Goodbye Jesus

Do You Like Scary Movies?

Abmin9

Holy Crap!!! I'm just about done watching Jesus Camp. Forget Paranormal Activity, The Exorcist, and all that fake shit... Jesus Camp is as scary as it is sad. Sad because it revolves around children and how they're influenced by some of the worst I've seen. Who else has seen this? What was the scariest part for you?

If you haven't seen it, be forewarned... It's NOT for the light-hearted.

Seriously, what I LOVE about this documentary is the fact that it is not narrated by either side. It is simply a collection of scenes, experiences, footage, etc. of extreme evangelicalism. It speaks for itself.

****** SPOILER ALERT !!! ********

Ted Haggard is in this film! LMAO!!!!

I didn't see the film until well after the whole Haggard scandal. The bit with Harry Potter is the scariest for me, probably because I'm a Harry Potter fan and some folks at church didn't like that. Though it was not anywhere as extreme.

And then the wailing and the holy water... FFS it's a fucking book! It's not real! And it's far less violent, far less sexual, and far more SANE than the book you take everything out of! And did I mention IT'S FUCKING FICTION?!

I don't know if I can pick the scariest moment, but the most telling came right at the end when Becky is on that guy's radio show, and after seeing some of the footage, he's making the argument that she's brainwashing the kids because they're obviously too young to be making these kinds of choices, and somewhere in there she admits to it by saying something like, "I don't think these kids do anything that's really their choice." And this was after she spent the whole film telling the kids the exact opposite and holding them accountable for it. So I don't even agree with what the filmmakers said (in the audio commentary) that she was sincere in what she was doing. She knows exactly what she's really doing to them.

And she actually calls out children on being fat and lazy or whatever that was when she's the size of a blimp.

If you liked this (if liking is the word) check out Bill Maher's Religulous. Good mix of funny and bizarre.

I was totally ignorant about what went on inside many, many U.S. churches when I first saw this. It was shocking. I was sick about it. My stint hanging out in with conservative Christians involved tremendous austerity and self-control.

Phanta

I saw this a while back. I don't remember seeing anything quite this fucking nuts when I went to church, but it doesn't surprise me.

And xtians wonder why we make religion an issue. We really don't need our youth to grow to be politicians like GWB justifying their actions under the veil of Christianity.

I'm just glad that as a result of this documentary her camp was shut down. One down, FSM only knows how many more to go. I just wish someone would publicly out Bill Gothard.

What was the scariest part for you?

The fact that when I saw this a few years ago, I believed in most of its teachings.

:eek:

• Like 2

I saw this when it first was released to DVD and was patiently waiting for it to arrive in my mailbox from Netflix back in like 2006. At this point I had been deconverted for about 4 years, I was still at the point where I enjoyed getting on the soapbox and confronting Christians and proudly explaining to them why their religion was bullshit. The movie amazed me, the effect one person can have on the minds of so many people.. it's quite alarming. Luckily I was never the type to just go along with a leader of authority, hence I walked away from Christianity when I started turning into an adult at age 16. And the more alarming part is when she talks about emulating Islam and going after young minds. I realized Christianity and Islam aren't all that different, it's just Christian countries by this point don't take their religion nearly as seriously and are much more liberal. And thank Hades for that.

Guest ephymeris

I've been to camp/retreats/revivals like that and been to many services like the ones shown in the video. Every year before school the local churches would hold HUGE back to school revivals (in school auditoriums often) and as children we'd all cry, snot, prostrate ourselves, confess and recommit ourselves to jesus. I went to those and participated in those my whole young life even before I really considered myself a christian. I went to a camp in Glorietta, NM each year as a kid and adolescent and was subjected to it's indoctrination and brain washing.

After I committed my life (again but for the last time) and went on my 4-5 year bender of being "on fire" for jesus, I primarily went to a southern baptist church which professed similiar beliefs but also was involved in more charismatic groups/churches in our area. I saw enough "dancing in the spirit", tongues, and victory marches to make me wonder how I got out of those places with my sanity. I know I'm biased but I think deep southern churches have an especially potent form of "bat-shit crazy"!

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

The fact that when I saw this a few years ago, I believed in most of its teachings.

I just want to say that I am shameful about the same and want to share that with you.

Yeah, it's scary how I wouldn't have had any problem with it a few years ago...

The most horrible aspect to me is how they are systematically building up the guilt in these kids. They are called horrible sinners and all kind of names. You can tell some of them already have problems inside. I thought Rachel sounded disturbed. And my favourite is that blond boy, the only one who had the guts to somewhat question God (looking at the other faces when he said that he sometimes finds it hard to believe the Bible, you could tell they didn't like it). I hope he finds his way out of this nonsense.

I just want to say that I am shameful about the same and want to share that with you.

Ya, I agree. Honestly the movie was not shocking to me at all ugh.gif

• 1 month later...

I don't know if I can pick the scariest moment, but the most telling came right at the end when Becky is on that guy's radio show, and after seeing some of the footage, he's making the argument that she's brainwashing the kids because they're obviously too young to be making these kinds of choices, and somewhere in there she admits to it by saying something like, "I don't think these kids do anything that's really their choice." And this was after she spent the whole film telling the kids the exact opposite and holding them accountable for it. So I don't even agree with what the filmmakers said (in the audio commentary) that she was sincere in what she was doing. She knows exactly what she's really doing to them.

And she actually calls out children on being fat and lazy or whatever that was when she's the size of a blimp.

If you liked this (if liking is the word) check out Bill Maher's Religulous. Good mix of funny and bizarre.

Flockoff, it took me THIS long but I saw Religulous last night and LOVED it!! I just wanted it to keep going.

Thanks!

• Super Moderator

I love your "I am a Creationist" line. Never noticed it before - it's great and SO true!

I've only seen clips from it on youtube. Quite disturbing. I don't think I could watch the whole thing because I'd really be seething. It really pissed me off to see those kids being abused like that. Although I didn't quite have this, there was plenty similar in my upbringing. I remember sometimes, during weekly chapel (Thursday mornings, I remember), we'd have certain guest speakers. Some of them were like this and a lot of us would be crying. I remember, I'd never go up to the front, but I'd always be in my pew praying really hard, going through that experience. No matter how hard you tried, you always needed to recommit because you were a dirty sinner.

I also watched Religulous a few days ago. Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

Ya, I agree. Honestly the movie was not shocking to me at all ugh.gif

When I first saw the documentary as a believer, I thought the camp was doing a good thing in teaching the kids about the gospel, but while I was in the process of deconversion, I found the very same documentary to be utterly disgusting and morally repugnant for making the kids cry over Hell.

• Like 1

^^ I think I had heard about this when I was still a xian, and I remember at the time thinking that while it may be intense, there's nothing wrong with it. It's just the god-haters who want to continue their war against god and are picking on people doing a great service for christ. I think I even remember almost wishing I had something similar when I was a kid. I always saw people crying in church, and while I experienced a lot of emotions in church, I could never actually cry (except when I was a young kid at pentecostal church - the loud music was always scary and I would cry). I think I *wanted* to cry because then that would be like the "next level" of being closer to jesus.

Scary level of delusion. I hope these kids are able to heal, but I fear most of them never will. Nonetheless, if their parents sent them here, chances are they get plenty of indoctrination elsewhere, so I doubt this camp in and of itself will be the primary cause of their indoctrination and psychological scars.

I watched this a few months ago. Pretty freakin' scary. There wasn't really a scariest part for me. The whole movie was frightening and Becky had my blood boiling. You may be interested in watching the documentaries "For The Bible Tells Me So", "Fall from Grace" and "Deliver Us From Evil".