiot for EVER letting him watch that tripe- but stopped (at least when I was around-I work a lot, and cannot control what my husband lets them watch) because I saw how much it deviated and was sugar-coated (I was too fundy to allow it when I was a christian)

However, back then, I did not believe I was lying to my children at all. Likewise, I did not tell them that Santa, Toothfairy, Easterbunny or anything else were real, as they are not. I told them that they were pretend (mostly because I thought they were of the devil).

OMG! Contra, I LOVE the Animaniacs!!! What an awesome suggestion. It truly never gets old!

I don't have kids, but I can't see myself sending them off to sunday school for any reason. I get that some here were christians when they had kids, but...ew.

Don't force anything, but there are lots of good suggestions here to work with. And I second the Animaniacs DVD.

Just since I find this hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePGlKqbs9d8