Goodbye Jesus

Achjan

Phanta

Every few months I attend a tiny local sangha that follows the teachings of Zen monk Thich Nhat Hanh (from a distance, of course). I visited for the first time in months a couple of weeks ago and, lo, there was a Laotian monk there, from the Theraveda school...I believe the forest tradition (I am still learning). We have never had a monk before, and he has a temple nearby, in the country. He came here to learn English, for two years now, and takes ESL classes at a local University. In his own country, he is a meditation teacher to other monks, lay-people, and in prisons. He often lives in caves and lives off of plants and berries, like the birds. Here, he has an SUV and cell phone!

He is in a class here, but finds it hard to ask questions with so many students. I offered to do some work with him, as I have some training in this area. He was very excited about the possibility, and so we arranged to meet today and do a lesson. We ate a lunch and visited places in my community. I introduced him to many people. It was quite fantastic. :)

He has already tried to shower me with many gifts (mostly food), which feels awkward. He has also offered to teach me meditation or about Buddhism. He says he is very grateful to have the opportunity for one-on-one teaching, but I daresay I feel grateful for the opportunity for this exchange as well!

He told me to call him "Ajahn". But I think he means "Achjan", which means teacher in Laos.

Pretty neat!

Phanta

That's way cool, Phanta. I'm happy for you. I always appreciate the opportunity to make meaningful contributions to others; especially when they validate that it's meaningful to them by being appreciative. I would consider taking at least some of his offered gifts as a way of acknowledging that fact. It will probably make him feel like he's expressing appropriate gratitude. I know what you mean, though, it can be a little overwhelming if they overdo that part.

I agree with DesertBob. I think that's pretty kick ass Phanta. :woohoo:

I would constantly be trying to make him laugh.

I think that is a great opportunity Phanta. Learn all you can, and teach as well.

That's totally awesome Phanta. I'd love an opportunity like that. Keep us updated, please!

I will keep you updated, Luna.

Bob, I did finally let him buy me a grapefruit at the grocers, which we shared. I was realizing his need to give to me in return, and that it was important to accept something. He is an older man I barely know, so the offer of rides to a distant temple or to go shopping or purchasing me a mug felt...uncomfortable. But then, maybe offering someone I just met English lessons is a "bit much" and I could lighten up a bit. I think we are going to settle on him paying for meals during sessions. He is good at understanding lay-people talk, but has trouble following the dharma talk, which is, ultimately, what he wishes to be able to teach to English-speakers! So, in the process of teaching him the Buddhist lexicon, I expect to learn a lot about his culture and spiritual practice and tradition.

We ran into very dear friends who are recently back from a couple years in Japan. They invited me, and then Achjan, to Thanksgiving. In two years here, no one has invited the man to Thanksgiving, so it will be his first! Their 4-year-old thought he was Japanese and tried to speak Japanese to him. We thought that was very funny. The family is into world travel, so this is a good match.

Thanks, everyone, for the interest and encouragement! I think this is going to be much fun.

Phanta

Ajahn is a title that means the same as reverend or venerable (I've most commonly seen it in use by the Thai forest traditions).

Enjoy the opportunity. Has it been fun so far?

Yes, very much so. Thanks for asking!

Phanta

Being in the position to teach your "student" is a rare and wonderful opportuinty. Warmest wishes to you and Ajahn. :thanks: