Goodbye Jesus

Christianity and the Sub culture

MQTA

Although I shopped at Christian bookstores and liked a few Christian bands, I really hated the subculture that you talk about. I was such a hypocrite. ;) How could anyone be a good Christian and NOT buy all those things? ;)

I have a friend who's mother is involved in the Dove awards. She is a successful Christian music journalist. Apparently, the Christian music industry is anything but Christian in how they do things. It is as slimy as the secular industry. It is all about money and power.

Most people who provide all these Christian thises and Christian thats are out to make money. This subculture doesn't exist in other countries so much because the Christian population is smaller. Corporations (even supposed Christian ones) know there is a large market in the US for Christian this and Christian that. Look at The Passion of the Christ. Bono is another good example, although he is an excellent musician and wonderful person by his own right. (I remember being encouraged to by U2 as a Christian if I wanted secular music since he was a Christian.)

It is obviously something Christians don't need to be a good Christian, but American Christians will tell you differently.

Yes, and as long as they stay there, fine. Apparently, the fundy starting

this thread apparently wants christianity to be in your face, constantly, 24/7,

so there's no chance of ever escaping it. Sort of like what Islam has done

to Saudi Arabia. No thanks.

Anybody see that episode of King of the Hill when Bobby got involved in the Christian Skateboarders thing??

I worked at a summer camp that is partly responsible for that episode.

The whole Christian Commercial Thing is for the lowest common denominator. It's filled with theological compromise. I was around a lot of Christians who knew more about Contemporary Christian Music than church history. They are really just sabotaging Christian doctrine in the name of Christ.

That is one thing I don't miss about being Christian. :)

Peace,

GiantBear

Anybody see that episode of King of the Hill when Bobby got involved in the Christian Skateboarders thing??

I worked at a summer camp that is partly responsible for that episode.

The whole Christian Commercial Thing is for the lowest common denominator. It's filled with theological compromise. I was around a lot of Christians who knew more about Contemporary Christian Music than church history. They are really just sabotaging Christian doctrine in the name of Christ.

That is one thing I don't miss about being Christian. :)

Peace,

GiantBear

I certainly don't miss contemporary christian music! :screams:

There's an interesting book called "The Christian Culture Survival Guide." It explores the whole silliness of it and the misadventures of the author (whose Chrisitian) survivng in it. PErsonally, I think he could've done more with the whole End of Times aspect of Christian Culture.

What sub-culture? I thought Christianity was the main culture, at least in the US.

Oh, you mean the crappy religious pop music? Blech. I haven't listened to it since I was a kid and Amy Grant still recorded Christian music.

I do like U2, but not because they are supposedly Christian.