Goodbye Jesus

Homosexuals and Shellfish

Christopher Carrion

These laws have not been done away with, just considered in a different light. Instead of the literal interpretation (letter) of the law, we are to find more important the meaning and purpose of the law! Instead of obedience to the law, there is now a desire to fulfill the law. These OT laws were written on tablets of stone, and Jesus came to write them on our hearts and in our minds. IMHO.

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

How exactly does one "reinterpret" the instructions listed in Leviticus? Do this....don't do this.....this pleases the lord.....this displeases the lord.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Or are you just reinventing scripture that is a personal inconvienience? Kill any witches lately? No. Else you'd be writing from jail. How do you reinterpret that verse anyway? "Thou shall not suffer a witch to live."

:shrug:

How do you reinterpret that verse anyway? "Thou shall not suffer a witch to live."

I have a feeling Amanda is one of the more "enlightened" ones that know that where the KJV says "witch" it's actually a mistranslation of "poisoner". But I don't believe this same explaination could account for all of the very clear cut and unamibiguous demands the christian god makes in the OT...

IMOHO,

:thanks:

Lord of the Rings was considered satanic and bad when I grew up, now Christians claim it's a story about Jesus. (Huh? How?)

It's the grail story in reverse.

How exactly does one "reinterpret" the instructions listed in Leviticus? Do this....don't do this.....this pleases the lord.....this displeases the lord.

White Raven, it seems to me that no one can read and study the Bible in a manner it deserves to know ALL of it perfectly... yet. Again, I am a Christian, so my emphasis is on the NT. I liken it to if I want to build a house today, I can research the laws and codes to do so from fifty years ago... the basics are probably the same, yet I would prefer a more up to date version of these laws and codes because they are going to be more appropriate and applicable for today.

Now if you don't want to heal someone and/or get your oxen out of the ditch because it is the sabbath, that's fine with me. IMO, it doesn't have to be that way though... :shrug:

How do you reinterpret that verse anyway? "Thou shall not suffer a witch to live." 

Exodus 22:18 Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

My brief research into this shows that the word 'witch' is not a noun, but a participle. Hence, this word is not a person, but a word that has characteistics of an adjective and a verb. The definition is found here: http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Hebrew...784&version=kjv

The definition of the word 'live' is found here:

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Hebrew...421&version=kjv

My interpretation of this would be:

You do not need to submit yourself or force on yourself the practice of witchcraft and sorcery to live and be prosperous.

But we run pretty fast! Can you keep up? :HaHa:

You're not too fast for me! :bluegrab:

Just kidding of course, I saw that emoticon and I couldn't resist! :wicked:

What if we ate gay shellfish?

Mr Spooky, it's a nice surprise to see you out of the 'science' sections. And concerning the OT... why weren't you there when we needed you? :17:

Before all of you panic, I MEANT THAT WITH RESPECT... OK!

Where is the reasoning in this interpretation?  I can run the red light so long as I really don't want to?  I can have physical adultery with another man, so long as I am thinking about how much I love my husband?  I can murder out of love so long as I don't hate?  You draw a gray area where there is none.

Serenity Now, please allow me to explain to you my understanding of this matter. What is the purpose and meaning of the law to stop at a red light? Is it done because we want to stop there? What is the purpose and meaning of not committing adultry? Do you think it is because you won't be thinking of how much you love your husband while in the act? Do you think the meaning and purpose against murdering is because you do it in hate? I think it has to do with respect... of yourself and others. IMOHO. So, if I come to a stop sign at an intersection, in the middle of the desert, and can't see a car for as many, many miles of open land that my eyes can possibly see... I consider myself a conscientous driver, and I'd run the stop sign without any feelings of guilt. It's about respecting the rights of others, not because I wanted to stop. That's my understanding. :shrug:

In your opinion, what was the meaning of Jesus telling people it was ok to heal someone on the sabbath, and to get your oxen out of the ditch? The purpose of the sabbath is for man, NOT man for the sabbath. It was about understanding the meaning and purpose of these laws. IMO. What do you think it means when it is said that the 'letter' of the law kills, but that Jesus came to give 'life' and to give it more abundantly?

Where, in the gospels does it say this?

The laws were written on tablets of stone may not be in the gospels, but in the OT.

De 4:13 And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

Definition of 'tables' here:

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Hebrew...871&version=kjv

I want you to know, it doesn't matter to me that you have your different opinion, I respect you and your opinion very much. I guess you might say that you are holding yourself up to a higher standard than I think is necessary. There certainly isn't anything wrong with that, as long as you're happy with it... that's what counts. You're cool with me, ANY WAY.

Q. A friend of mine feels that though eating shellfish is an abomination (Leviticus 11:10) it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

A. They are different words in Hebrew, so your friend is right. But in any case, the clean and unclean animals distinction has gone with Peter's vision. So the New Testament abolishes the Old Testament food laws. But the New Testament confirms that homosexual activity is an abomination. Shellfish don't agree with me, but that's another matter. You tuck in to that prawn curry.

So the New Testament abolishes the Old Testament food laws.  But the New Testament confirms that homosexual activity is an abomination.  Shellfish don't agree with me, but that's another matter.  You tuck in to that prawn curry.

:lmao:

Hebrews 13:8: "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever."

What do you believe Pug? A religion or the bible? Many religions form from the bible you know.

Q.  A friend of mine feels that though eating shellfish is an abomination (Leviticus 11:10) it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.  I don't agree.  Can you settle this?

A.  They are different words in Hebrew, so your friend is right.  But in any case, the clean and unclean animals distinction has gone with Peter's vision.  So the New Testament abolishes the Old Testament food laws.  But the New Testament confirms that homosexual activity is an abomination.  Shellfish don't agree with me, but that's another matter.  You tuck in to that prawn curry.

Doesn't explain why Christians don't follow the law that demands killing your disobedient son.

And if NT has such power to establish new and overriding laws over OT, why don't Christians follow Paul's rules about women in Church?

Still, it is a spandex theology.

Mr Spooky, it's a nice surprise to see you out of the 'science' sections. And concerning the OT... why weren't you there when we needed you? :17:

I'm afraid I've been quite busy lately. University life is really stressful this semester. :HappyCry: