Goodbye Jesus

Pondering Joining An "official" Religion

lunaticheathen

So, I'm a very spiritual, some might say religious, person. I almost feel I'm one of the most-inclined that way here. But this is no "spiritual pissing contest" and I have no wish to evaluate that. But I am curious as to my thoughts lately on actually joining a faith again.

I've called myself a lot of things to do with religion and beliefs over the years, but I've never joined a coven, ounfu, circle, grove, temple, society, etc. in an official capacity. I've never even given it much thought, since I always seemed the odd one out, having my own thoughts, and feeling drawn by something new each week. I even failed to keep solely to Celtic paganism on my own, suddenly using Shiva as the God on my altar to Cerridwen the Goddess. I'm weird like that.

But for a few years, I've been intrigued by Kemetic Orthodoxy. Now, the word "Orthodoxy" still gives me pause, but I remain very interested. It is a reconstruction of Egyptian state religion, as well as cultural personal worship of ones own netjer, or god/dess. I've always been interested n Egyptian religion and culture since I could read, and my first tattoo was of Ma'at's feather. A lovely statue of Ma'at graces my altar to this day. I also have an affinity for Hathor. I love the stories, everything I read about Egyptian culture, and want to visit there someday.

A few years back, I discovered the House of Netjer, a temple dedicated to Kemetic Orthodoxy, led by a modern day Nisut (read religious position of Pharaoh), Hekatawy I (or Tamara Siuda). I felt an instant pull, then a recoil - who the hell is this person to call herself immortal leader of a faith that must be reconstructed to be followed at all?

Then I read letters posted on the website. I read about the Temple, about the "nation" of people their rebuilding. Didn't feel dogmatic. One can still follow previous faiths (at a certain level of initiation, one is asked to put their netjer and the people of Kemet first, but that's all). It didn't seem so scary. But I was in college, and the idea of correspondence classes when I was working day and night on school was just out of the question.

But, recently, the idea is tickling me again. Just taking the classes doesn't even bind me to any oaths, even if I decide to be named as a remetj (citizen of Kemet). Higher devotional titles carry more responsibility, but I get the feeling those are not entirely by my say-so.

Kemet.org has lots of info on this, as does netjer.org. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be joining the forums on the latter, and poke around before I decide.

So, what say you, good people of ex-christian.net? Am I crazy?

well of course you are crazy, but that is neither here nor there.

if you dig it, give it a shot. if you don't like it, you don't have to stick with it.

www.kemet.org is an interesting website. I perused it for awhile.

My thoughts on the subject of getting involved in an organized religion is to be careful that the organization or leader doesn't become the main point. It seems to me that the main point should be exploring one's spirituality. I can definitely see how being with a group of people can help someone explore their spirituality through shared experiences. But all too often with organized religions, personalities, dogma, and growth of the group itself take over and squash the kernel of spirituality and breed conformity.

Don't do anything that will make you lose that really cool uniqueness that is so obviously you (which I and many others really like). If, by joining an organized religion, you can remain the person you are, then go for it. But the minute you feel YOU slipping away, then get out of there.

Yeah, go for it. If you don't like it, dump it. Just be true to you.

I was recently surprised by an Egyptian deity showing up in a guided meditation. I've always leaned towards Celtic imagry, so to suddenly have Sekhmet show up was very interesting. I didn't even know who it was until someone was able to tell me. But I feel no compulsion to worship, other than to acknowledge an aspect of deity and to appreciate what I was being shown.

I've had a couple of folks invite me to Hindu based gigs with their guru, and that just doesn't appeal to me at all. Feels too much like church, with someone in "authority" looking for deference and offerings. Even a witch circle I went to was a bit too contrived for my taste (though the people were really sweet and accepting). I look for things that resonate with me, that make me happy, that draw me towards being a better person. But typically, I do it on my own.

• Like 1

I was recently surprised by an Egyptian deity showing up in a guided meditation. I've always leaned towards Celtic imagry, so to suddenly have Sekhmet show up was very interesting. I didn't even know who it was until someone was able to tell me. But I feel no compulsion to worship, other than to acknowledge an aspect of deity and to appreciate what I was being shown.

How did she appear and what was her message to you? I am genuinely curious.

I've had a couple of folks invite me to Hindu based gigs with their guru, and that just doesn't appeal to me at all. Feels too much like church, with someone in "authority" looking for deference and offerings. Even a witch circle I went to was a bit too contrived for my taste (though the people were really sweet and accepting). I look for things that resonate with me, that make me happy, that draw me towards being a better person. But typically, I do it on my own.

Yes, the guru disciple relationship. That is definitely the biggest hurdle for me in Tibetan Buddhism. Really bothers me the way they hover around the lama and fawn over him like a bunch of sycophants. At least in the tradition it does acknowledge that you may need years to investigate a teacher thoroughly before committing yourself.

It has not bothered me enough to leave -- yet.

Lunaticheathen, it all sounds fascinating. I don't see any harm in investigating it and learning about it.

I don’t think you are crazy. You obviously enjoy immersing yourself in spiritual things. I am exactly the opposite. I have zero interest in religion of any type. It bores me to tears and I do not plan to waste one more minute of my life studying or devoting myself to any of it. You would think after spending my entire life going to church two or three times a week that I would miss it a little bit but all I feel is relief that I don’t have to go. Perhaps I’m the crazy one? :shrug:

I say do whatever makes you happy as long as you are doing it for you and no one else.

If it tickles your fancy, then go ahead and try it out :)

Guest ephymeris

I also agree you should try it out if you feel its right for you! Just keep your eyes open for any cultish requirements or behaviors by the sect (don't want to see you sucked into to something unhealthy!) It sounds interesting and I'd like to hear about your experiences if you decide to go forward. :)

I've myself just joined the Antediluvian Splenetic Standpatters (The ASSes). I'll report back.

I've myself just joined the Antediluvian Splenetic Standpatters (The ASSes). I'll report back.

I thought you and florduh founded that organization! :)

I had a similar experience when I started reading about Italian witchcraft a year or so ago. The pulling feeling I mean. If I found a group to teach me and initiate me I would definitely go for it. I love your spirit! And like everyone else said, if it turns out its not for you you can leave it behind.

We did, but they never assked us back!

We did, but they never assked us back!

:yelrotflmao: Their loss! :moon:

Guest I Love Dog

So, what say you, good people of ex-christian.net? Am I crazy?

I wouldn't say you're crazy, at all, but I often wonder why people feel the need for any sort of religion or spiritual belief.

Whatever floats your boat or gets you through life as a strong independent person without the need to hurt others and with the ability to help others is really what's important. I truly hope you find what you are searching for.

How did she appear and what was her message to you? I am genuinely curious.

There were no words. I was at a Mind, Body, Spirit Expo locally. The lady leading the meditation had us imagining going into a room, led by the guide, then to open a box on a table and see what is in it (loaded with new books, hopefully that I will write), and then she said to turn and look at the guide. She was a classic Egyptian female in white garb, but with a lion face, pushing the box toward me. That was it. About 20 minutes later I was out and walking through the vendors at the Expo. I walked by a table and there was a statue of the one I had just seen, and not knowing anything about her I quizzed them about it. Sekhmet is apparently a vicious defender of the Pharaohs, and a hit-god of the higher deities, rather like an Egyptian Kali. A strong protector.

Thanks for all the well-wishes. Apparently, I just missed signing up for this round of beginners classes, so I have four months to poke around their boards and see what I see. But by all accounts, the classes are free, and hold no obligation to convert after. So I could take the courses and leave, if I wish.

I'm still very interested, and even missing this block of classes, I've started answering the application questions for myself, in longhand. I figure it's a decent enough exercise to see my own motivations clearer on why exactly I feel so damn interested.

Everyone on the Netjer boards is very nice, and suffering my endless questions very well. I've also talked with several Shemsu (converts to KO) who also still practice Vodou! One said she was very happy to have both the loa and the netjer in her life. I did read before that joining Kemetic Orthodoxy did not require one to leave previous personal religious practices behind, even as a Shemsu-Ankh (basically a lay-priest(ess), I think), but seeing it in action made me feel better.

Anyway, updates as they arrive!

Guest Babylonian Dream

Give it a shot, dive deep into it like I did. I dove deep deep into ancient egyptian and mesopotamian theologies. You'll find that the Egyptian gods in their texts tend to be alot like the Bible's Yahweh. Though I wish you luck. At least that's what I found.

Lunaticheathen

I learned early on in my “pilgrimage” that the best way to avoid an “eternal pissing contest” over religion or policies was to adopt an approach of inquire that needs no ones approval or acceptance but my own. Thoroughgoing eclecticism is a method of inquire that has allowed me to grant myself the permission necessary to ease my spiritual desperation. My “journey” has become a living field trip with life.

AND

When it's over, I want to say: all my life

I was a bride married to amazement.

I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.

When it is over, I don't want to wonder

if I have made of my life something particular, and real.

I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,

or full of argument.

from When Death Comes by Marry Oliver

Please don't let all the "pissing" stop you from posting

saner

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I was seemingly "booted" out of this forum after my computer died, and played hell getting back in, but I finally got it to work!

But I think I've figured a couple of things out. And being away from here, I think, helped.

I want to take the beginners classes with the HoN. I'm interested enough, they're free, and there is no obligations or oaths in them.

Besides, I've already set up a Netjer shrine, because I felt the need to - and I had a jarring experience with it. Maybe I'll write about it later.

I feel welcomed by the (online) community of Kemetic Orthodoxy, and while I know that's no real augury for how "good" or "true" a religion is, it helps, especially after being around Southern Baptists.

Many people in that community practice other spiritual traditions/religions besides KO. Even the Nisut is also a Mambo in Haitian Vodou, which I already hold to. It just all seems like a great fit for me at this point. If I walk away later, so be it. But I'm going ahead with this one, crazy or not.

Never fucking mind. I'm stupid. I'll go pour bleach in my ears to get the divinity/magic/otherness out, and be what this website is all about, atheism.

Never fucking mind. I'm stupid. I'll go pour bleach in my ears to get the divinity/magic/otherness out, and be what this website is all about, atheism.

I don't think you are stupid and I hope you continue to explore Kemetic Orthodoxy. But you might be right about this website.

• Like 1