Goodbye Jesus

Remember These?

JadedAtheist

Oh man.... I haven't seen these for quite awhile... I remember reading them as a younger child and having the shit scared out of me! Many of them remind me of the propaganda cartoons from WWII. These tracts are filled with some of the most offensive, hateful, racist, sexist and disgusting propaganda I've ever seen. After reading these as a young child and after all of the harm they did I wouldn't want any young person to have to read these. Christian parents would be better off burning these tracts than Harry Potter books...

I laughed until I cried. I remember reading these as a kid. They didn't scare me -- even I couldn't take them that seriously -- but their world-view definitely influenced me. Thanks for sharing.

Haha, check out "Big Daddy"...

I got an anti-halloween one from a lady on my block one year. We never went to her house again.

The christian forum for teens I was on had people using them as "proof" in debates and discussions.

Even back in my (lukewarm German mainstream) christian days I would've found those deeply offensive, far more well-suited to mock and agitate against the cult than promote it in any way.

Alas, they are all but unknown over here, except (I guess) in morontheist covens. :fdevil:

Remember reading these Chick tracts in the early 70s. They were completely in line with what the Baptist church was teaching and I enjoyed reading them at the time. I remember seeing a picture of people in chains falling through the flames in hell. I am not sure if prior to this I pictured in my mind that people fell through the air, like falling down a bottomless pit.

The church was centered on apocalyptic teachings - the rapture, the tribulation, etc. Almost weekly we were told Jesus was coming soon. Now I look back on this and see why it was not a complete mystery that at age 18 I had absolutely no idea what to do for a career.

The Chick tracts seem to have been mostly about judgment and hell unless you made a decision for Christ. The stories used rather vivid real life type situations, interposed with complete fantasy.

This Chick trash is deeply offensive to me as an adult. It is centered on fear.