Goodbye Jesus

Is It A Waste Of Time Debating With Fundie Christians?

Realist

Speaking from my own personal experience as an ex-fundie, arguing with them will not change their minds. The best way to get through to them (or anyone, for that matter) is to carefully and humbly present your position along with your evidence from a non-attacking point of view. Unfortunately, a cordial debate might devolve into meaningless banter after not too long, but at this point there is nothing more you can do.

It took a long time for me to realize that many of my beliefs were rubbish, but I had to make the decision to be openminded myself...no one forced it on me. It was only after that point that I was open to other points of view and honest discussions were able to take place with people I disagreed with. It also helps to be willing to laugh at yourself just as much as you laugh at them.

Yes it is nearly pointless to debate a fundie. Even when you find yourself on the winning side, their response will be something like "You don't have the Holy Spirit, so you cannot understand what I am talking about". Is "the holy spirit" what prevents them from committing "thought crimes"? LOL

Yes it is nearly pointless to debate a fundie. Even when you find yourself on the winning side, their response will be something like "You don't have the Holy Spirit, so you cannot understand what I am talking about". Is "the holy spirit" what prevents them from committing "thought crimes"? LOL

I spent quite a lot of time debating rabid Christians at a site called CARM, and have been banned for life allegedly for baasphemy due to a post where I contended that God created the devil for his own purposes of punishing non believers. I happen to think that this is a reasonable conclusion to draw if one believes in a real devil and hell, and that God is omnipotent. Prior to this, I was suspended a few times, and one person there really wanted me out, and succeeded. What happened is demostrative of what a real fundie is. I happen to think they are very dangerous to humans, and the primary reason I was there to debate them. Unlike some others, I don't think Christianity is innocuous and harmless. I think it's very detrimental to society. I don't really enjoy preaching to the chiour, and would much rather debate with those who are entrenched in their beliefs. 99.99% of the time it is worthless. But, there are those rare times where a fundie sees the light. There were two there that did, one of which used to be a serious fundie, and came to realize the errors of her ways. She said this happened gradually after seeing how mean her fellow Christians could be, and that they believed for the sake of believing.

Not all fundies fit into the category of wild eyed lunatics pounding a bible on the table. One over there is somewhat rational and has his won website and is writing a book. His contentions are based on half truths and fact twisting along with saying that certain studies "prove" things, whereas when you look at the data he submits, the studies show nothing of the sort of what he says it does. He is a very good debator, and at least on the surface, intelligent and extremely well read in religion. While the rabid fundies are dangerous, I think people such as he, along with those that write books promoting Christianity, are the most dangerous of all. This is because they aren't seen as loonies. They are seen as people in authority because they are so well read and well spoken. Many fundies never research outside the bible, and much of what they believe is because of parental and communal teachings.

To make a long story short, it is usually a waste of time, but not always. However, I think former Christians and non believers have a duty to fight against the nonsense and dangers of religion. I think we owe it to the rest of humanity so that we humans can evolve past the myths, superstitions and ignorance that is religion. It has been the source of wars and mental anguish for far too long now. Left unchallenged, they would take over the world. Picture the US living in a Taliban like society but ruled by popes and bishops like the Middle Ages. We can't let their half truths and lies win out. We can't let them use the word "God" and Christianity as if they were one and the same (I am a deist). I look for that .001 person because he or she will join forces against them, whereas before he or she was pulling more and more people inside their web of deceit.

Guest I Love Dog

To make a long story short, it is usually a waste of time, but not always. However, I think former Christians and non believers have a duty to fight against the nonsense and dangers of religion. I think we owe it to the rest of humanity so that we humans can evolve past the myths, superstitions and ignorance that is religion. It has been the source of wars and mental anguish for far too long now. Left unchallenged, they would take over the world. Picture the US living in a Taliban like society but ruled by popes and bishops like the Middle Ages. We can't let their half truths and lies win out. We can't let them use the word "God" and Christianity as if they were one and the same (I am a deist). I look for that .001 person because he or she will join forces against them, whereas before he or she was pulling more and more people inside their web of deceit.

This is a good response and a good way of looking at the issue. I don't usually bother debating with fundies or even moderate Christians. I will comment on their posts, but have found in the past that debate is usually futile and I'm not enough of an expert on debating or Christianity.

Perhaps I'll take myself off to CARM and have a look around!

Thanks, Paradox!