Goodbye Jesus

Native American Spirituality

Guest riverrunner

Guest riverrunner

so I was at work today and the Tribal government has no qualms about starting employee appreciation lunch with a prayer to the creator they call him grandfather. mother earth was also mentioned. it was kinda cool actually that there was no jesus stuff. I would like to know more from an intellectually curios standpoint since i work for them. they seem to all thank the creator all the time for everything.

Well, there are hundreds of tribes, and many more myths, where to start?

In general, yes, a Creator is central - and being thankful for all that is provided on Earth for them, as well as the Earth itself. They have no original sin, and most seem to think they never left paradise. All they need is here already.

What is sounds like your coworkers were talking about was "Wakan Tanka", the Great Spirit of all life. The term comes from the Lakota Sioux, but is generic enough for most Plains tribes.

I lived on the Navajo rez for a while - actually, occupied Grand Canyon. Basically what I got from it was that prayer doesn't happen in church. Prayer happens every second of every minute of every day. Kind of like the Buddhist's concept of being "awake", but totally integrated. I try to explain to my Christian friends and family how atrophied their spirituality is, but they just want to burn me at the stake and condemn me to hell....whatever.

• Like 1

I lived on the Navajo rez for a while - actually, occupied Grand Canyon. Basically what I got from it was that prayer doesn't happen in church. Prayer happens every second of every minute of every day. Kind of like the Buddhist's concept of being "awake", but totally integrated. I try to explain to my Christian friends and family how atrophied their spirituality is, but they just want to burn me at the stake and condemn me to hell....whatever.

Interesting explanation.

As there is Cherokee heritage in my family my mother and grandmother have taken on some Native American beliefs, but still worship their Christian god. However, the settlers, like any white Christians, shoved their beliefs down the throats of the Native people and had a lot of disrespect for their beliefs. For a long time Native American religious ceremonies were banned up until almost recently.