Goodbye Jesus

Corruption of the Bible

Guest acorn

Guest acorn

How does the corruption of the mainstream Bible affect Christianity? And how does the corruption of the Bible affect the Christian "Harvest", "Signs of the end Days", and current claimed prophecy?

Not sure where you're coming from, Acorn. I'd say the corruption of the Bible makes the whole religion a washout. In my view, the Bible is not only corrupted by errors of copyists over the centuries. It's corrupted from the get-go as the biblical writers made up stuff, falsified, did "pious forgeries," invented theological musings dressed up as historical events, reworked Bronze Age tribal legends into purported history, etc. etc.

P.S. what's with the huge, blue font?

How does the corruption of the mainstream Bible affect Christianity?
It has made the entire religion corrupt.

And how does the corruption of the Bible affect the Christian "Harvest"
There is no harvest. The harvest was part of the corruption that was added to the bible in order to keep people busy proselytizing for the religion instead of realizing they were being controlled my a bunch of manipulative men.

"Signs of the end Days", and current claimed prophecy?
Much of what you are being told is "signs of the end days", is really due to the fact that so many people believe the corrupted bible, that they are actually molding the world to fit into the end-times prophesy.

That's pretty neat, isn't it? The Devil has so many people believing the parts of the bible that he wrote, that it actually has people convinced that they should bring an end to this world.

That old Devil sure is a crafty one, isn't he?

Acorn, I don't know you but I feel I must share with you that God has just told me to direct you to give up smoking. His grace is sufficient unto you. Your body is a temple for His Spirit. Take the money you save from the cigarettes and buy food for the homeless. Give portions to seven, yes to eight, for you do not know what disaster may come upon the land.

How does the corruption of the mainstream Bible affect Christianity? And how does the corruption of the Bible affect the Christian "Harvest", "Signs of the end Days", and current claimed prophecy?

Um....the bible has not been corrupted...it always was.

What's up with the big blue font?

The bible is corrupted?

My Gods have told me to Frag you.

Prepare to eat Rockets.

Merlin

How is the Bible corrupted? Are we talking about oral tradition between 33 C.E. and 70 C.E? Are we talking about redaction in the New Testament texts? Are we talking about councils like that of Nicea? Are we talking about when the Church leaders decided what texts were to be included and what was to be rejected? Perhaps the Hebrew Bible?

Matthew

How is the Bible corrupted? Are we talking about oral tradition between 33 C.E. and 70 C.E? Are we talking about redaction in the New Testament texts? Are we talking about councils like that of Nicea? Are we talking about when the Church leaders decided what texts were to be included and what was to be rejected? Perhaps the Hebrew Bible?

Matthew

Matthew~

I know you believe the Bible is corrupted..... I'm just curious why acorn thinks that.

TAP

Guest JP1283

I think acorn wants to know why we think the Bible is corrupted even though the Signs of the Last Days are all around us.

Guest Angry Agnostic

The bible was a work of fiction, so how could it possibly have been corrupted? On the other hand, just because it was fiction doesn't make it all bullshit. "Hamlet" was fiction, and it isn't bullshit; the movie "The Godfather" was fiction, and it wasn't bullshit. Great literary classics often reveal truths about humans and their relationship to each other and the world. Parts of the bible do a fair job at that, although on the whole "Hitchhikers Guide the Galaxy" is a much more enjoyable read.

And what's up with the big blue font?

The bible was a work of fiction, so how could it possibly have been corrupted? On the other hand, just because it was fiction doesn't make it all bullshit. "Hamlet" was fiction, and it isn't bullshit; the movie "The Godfather" was fiction, and it wasn't bullshit. Great literary classics often reveal truths about humans and their relationship to each other and the world. Parts of the bible do a fair job at that, although on the whole "Hitchhikers Guide the Galaxy" is a much more enjoyable read.

Exactly!!!!

Christianity is essentially a category error. People whose lives are changed and affected by other good books do not have to believe that the characters in those books are literally real - by making their story into something that has to be literally true, Chritianity committed the ultimate error of spirituality. I believe this is analogous to what Jesus was describing with his little comment about "building your house on the sand" - building one's spirituality on what is esssentially a paper god (The Bible) rather than on the realities of life and the better angles of our nature.

And before you protest (as I used to) that the Bible is not a paper God, I ask you: If it is the only tangible artifact of God's interaction with mankind, how can it be anything else? If there was no Bible, would you believe as you do? Would there be ANYTHING to bear witness to the doctrines that you hold and the framework of your thoughts? Of course not. So the Bible is the ultimate authority in your spiritual life, and thus it is - defacto if not dejure - your God.

-Lokmer

Matthew~

I know you believe the Bible is corrupted..... I'm just curious why acorn thinks that.

TAP

TAP,

You don't know that for sure. I never said I believed that the Bible has been corrupted. It may have been altered in some ways through redaction but that's not the same thing as corruption. I believe that the oral tradition may be infected by legendary embellishment or that sayings were invented by the later Churches in the process of challenge-reposte among differing Church factions.

Matthew

Maybe Acorn is one of those KJV fanatics.

Guest BeMuseMe

I say it was corrupt from the very begining as it is just a compilation of varied books and not "A" book that was written as/of a unified piece. This alone accounts for its disjointedness when read from front to back. It does not so mch show itself to be an inspired revelation as a partial history of the evolution of religious thought in the west. This evolution is becoming more and more clear with the discovery and recovery of other texts like the dead sea scrolls, et cetera. It is nothing more than one dusty old text amongst many...

Maybe Acorn is one of those KJV fanatics.

:screams in horror: No! Not one of those militant beasts! :runs and hides:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if the system is exhibiting corruption, there is little to do for the data, it's pretty much gone, and the usual solution is to nuke it and start over again. In other words, you just made a good point about the worthlessness of Christian dogma, and the fact that the faith is more than a little wanting.

Great shot, sniper, 5 in the cylinders and one in your foot.

Not sure where you're coming from, Acorn.  I'd say the corruption of the Bible makes the whole religion a washout.  In my view, the Bible is not only corrupted by errors of copyists over the centuries.  It's corrupted from the get-go as the biblical writers made up stuff, falsified, did "pious forgeries," invented theological musings dressed up as historical events, reworked Bronze Age tribal legends into purported history, etc. etc. 

And it is also edited and reinterpreted on the fly by these assholes in charge of the belief to be refitted and reworded when all these dates pass and nothing happens.

Like the missing chapters dealing with Jesus' youth.....

• 2 weeks later...
Acorn, I don't know you but I feel I must share with you that God has just told me to direct you to give up smoking. His grace is sufficient unto you. Your body is a temple for His Spirit. Take the money you save from the cigarettes and buy food for the homeless. Give portions to seven, yes to eight, for you do not know what disaster may come upon the land.

Eccles.

Did God give you a word for me?