Goodbye Jesus

Definitions of Forum Abuse

Ouroboros

Definitions of Forum Abuse (version 1.2 - 10/16/2005)

I thought it was time to clarify and define certain personalities and behaviors that can be considered "abuse" of the forum.

Trolls

Definition

Trolls tend to argue only for the cause of starting a good fight. They use inflammatory statements and try to upset people, just for the entertainment of seeing the effect. Trolls usually are closed-minded to any replies that are made, and they might jump from the original topic to just flaming anyone who disagrees with them.

Most of the time, trolls try to stay anonymous and don't post pictures of themselves or give any information of who they are.

Occasionally members can also get into a trolling action, acting similar to a troll, but their motivation is not to just stir up emotions, but rather they just are just responding with anger or irritation against an opposing poster. This type of exchange doesn't really count as trolling per se, but is just an outburst by an upset member.

What to do

Put Trolls on ignore and report them to the moderators or admins. There's rarely a point in arguing with them.

More information

Spammer

Definition

A spammer is someone that does "excessive multiple posting" (EMP), i.e. repeated posting the same message, or a substantially similar message, either in the same topic or cross-posting the message in several topics. This can also be done over several different sites.

What to do

Report to moderators or admins.

More Information

Spoofer

Definition

A spoofer pretends to be someone else, or has multiple accounts that he or she alternates between.

Sometimes members do this for a comical effect and it is not malicious. A true spoofer is primarily someone who intentionally wants to hide their true identity in order to troll or display other disruptive behavior. Spoofing of any kind is generally not appreciated and posters who continue to spoof after being warned by a moderator may be banned from posting.

What to do

This behavior usually can't be confirmed by anyone but an admin, but members can sometimes notice things that hint to this, and can report the alleged spoofer to moderators or admins.

More Information

Quote mining/Information Pirating

Definition

Quote mining is when text from different sources are used excessively and the person is not adding any input or opinion of his own, while at the same time pretending the quote is something he or she made up.

There's nothing wrong with quoting sources, but it's extremely important to make a note that it is in fact a quote, and also include the reference from which the quote was taken, and preferably a link to a web page with the full article.

What to do

Point it out to the poster that quote mining is not appropriate, and that the correct behavior is to clearly credit the quote, and include the reference.

More information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quote_mining

Sniper, Post-n-run

Definition

A sniper or post-n-run starts one or more topics with questionable or inflamatory material, and then leaves to never return.

What to do

Not much to do.

New Rules that limits who can start topics on the site, should stop this behavior.

More Information (Hit-and-run military style)

(edited/additions by webmaster)

• 4 weeks later...

Your definitions of 'trolling' point out your bias. One person is seen as closed-minded when expressing their views while another non-troll displaying the same antics, behavior, choice of words and inflammatory remarks is expressing themselves. Then who is the judge of a troll vs a non-troll. Makes me move on to another forum. I want real dialogue going both ways. Not control by a webmaster who gets to determine my intent and my closed-mindedness simply base on whether mu views are acceptable to him/her or not.

I guess that would be a "sniper", right? :mellow:

Almost? :Doh:

Maybe just a little? :close:

:HaHa:

I guess that would be a "sniper", right? :mellow:

Almost? :Doh:

Maybe just a little?  :close:

103912[/snapback]

Gold%20on%20pallet.jpg - IE?

You're such a copy-cat, Khan. :mellow:

103916[/snapback]

Hey, what else can you expect from an unorigional tyrant?

Hey, what else can you expect from an unoriginal tyrant?

Well, at least you added an 'I'. :mellow:

'Least it shows some glimmer of creativity goin' on in there. :HaHa:

:cunn:

Hey, what else can you expect from an unoriginal tyrant?

Well, at least you added an 'I'. :mellow:

'Least it shows some glimmer of creativity goin' on in there. :HaHa:

:cunn:

103924[/snapback]

kiss_my_ass_happy_bunny_3.jpg

Your definitions of 'trolling' point out your bias.  One person is seen as closed-minded when expressing their views while another non-troll displaying the same antics, behavior, choice of words and inflammatory remarks is expressing themselves.  Then who is the judge of a troll vs a non-troll.  Makes me move on to another forum.  I want real dialogue going both ways.  Not control by a webmaster who gets to determine my intent and my closed-mindedness simply base on whether mu views are acceptable to him/her or not.

103875[/snapback]

Very funny Anton.

If you don't like tacos, but want a burger, don't go to Del Taco, m'kay.

"Makes me move on to another forum." - Fine. So what's stopping you?

• 2 weeks later...

How about adding to the quote mining section: posting quotes from someone on Ex-C without their permission on another website to hurt them, even while giving them credit?

• 2 months later...

In a somewhat similar vein, I imagine that a message board with a sizeable number of members such as this one has a wide variety of "internet personas" especially since the subject matter of this board can be highly controversial.

I just joined the board, but have been lurking for a little bit. The following site was created by a children's book illustrator and actually describes the different personas which might be found on a discussion forum. Each illustration captures the essence of the persona quite well, LOL! I imagine that there is a little bit of each one of them in all of us...Enjoy!

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm