Goodbye Jesus

The Atheist Minister

TheSecretAtheist

lunaticheathen: I do miss NOLA quite a bit, I haven't been there since January of 2005. One day I'll have money and will be able to travel back there!

Jeremy: It is hard, but I'm also used to staying quiet about my true beliefs since I was questioning things deeply even in high school when I lived on the campus of the Baptist Seminary in New Orleans and have worked in churches off and on since college. The only difference now is that I have admitted to myself that I really don't believe. The hardest part is this feeling that I should be free now yet I'm still tied to Christianity by my job and whenever I visit my parents.

Admitting it to myself was an amazing step, though, and I've been able to read atheist literature without feeling guilty about it since then. It is amazing reading these books and websites and already agreeing with what they say!

... Admitting it to myself was an amazing step, though, and I've been able to read atheist literature without feeling guilty about it since then. It is amazing reading these books and websites and already agreeing with what they say!

Just curious, are you familiar with Dan Barker, author of Losing Faith in Faith and Godless? He started out like you, with a musical ministry. Now, he and his wife head the Freedom from Religion Foundation.

http://www.ffrf.org/about/getting-acquainted/dan-barker/

P.S. Welcome!

... Admitting it to myself was an amazing step, though, and I've been able to read atheist literature without feeling guilty about it since then. It is amazing reading these books and websites and already agreeing with what they say!

Just curious, are you familiar with Dan Barker, author of Losing Faith in Faith and Godless? He started out like you, with a musical ministry. Now, he and his wife head the Freedom from Religion Foundation.

http://www.ffrf.org/...ted/dan-barker/

P.S. Welcome!

I'm currently reading "Godless" and his situation is very much like mine. Thankfully I wasn't brought up in a charismatic tradition, those folks are a special kind of crazy.

...and I've been able to read atheist literature without feeling guilty about it since then. It is amazing reading these books and websites and already agreeing with what they say!

I felt really guilty the first few times I read atheist books. The first time, I was in a book store and came across Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris. I looked around to make sure I didn't know anyone near me. Then I grabbed the book and read it through on the spot. The second time, I was in an airport with a two hour layover, so I bought The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I was nervous that I would see someone in knew, but at the same time I was thrilled to be able to read the book. Not long after that I just came out and told everyone; then I was free to read whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. It was wonderful.

• Like 1

I've been on a trip this weekend to Florida for a friend's wedding. Me and four other friends rented a van and drove down. One of the two couples is evangelical and my friend Jack is pretty outspoken about things, so religion (and politics) comes up a lot with him. He used to think I was of the same viewpoint as him on these things but over the past few months he has realized that I may not see everything the way he does, but he still thinks that I'm an evangelical Christian.

I brought "Godless" by Barker with me on this trip and have been secretly reading it (I'm riding in the back seat) while we travel. I'm not sure what he'd think if he knew. Of course, one of the people I'm traveling with is a Deist more than anything else, so she understands me and reads my blog. It's actually quite fun to read it in secret in plain view. :D (Jack is someone who I know will not shun me when I come out publicly, but he will probably try hard to reconvert me. He is a very competitive person so he'll probably take it as a challenge or something.)

In other news: Spending a weekend in a beachfront hotel is one of the most relaxing things in the world!

I've been on a trip this weekend to Florida for a friend's wedding. Me and four other friends rented a van and drove down. One of the two couples is evangelical and my friend Jack is pretty outspoken about things, so religion (and politics) comes up a lot with him. He used to think I was of the same viewpoint as him on these things but over the past few months he has realized that I may not see everything the way he does, but he still thinks that I'm an evangelical Christian.

I brought "Godless" by Barker with me on this trip and have been secretly reading it (I'm riding in the back seat) while we travel. I'm not sure what he'd think if he knew. Of course, one of the people I'm traveling with is a Deist more than anything else, so she understands me and reads my blog. It's actually quite fun to read it in secret in plain view. :D (Jack is someone who I know will not shun me when I come out publicly, but he will probably try hard to reconvert me. He is a very competitive person so he'll probably take it as a challenge or something.)

In other news: Spending a weekend in a beachfront hotel is one of the most relaxing things in the world!

Glad yuo enjoyed your stay at the beach. Love Dan Barker.

• 1 month later...

Wow, What a typical case of losing faith! It's so clear and frank. I love this story!

So weird to me that this could be considered a "typical" case since just a few months ago I felt like I was the only one who had gone through this. Now I know better!

Wow, you hit the nail on the head with having dual vision. I had that from my teen years on, just didn't know the words for it xD. Welcome! I'm new here as well, this community is very important for us not to feel.alone. You are so brave, it must be hard working amidst visit!

*bullshit. XD stupid phone

haha, damnyouautocorrect.com

And thanks for the comment!

Just to keep everyone updated: Friday I had an interview with Allstate about an auto claims adjuster position and should be hearing back from them either by the end of this week or the middle of the next week! Maybe I'll be out of this situation soon and can be more open about who I am! (Still will have to figure out how to tell my parents and family, but one step at a time, eh?)

That's awesome! Hope you get it! I don't know how you've survived this far. XD

Good luck with your parents! Take your time with that, tell them when you're ready.

Interesting story. Hope you get the job and it all works out for you!

• 2 weeks later...
If you complete seminary and still believe in god, then you weren't paying attention

haha So can anyone who went to bible school name any specifics that made them doubt the bible or christianity? I grew up in the church for over 25 years though never went to any formal bible training.

Oh man. I hope you get that job Secret!

haha, damnyouautocorrect.com

And thanks for the comment!

Just to keep everyone updated: Friday I had an interview with Allstate about an auto claims adjuster position and should be hearing back from them either by the end of this week or the middle of the next week! Maybe I'll be out of this situation soon and can be more open about who I am! (Still will have to figure out how to tell my parents and family, but one step at a time, eh?)

Hey, Secret. I am rooting for you. Any hint that you'll be getting the job you wanted? I am wondering how you are doing.

So can anyone who went to bible school name any specifics that made them doubt the bible or christianity?

no response huh...

So can anyone who went to bible school name any specifics that made them doubt the bible or christianity?

no response huh...

Goodness, haven't you perused the other postings throughout the website, or the many links on the main page to sites that are replete with examples? For myself, it was the complete lack of hell or damnation in the Old Testament. The Jews didn't have a concept of damnation or really even eternal life for quite a long time. Even today any punishment after death is considered temporary and used to purge ungodliness. Thus, how could Christianity be the fulfillment of the Jewish religion? The concept was taken from other non-Jewish religions of the day.

Then there are the failed promises such as John 14:12-14, or John 15:7.

The cruel and abusive nature of the god of the Bible, compared with the statement that "God is love".

Genocide: Deuteronomy 2:34, 3:3-7, 20:16-17

Genocide and rape: Judges 21:10-24

But rather than change the direction of this thread, perhaps create a new one or simply spend some time reading the many posts or links that already detail the Bible issues that led many of us towards de-conversion.

no response huh...

Most of us didn't go to seminary. ;)

no response huh...

Discern - I think you should start a new thread in a more appropriate forum like General Theological Issues". This one is for testimonials. And I don't want to wander away from The Atheist Minister on this thread. Peace and reason to you.

But rather than change the direction of this thread, perhaps create a new one or simply spend some time reading the many posts or links that already detail the Bible issues that led many of us towards de-conversion.

Thanks for your reply Fuego.

At least you have the courage to admit that and have found comfort with others who have the same scenario. I actually became a christian because my friend introduced me. When she found out I was baptized, we started doing bible study together. Her husband was a new preacher, a few years and they councelled me when my husband was beating me up. Then one day, her preacher husband comes to my door at 9am. He said he was hot for me and now that my husband is in jail if he could be with me and raise my kids instead of his...OMG. After I picked my jaw off the floor I told him Im not interested. Then his bitch wife who was my friend and introduced me to Jesus said its all my fault that I use to FLAUNT myself around him. Yeah thats it, me and my sweats and my bruised up face with cuts are so attractive to men you dumb bitch. Thats when I started wondering what Id gotten myself into with christianity. Anyhow, she said I was the homewrecker and that I need to stay away from them and I will watch God bless them and she reccomended me crawling into church on my belly. By this point I had contacted the church and they all thought she was psycho. After that she started calling Child Welfare and making up stories to try and have my kids taken away. What a great example for a new believer from a preacher and his wife!! So I assumed she was a perfect Christian after that until she was seen at the bar drinking not too long ago.