Goodbye Jesus

Reincarnation And The Legal System

OpheliaGinger

I am not a believer in reincarnation, but I would like to pick the brains of those who do about a question that popped into my mind (sorry if it's already been covered). Could the American legal system, by imposing an X amount of life sentences, be contributing to the crime problem because, even after death, the person would be having to go back into jail life after life in order to fulfill the original sentence?

I doubt it. In most systems of reincarnation a judge in the U.S. courts has little jurisdiction. I personally believe that every life is a learning experience, and we will reincarnate after we have meditated on our lives and how to make the next one better.

Yes, SG brought up a good point - in future lives/karma, mortal laws have no jurisdiction. Besides, the one sentenced to those multiple life sentences is a specific person, and most peoples that hold to reincarnation believe that you actually have a personage that is unique to this life (Ka in Egyptian, Ti Bon Ange in Vodou, etc), and it's a "larger" part of the soul that passes on to other lives, or other realms. One can't hold the infinite to a finite being's crimes in a finite court.

No, I don't think the U.S. justice system would have any hold on the person. There is no such thing as that type of worldly justice continuing. Different influences and mental tendencies might result in the person going to prison in the next life but would also allow for change and spiritual growth. Karma cannot be mapped out.

Karma created will be bruned eventually.

If you say murder someone in this life and get sent to prison, then when you die, you will have a karmic tie to the person you murdered. In some future life this karma will be burned in a manner appeasing to both parties. You maybe murdered, or perhaps you end up saving the other person's life, though that could create additional karma.

In legal terms, the sentance is for the person John Smith born on somedate, who commited said crime. Once that person is dead they cease to exsist so there is nothing to hold them. Not to mention the burden of proof on the state to prove Jane Smith is the reincarnation of John Smith. Though that would be an interesting trial.