Goodbye Jesus

Your Thoughts On Advice I've Received

rickdean

Hello All -

I recently commenced a research project on deconversions. One of the items in the questionnaire I prepared asked for advice one would give to help others who were struggling with their doubts or examining their faith. There was a response that caused me to pause and I'd like your thoughts on it. The respondent basically stated that "if your sole means of a social support network depends on your religious beliefs don't examine them too closely because they will easily fall apart".

Now I would never tell someone to set reason aside but it did strike me that there are many out there who live in those type of situations. A scenario which immediately springs to mind would be a single parent who is struggling to make ends meet and has a strong support network from their church. An atheistic belief, were it to be known, would undermine the assistance they are receiving during a tough time.

What do you think about this advice?

Thanks!

Rick

I think most people will follow that advice instinctively.

• Like 1

Many Christians avoid examining their bible, history of the church, and the like, probably because they already know they won't like the answers and revelations they may find from doing so. Still, better to ditch an evil faith and the social network that propagates the mind virus than continue on in it in my opinion.

Hello All -

I recently commenced a research project on deconversions. One of the items in the questionnaire I prepared asked for advice one would give to help others who were struggling with their doubts or examining their faith. There was a response that caused me to pause and I'd like your thoughts on it. The respondent basically stated that "if your sole means of a social support network depends on your religious beliefs don't examine them too closely because they will easily fall apart".

Now I would never tell someone to set reason aside but it did strike me that there are many out there who live in those type of situations. A scenario which immediately springs to mind would be a single parent who is struggling to make ends meet and has a strong support network from their church. An atheistic belief, were it to be known, would undermine the assistance they are receiving during a tough time.

Thanks!

Rick

Hey was this your survey?

http://teologye.com/questionnaire

Cause I took it.....or did you do something similar? :)

• Super Moderator
"if your sole means of a social support network depends on your religious beliefs don't examine them too closely because they will easily fall apart".

As I've stated before, we leave our college friends and move on. We get jobs in a new city or even a different country and we deal with the change. How is leaving a church any different regarding the social aspect? IMO, it's a lame excuse to deliberately engage in cognitive dissonance and deny one's ability to think rationally. If we don't remain honest and true to ourselves, what's the point anyway?

Hello All -

Thanks!

Rick

That's the one. Thanks for taking the time to do so!

Rick

"if your sole means of a social support network depends on your religious beliefs don't examine them too closely because they will easily fall apart".

As I've stated before, we leave our college friends and move on. We get jobs in a new city or even a different country and we deal with the change. How is leaving a church any different regarding the social aspect? IMO, it's a lame excuse to deliberately engage in cognitive dissonance and deny one's ability to think rationally. If we don't remain honest and true to ourselves, what's the point anyway?

I agree. Thank you for the input.

Hello All -

Thanks!

Rick

Rick

Cool! I sent you an email after I took it to direct you here, did you ever get that?...So are you an ex-christian too, or just interested in the experience. Finish the report yet?

Hello All -

Thanks!

Rick

Rick

Cool! I sent you an email after I took it to direct you here, did you ever get that?...So are you an ex-christian too, or just interested in the experience. Finish the report yet?

I sure did. I registered soon after getting your email. And yes - I am an ex-christian also. For about a year now. I haven't finished the report (actually will be a book). I'm just now sorting through all of the data received. The response was overwhelming. much more respondents than I anticipated which is great.

Many Christians avoid examining their bible, history of the church, and the like, probably because they already know they won't like the answers and revelations they may find from doing so.

Some, perhaps. I think that the reason that most of them don't examine it closely is because they are simply too lazy and/or disinterested, just assume that other christians have thoroughly investigated and found satisfactory answers, and have blind faith that gawd has everything in control.

Rick

Thanks for posting! I just took the survey too.

I said something similar recently in another thread on this board, though I stated it more as a warning than sincere advice. But you're right, there are certain situations where it may very well be in one's best interest to just go along with it for the social support.

I do know this: I went through hell while I was coming to grips with not being able to believe anymore, and I don't wish that experience on anyone. On the other hand, I subsequently have had a great sense of relief from being rid of superstitious nonsense and being able to look at things rationally instead of having to try to force everything to fit preconceived religious ideologies, and I would like for others bound by religion to be able to experience such freedom.

I would say that the actual scenarios where losing that social network would directly affect someone's ability to support themselves are so slim that I wouldn't bother including that advice. Beyond that, I agree completely with Florduh - change is a part of life, and this is just another one of those times, just maybe not one we were expecting.