Goodbye Jesus

The Survival Instinct

Moxie

I just realised how the christian meme works.

Basically, christians, as well as most other humans, experience fear of the unknown. So they make up stories to cloud all the unknown possibilities. Then, when their assertions are challenged and proven false, they rehash the story, sometimes with different characters, a different scene, plot, etc. because they have to keep the meme going to appease the survival instinct. It's a misapplication of the survival instinct.

It's the human version of a computer virus. Infects the host, compels them to spread the code, mutates as the years go by...

Basically, christians, as well as most other humans, experience fear of the unknown. So they make up stories to cloud all the unknown possibilities. Then, when their assertions are challenged and proven false, they rehash the story, sometimes with different characters, a different scene, plot, etc. because they have to keep the meme going to appease the survival instinct. It's a misapplication of the survival instinct.

Ilovemybrain shared a great article with me about this one time. You are right on the money here. THe article was talking about the neurology of belief. When you speak a against a person's beliefs a survival instinct takes over. This is why people who love us and have always been good to us can come unglued and scream "I LOVE GOD MORE THAN YOU".....this knowledge helped me to be calm when my husband lost his shit last week.

He is not in control of his own brain.

Foolish, I read that post and was thinking about the same article! I'll go see if I can find it...

This hits the nail right on the head. It is about a survival instinct. Why Bad Beliefs Don't Die

perfect.

• Super Moderator

I think when we evolved to the point we became aware of our own mortality, the door to magic and superstition opened as a way to cope with the reality of our eventual demise. The "magical belief gene" became a dominant trait of humanity.

If we can believe we exist eternally apart from our temporary bodies we can relax a little. The rational mind doesn't allow such thoughts, but an evolutionary coping device can override that when necessary. Once a belief in a soul or spirit is established, religions expounding on that theme abound.

I think survival instinct has a whole lot to do with it, but I think there is more to it than survival instinct.

I think survival instinct has a whole lot to do with it, but I think there is more to it than survival instinct.

Such as?

This is really interesting and it might compel me to buy a book or two on the subject.

Such as?

Off the top of my head, meme's use pride. Survival instinct may explain why many are hesitant to change their beliefs, but do not explain directly how all such beliefs came to be. It doesn't, by itself, adequately explain why those infected with a meme feel the need to force their beliefs of others. The selective pressures effecting the evolution of memes are not always directly tied to the hosts survival instinct. It may all boil down to survival instinct, but the way meme's work is more complex.

Attacking the meme could also be attacking the social cohesion of the group, the authority of tribal leaders, etc. I'm no anthropologist but I'd venture to say that social legitimacy in those days was wrapped up in the spiritual order. I guess that would as well have to do with group survival, in a roundabout way, though I don't think it can be reduced wholly to survival.

This makes a lot of sense.

But you have to consider the deep emotional aspect as well, which isn't necessarily connected with the "survival" emotions of anger and fear. There is a lot of love and joy involved (and the flip sides from time to time...)

This hits the nail right on the head. It is about a survival instinct. Why Bad Beliefs Don't Die

Thanks for the article! Very interesting! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Babylonian Dream

The best antivirus for memes is constant questioning and logic to answer the questioning. Though it may prove uneffective for those who just can't think logical.